.300 Norma magnum for hunting??

i had that problem also, then sent 3 fired cases with my sizer die to forster and problem went away. i can take a sized measurement when i get a chance for you.

i agree with the bolt click being body not getting sized enough as what i was told.

first lot 3-4x fired .586
2nd lot 1-x fired .5865 just barely moved calipers open more but did and read between lines.

sorry no fired cases at this time! gun at smiths getting new break on and bolt sent to Gre-tan to bush and turn pin. so cant do.
ABM factory listed 230gr at 2937fps and at 91gr i have more to go but not without a new Little Bastard put on

PS. make sure you check fired case for donot, i ream inside of neck after every firing. i had bullet band setting on donot and got pressure.
88rl 33 is mild with 230? as i am at 91gr rl33 2915fps.

88 gr is getting me in the 2940 range but is a mild load. 92 gr was in the 3100 range. Are you loading with bushing dies with no expander or mandrel?

Last edited:
no, fl sizer made from forster, sent 3 fired cases. has expander ball.

Im a little surprised you are having issues with Doughnuts so much then. I had hell when I was running bushing dies. With no expander ball. I talked to whidden and am going to send some cases off and trade out my die for a custom one that will size down the base a bit better.

Im a little surprised you are having issues with Doughnuts so much then. I had hell when I was running bushing dies. With no expander ball. I talked to whidden and am going to send some cases off and trade out my die for a custom one that will size down the base a bit better.

on a fired case, when i dropped a new bullet down the neck, it stopped hard. i got a forster inside .3085 i believe, and cut it out before i resize. I dont believe i have to every time but I do. Norma brass.

I'm having a 30° improved norma being built right now, I've read a lot about neck donut and sizing issues. Having whidden build me a FL bushing die off my reamer print. Hopefully quality dies, steeper shoulder angle will remedy this issue. 30° should arrest some the brass flow into the shoulder/neck I'm thinking.

20180121_143940.jpg
I'm having a 30° improved norma being built right now, I've read a lot about neck donut and sizing issues. Having whidden build me a FL bushing die off my reamer print. Hopefully quality dies, steeper shoulder angle will remedy this issue. 30° should arrest some the brass flow into the shoulder/neck I'm thinking.

we are all after the same thing, perfection. please update your findings. i am ok with what i have as problem solved with Norma brass donot. Lapua brass may be another answer?
Peterson, Hornady brass?

and i am sending my bolt to Gre-tan for bolt bush and turn pin and repair a burnt bolt and button,stretched primer pocket and gas leak.

Last edited:

The donut is only an issue if the projectile is seated through it ?

The donut is only an issue if the projectile is seated through it ?
That would be correct, if your FL dies push the donut to the inside, and your expander mandrel comes through on the up stroke, it will push that inside donut to the outside the neck from what I've read, causing the need for outside next turning. I may have that all wrong. If you seat the base of the bearing section at or slightly above the shoulder/neck junction the donut shouldn't be an issue until it grows enough that it can cause pressure issues or starts moving slightly up the neck with brass flow. Lapua brass could remedy this issue I'm hoping.

That would be correct, if your FL dies push the donut to the inside, and your expander mandrel comes through on the up stroke, it will push that inside donut to the outside the neck from what I've read, causing the need for outside next turning. I may have that all wrong. If you seat the base of the bearing section at or slightly above the shoulder/neck junction the donut shouldn't be an issue until it grows enough that it can cause pressure issues or starts moving slightly up the neck with brass flow. Lapua brass could remedy this issue I'm hoping.

Lapua brass suffers from donuts just like other brass.

It is caused by the thicker shoulder brass flowing forward.

Lapua brass suffers from donuts just like other brass.

It is caused by the thicker shoulder brass flowing forward.
I'm kinda wondering why Jimmy Sloan never went with a steeper shoulder angle to help mitigate brass flow. The saum and wsm cases I load, have never given me donut issues.

Elkhunter, I had the same issue with my brass after 3-4 firings. I measured the base and found that after sizing it was still the same size as the chamber, had Whidden make me a new sizer with more base sizing to allow for spring-back. Brass now chambers with zero resistance, problem solved.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.