.300 Weatherby Ultra Lightweight recoil

I have one, and I shoot it with out a break, If you are recoil sensitive I would definitely recommend a break. From field positions I find it comfortable to shoot, but long range sessions from a bench can get tiring. If you buy the rifle and put a break on it just remove it for hunting and avoid the noise.

I don't care for a pounding at the range. I've shot a 300 WBY in a lighter gun platform and about 5 shots and I had my fill. So for hunting, sure you bet. Practice with a different gun though. Ammo is $$$ too.

My father and I both have 300 Wby Ultralites but they're braked. I would think without the brake they wouldn't be much fun after a few shots.

Carry an Ultra light up the hill to save a few pounds? Reduce gear weight or body weight but carry a heavier gun that's more comfortable to shoot.

Carry an Ultra light up the hill to save a few pounds? Reduce gear weight or body weight but carry a heavier gun that's more comfortable to shoot.

I have to admit, I am terrible in packing lighter gear but have gotten used to it throughout the years. Sadly, most do not put in the time in physical conditioning because it involves hard work. :cool: I am not saying I am physically fit but the time and efforts I put in the gym 3-5X a week all year around certainly helps going up and down the Montana wilderness. Last Saturday, my hunting party of 4 hauled 2 bull elk. A pound or two weight saving from our rifles or gear did not matter much. :D

BTW, I use a Kifaru universal gunbearer ...

Last edited:
That is pretty cool.

As far as a pound or two, I once packed 2 rear elk quarters out in my Kuiu pack. It was .25 miles (short haul). When I off loaded my pack I felt a little shorter. It was a really heavy load yet pack was comfortable. I once tried to carry my 2 year old at the time around the block in a baby pack and that sucked. She was maybe 30 lbs max. I ended up calling the wife to pick us up around the corner because it sucked and Bree fell asleep in a bad angle and I was worried. Point is a good pack and 2 rear quarters can be comfortable compared to a crappy pack and 30 lbs.
As far as adding a pound or two. While packing out that cow, half way through the trip I was handed the head to carry in hand. It was uncomfortable on the hands and forearms. As far as weight, I only did it to prove to myself I could.

For many years I shot all of the big bores just like they came. I was never recoil sensitive and i just assumed recoil came with the territory.

The first time I saw a muzzle brake I though it was ugly and when I shot it i was not impressed. so I just kept on shooting without. When I bought my M 82 A1 In 50 BMG I hated the brake until I tried it without the brake. At 117 ft/lbs of recoil I had reached my limit so I decided to design a brake for the 50 that would not make your sinuses bleed after 20 ot 30 shots.

After building a brake that reduced recoil to 45.5 ft/lbs I suddenly became a big fan of muzzle brakes for big bores. then the local gun ranges started banning the 50 cal and in order to do more testing on my design, I started building them for 30 cal and up to test different design features.

And once again, I saw many benefits in muzzle brakes. After refining my brakes, lots of my friends wanted them installed on much smaller cartridges for muzzle control and faster follow up shots.

I still have a few big bore rifles (416 and 458s) that don't have brakes
but in the future I feel I will get around to outfitting them with a brake.

With any high powered rifle, hearing protection should be worn if you intend to preserve your hearing, so a well designed brake should not discarded just because you don't want to wear hearing protection.

I have found NO downside to muzzle brakes and in many cases improved accuracy, improved shooter ability to concentrate on trigger control and position instead of worrying about getting the crap knocked out of you.

Correction: It normally does cost more in ammo because you will shoot more.

Light weight rifles have another form of felt recoil call 'recoil velocity'
and this makes them undesirable to many shooters. With recoil velocity the same amount of recoil potential in a cartridge if delivered
to the shooter faster than in a heavier rifle and it makes the felt recoil
seem much more.

So in my opinion, a light weight rifle is the perfect place for a good muzzle brake no matter what the cartridge/caliber is.

