Barrel Length 300 Ultra

billinpa

Hi guys. I am a newbie to this site. I have been reading the posts for a week or so and am very pleased by what I have seen. Lots of very good information for not only the new guys ( and gals ) but also for the "pros". Ok to my question. I have been going long range hunting with a buddy and his dad a couple of times a year for the past several years and realy enjoy it. I have been shooting "chucks" out to 400-500 yds for the last several years with a heavy barrel 22-250 and have become quite confident at those ranges. I have a 300 win that I can shoot 1/4-1/2" groups with at 200yds ( farthest shot on the range I shoot at ). I have decided to take the "plunge" and build a long range gun for deer hunting with here in PA and for possibly taking out west on our yearly trips for elk.

I was leaning towards a 7-300 Wby but I have decided on a 300 Ultra with an HV barrel with a 10 twist and varmint style stock. I am going with the Rem 700 action. Which is what the guys I have gone with recomend and from what I've seen and read is a good action. Going for the leupold 6.5-20 LR scope. The thing I can't decide on is what length barrel to go with. I have been thinking 30-32" so I can keep the weight to a reasonable limit. I am going to have Howard Wolfe build the gun ( I hope )so I am sure he would have a good idea but I though I'd run it by you guys also.

Also if anyone knows where I can get my hands on a Barr & Stroud rangefinder please let me know. I'm having a VERY hard time finding one.

Thanks and good shooting
Bill

[ 02-01-2003: Message edited by: billinpa ]

Hello Bill and welcome

Your on the right track as I have had a few 7/300 Weatherby's and several different chamberings of 30 cals over the years. Many of them chambered by Howard Wolfe.

All of them had at least 30" and 32" barrels and performed very well.

With the large selection of bullets in the 308 Bore diameters I think you have made a very good decision.

What part of Central PA are you located?

I have a Barr and Stroud and a Wild military rangefinder I was thinking of selling in the near future.

My # here in Cameron County is--814-546-2674

Good luck to you.
Darryl Cassel

[ 02-01-2003: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

Darryl

Thanks for the information. I live just south of Williamsport (20 miles) near Lewisburg. I am sure I am making a good choice in having Wolfe do the gun work for me. I have seen and shot several rifles built by him and they have all been shooters.

I am glad I'm on the right track with the barrel length. I thought about going longer than 32 but don't want to have to go with a barrel block so I can keep weight down. Although I have heard that some guys go with a block on a 32. Any thought on the Shehane tracker stocks. I like the looks of the varmint stock and at a reasonable price.

Regarding my choice of the 300 Ultra over the 7/300 Wby I did take into account the selection of bullets. I know there is some realy great bullets for the 7mm but I like the weight choices in the .308 better. It was not an easy choice as the guys I have hunted with use the 7/300 Wby and it is no doubt a very accurate and hard hitting round. I was along when the guys got two doe this past season at just over 800 yds and they dropped like they were smacked with a sledge hammer.

They also use a 30-378 and a 338-378 depending on possible ranges for the location. I do like the fact that the wash from the .308 and .388 bullets are easier to watch into the target than the 7mm ( at least for me ). I also have a good supply of 168gr SMK that I have been playing with in my 300 win that I thought of using in the Ultra for thining the local chuck population and for break in use.

Again thanks for the info and I'll try and catch up with you on the rangefinders. When would be a good time to contact you.

Thanks
Bill

Hey Bill,

I too am having a 300 Ultra built.. I opted for a 27" barrel . plus break brings me to almost 28.5" .. I wanted to keep the weight down and have a rifle that is easy to "hump" around the moutains here in WY. For some reason I get faster speeds here at altitude and less pressure signs than back east. I can still achieve the velocities I need to make this rifle perform...
I hunt usually by myself so I typically won't be shooting past 1K ....

Are you from the GGVG board?

If you gonna be inn Harrisburg for the show... stop by Booth 383 in the NE Hall Travel Section.... say Howdy!!!

psst.... Don't bring Darryl.. he just shows me stuff that makes me wanna spend more money!!!! Then I have to buy the wife another horse so I can buy another rifle...
shocked.gif
grin.gif
wink.gif

Bill,I shoot two 300 Ultra's.One with a 30" 10 twist Hart Sendero taper barrel built on a 700 action.In a Master 1000 Benchrest stock it weigh's 13.5 pound's.I also have a Sendero stock that I can switch to that take's about a pound off the weight.I am able to get a touch over 3000fps with a 240 in that gun
fce25358.jpg

Bill

You will find that the deer will drop like a hammer with most "any" good LR caliber.
As per the rangefinders, You can call most any evening.
Email me for both phone numbers.

Ric

I didn't think the cost of the horse was the issue in many cases unless her taste is for high dollar types?
I understand It was the upkeep over the year that was the bigger problem.

Rifles don't need much upkeep---hence, buy her a new rifle and your way ahead. She may even let you use it to, if your a good boy.
wink.gif
wink.gif

I may not be able to come down to the show this year. Have some things to take care of.
Hope it works out for you and Dollie as it usually does.

Later
DC
smile.gif

Holy Cow with a gun that nice .. I would at least smile....
grin.gif

DC... gonna miss visiting with ya this year....don't forget you have credit at DNR....

Boyd, I'm leaving in the a.m. tomorrow so I'll see ya there....

Hey guys thanks for the replies. I am realy getting pumped over this project....can't stop thinking about it !!!

wyowhisper,

I have pretty much decided on the 32" barrel as I don't plan on hiking to far with the rig. I do have a Styer SBS in 300 win that I use for elk out west and have used it on one deer in PA. Love that gun...sweet shooter right out of the box...love the looks I get when someone see it for the first time as it has the "ugly" black stock that I could use as a carry gun if I'm hiking to far for the "big gun". Also no I'm not from GGVG. Almost forgot I'll be down to the show on monday, have to meet with my outfitter and put the down payment on our yearly elk trip. I'll swing by and say hi.

Boyd,

Sweet looking rig !! How do you like the tripod rest ? Is it stable enough for shots out to 1K ? I was looking at getting one of them if they are good. I see your from Lock Haven, do you do any hunting around Rauchtown? The reason I asked is I ran into some guys up off of rt880 longranging this past deer season.

Darryl

I'll drop you a line via email

Good shooting
Bill

Hello I have a 300 ultra mag necked to .338 with 1 in 10 twist 4 groove 30"
pac-nor stainless match on markX action that is very capable at long range with the sierra
250sbt and the 300 gr mk is not slouchy.

Boyd, is that one of those tripods hart sells? And do you like that over a shooting bench for hunting here in PA.
grin.gif

bubb,that tripod is a Mcfadden tripod...We have taken deer over 1000 yard's off of one...We use it 99.9% of the time....You can get that tripod at Miller's Gun shop in Mill Hall,Pa......They are around $300.00.They weigh 14 pound's....I'll never be without one....Give Phil Miller a call at (570)726-3030....And he will hook you up...

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.