30-30 for elk?

Did you keep the rifle? How'd it shoot?
The next day my Dad and I walked back to retrieve the gun and we couldn't find it! We circled and walked around for a while and gave up. Heavy timber and brush and we could have been off by a hundred yards. Makes me wonder if it could still be there.
I remember feeling very creeped out when I found it, very eerie feeling, and that's why I opted to bring my dad back.

Elk are too noble to be lab rats. Lots of elk were taken decades ago with a 30-30, when thats all people had available. Those days are over. Using an underpowered round these days is nothing but a stunt. Elk size game require a minimum of 1500 ft-lb of energy in a projectile delivered to a vital area. Pre 1960 most elk hunters were feeding their family. Hunting was about subsistence rather than recreation. Times have changed. Don't ask me about archery. I hear far more stories about sticking an arrow in one than actually making a kill. I killed lots of elk, but confess that I wounded some that I never found. Most of those happened when I took a shot that shouldn't have been taken. Young & dumb!
You seem overly predicated on numbers! I'm trying to compare archery to rifles is like trying to compare bicycle tires to oranges!
Your words of advice on here seem to bring hollow and sour. If you told me the sky was blue, I would n't open the door and walk outside just to confirm. Just because you're shooting skills, are that lacking does not contribute to this conversation!

I never have hunted Elk with a .30-30 Win, I hunted a couple of times with a friend who would push deep dense revive(s) for Elk using a Win 94 in .30 WCF in the Cascade Mountains, he had killed a couple that way over the years, and from him and others who hunted with him told me he never lost one, My friend said; his shots were always well within the .30-30 range being quite close. I also have some Canadian friends who have hunted Moose with a .30-30 Win in B.C. Canada. Now this goes back to the late 60s and 70s hunting days. With that said; one of my favorite rifles is my (1942) Win .30 WCF I've never used it for Elk but if I had to I think it would work within its range limitations. I had another hunting buddy that used a Remington Mod 8 in .30 Rem for everything, it's pretty much the ballistical twin of the .30-30 Win. Don't get me wrong I don't think a .30-30 WIn is a good choice for Elk, especially big Elk... but yes, it could and has worked.
Just my 0.2 Cheers.
Think of the number of Alaskan moose that have been killed wit a 30-30.