J E CUSTOM

Well, opinions are like the whole in your rear. Everybody's got at least one. I'm surprised that virtually everyone offered that some sort of break is the answer, with barely a passing mention of suppressors. Anymore, I really hate giving advise, because wisemen don't need it, and fools won't heed it...so you don't have to take it ( believe me)...but here goes. Have had a Wby.300 ULW since they came out, which corresponded to about the time I started getting old, so I appreciated the light carry, with the 14 oz Swarovski. The sound and recoil was manageable. Then came out the Wby.30-378 with the attached break. First shot at game blew my hearing out...right there on the spot. I sat down for ten minutes with bells crashing in my head while the elk flopped on the next hill. It never got better. The bells are still ringing right now. I never shot it again. I hate lawyers, but thought often I should have sued Weatherby for not putting a fold-out 4' flour. red warning in every box with a break in it. Wonder how many guys that happened to? Last ten years I shoot everything suppressed. Both my ULWs still carry the 14 oz Swar and both barrels are threaded. The recoil doesn't bother me as I get older, because the can knocks off about 40%...the same with the sound. No need for muffs. Now knowing that pups always have to find out for themselves...I will say, don't believe what you just read...so go out and blow your ear drums out with those **** muzzle breaks...and find out for yourselves.

Well, opinions are like the whole in your rear. Everybody's got at least one. I'm surprised that virtually everyone offered that some sort of break is the answer, with barely a passing mention of suppressors. Anymore, I really hate giving advise, because wisemen don't need it, and fools won't heed it...so you don't have to take it ( believe me)...but here goes. Have had a Wby.300 ULW since they came out, which corresponded to about the time I started getting old, so I appreciated the light carry, with the 14 oz Swarovski. The sound and recoil was manageable. Then came out the Wby.30-378 with the attached break. First shot at game blew my hearing out...right there on the spot. I sat down for ten minutes with bells crashing in my head while the elk flopped on the next hill. It never got better. The bells are still ringing right now. I never shot it again. I hate lawyers, but thought often I should have sued Weatherby for not putting a fold-out 4' flour. red warning in every box with a break in it. Wonder how many guys that happened to? Last ten years I shoot everything suppressed. Both my ULWs still carry the 14 oz Swar and both barrels are threaded. The recoil doesn't bother me as I get older, because the can knocks off about 40%...the same with the sound. No need for muffs. Now knowing that pups always have to find out for themselves...I will say, don't believe what you just read...so go out and blow your ear drums out with those **** muzzle breaks...and find out for yourselves.

You are right, Opinions are Like *** Holes and everybody has one.
I'm sorry you hurt your hearing (Something we all should worry about) But you had to shoot that rifle to get it sited in and knew it would/could hurt your hearing so don't blame anything on the rifle
for your decision to shoot it without hearing protection.

I have heard all the pros and cons of "ANY" attachment and also the use of any rifle without hearing protection, and the owner is responsible for his decision as to how he will address the problems of
firing any firearm. Hearing is not the only reason for a muzzle device. The eyes can be damaged also from recoil. I have known several people that have had retinal detachments from to much recoil and lost there sight in that eye.

The loudest rifle I ever shot was an AK (Only one time with out ear plugs) because of that angled piece of crap on the end of the barrel
and that taught me that I needed to do something to protect my eyes and hearing.

I have nothing against suppressors so I have nothing to say about the use of them except on typical long barreled rifles that become necessary for our type of hunting. They are ungainly at best at 50 + inches and adding a suppressor In my opinion can render them unusable.

In a short barreled rifle i can see the attraction but not in a rifle where velocity and portability are the norm. For many years they were against the law and in many places you still have to buy a license to possess one. So in every case the suppressor is not the perfect solution.

There are disadvantages to most everything and nothing is the perfect answer for every use or like, so don't condemn brakes just because you like suppressors. Personally I like the clean lines of a fine rifle that doesn't have anything attached to the muzzle, but in some cases I forgo the aesthetics, and revert to what gives the best overall performance for what I am going to use it for.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

Enjoyed reading your reply, JE. In this era of denying the personal responsibility of one's actions, be aware I take the blame for my stupidity, or lack of information...in fact both. But, with "custom" in your name, what's your excuse for your lack of knowledge about modern suppressors? I take the blame for shooting on an Army AMU six days a week, and thinking inserts, cotton over, and muffs were enough. That shooting a box of rounds to sight in ( muffs on ) didn't prepare me for real life hunting conditions (and that first shot ) without muffs. Or, my career as a N/S Pacific tuna fisherman, who never wore muffs in the engine room because when you're a week, or so, away from land, you want to hear any new sounds coming from your machinery, before it becomes a breakdown. I hunted with a doctor this year who lost his hearing, in one ear, ( like me - first shot), after a custom shop convinced him that their break was what he needed to tame his Magnum. Ergo my disdain for breaks. Many of my arsenal of threaded barrels are 26"...and did you know that you can take them off, and carry in your pack, till you want to make your long shot. All my cans are 8" or less, and weigh less than 1 #. Back to personal responsibility...do you believe it fair-warning for a manufacturer, supplier, or custom shop to warn of hearing damage? Or would that crimp sales? As for " best overall performance"...everything I shoot with a can on is MORE accurate than without, and if you miss, the animal will just stand there wondering where that sonic crack came from. But, as I said before, don't believe me, better to believe your lying ears after you find out for yourself. And for Gosh sakes, don't do any research on cans.

Enjoyed reading your reply, JE. In this era of denying the personal responsibility of one's actions, be aware I take the blame for my stupidity, or lack of information...in fact both. But, with "custom" in your name, what's your excuse for your lack of knowledge about modern suppressors? I take the blame for shooting on an Army AMU six days a week, and thinking inserts, cotton over, and muffs were enough. That shooting a box of rounds to sight in ( muffs on ) didn't prepare me for real life hunting conditions (and that first shot ) without muffs. Or, my career as a N/S Pacific tuna fisherman, who never wore muffs in the engine room because when you're a week, or so, away from land, you want to hear any new sounds coming from your machinery, before it becomes a breakdown. I hunted with a doctor this year who lost his hearing, in one ear, ( like me - first shot), after a custom shop convinced him that their break was what he needed to tame his Magnum. Ergo my disdain for breaks. Many of my arsenal of threaded barrels are 26"...and did you know that you can take them off, and carry in your pack, till you want to make your long shot. All my cans are 8" or less, and weigh less than 1 #. Back to personal responsibility...do you believe it fair-warning for a manufacturer, supplier, or custom shop to warn of hearing damage? Or would that crimp sales? As for " best overall performance"...everything I shoot with a can on is MORE accurate than without, and if you miss, the animal will just stand there wondering where that sonic crack came from. But, as I said before, don't believe me, better to believe your lying ears after you find out for yourself. And for Gosh sakes, don't do any research on cans.

I don't want this to become a P!$$!*@ match and was just expressing my opinion as to why one attachment is not the final solution to all of our needs. on this we discuss
all different opinions and try not to take someones opinion personal unless they intend for it to be personal and this keeps this site a valuable tool for learning.

If you have read any of my post you should know that I am notorious about doing research and then testing it out to verify the claims. I have nothing against suppressors, muzzle brakes, flash hiders or any other attachments if used in the right way for the conditions or needs.

Suppressors just don't work for my needs and uses. It is difficult enough to carry a 50'' rifle around much less a 60'' rifle and add another pound to the already 12 to 14 pound rifle. Ear protection is much lighter and easier to handle/use. I understand the attraction for night hunting where ranges are very short and velocity is not important because of it, but adding all the disadvantages to a long range rifle is just something I don't see the logic in.

As far as accuracy, most of the time if you add weight to the muzzle of a rifle, accuracy will improve.

While we are on the subject of suppressors if they are placed on an AR platform, they will change port pressures and must be adjusted for to prevent damage. Muzzle brakes don't have this problem, so as I said everything has its strong points and weak points.

I am glad you can use them for your kind of hinting, I just don't think they will work for my needs. and by the way, Nothing is stupid the first time if you learn from it. It only becomes stupid the second time you do it.

J E CUSTOM

Right on JE ! We learn from every experience. One of the things I've never learned is diplomacy. That along with my short fuse made me a likely candidate to be a high-seas fisherman, ( with a crew that has to follow orders). I once fired a guy who couldn't learn a clovehitch by Friday. I first learned of suppressors in NZ, where every hardware store sells them. Have turned on lots of friends to them since. Use them from sage rats to elk and all that's in between. I sound like the town crier for them, but if everybody used them, the elk wouldn't know the season was on. I couldn't carry a 12-14# rifle anymore, so I'll use a can on a light rifle to dampen recoil. As far as wearing ear protection while hunting...that's one of those things easier said than done. When things are happening fast, plus buck or bull fever has kicked in, I always forget those ear plugs on the string around my neck. I invited the doc and his disabled 32 son to hunt deer on my place this year. He made the first kill with my new PAC-Nor 6.5cm barrel with Burris Eliminator and can at 635 yds. It was a "poof" and we waited three seconds for the bullet to get there and you never saw a happier kid...and the deaf in one eared doc said " now I have to get three of those...for myself and other son".

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.