New 8.6 Blackout Build

Stugots

I have begun my search for components for a new 8.6 Blackout build and am looking for recommendations for a barrel blank, 1 in 3 twist, 16" MTU, M24, heavy Palma contour etc. (weight of this barrel will not be a concern.) Can you recommend a barrel mfgr that makes blanks for these rough parameters? I'm also in search of a reputable gunsmith with history of machining bolt action builds in this caliber. I will be shooting this rifle suppressed (have a TBAC 338 Ultra I expect to get out of jail soon.) I will also be reloading for this caliber. Primary use will be shooting off a bipod w/rear bag with a high degree of accuracy in mind. Suggestions?

Frank from Bartlein Barrels has posted some really informative info on the 8.6 Blackout over at SH. You may want to check that out before you run with a 1:3 twist barrel.

There are very few barrel makers that can do that 1:3 twist. 1:5 is the normal limit for most. If you're planning on shooting subs, you are going to find the 8.6 Blackout has too much case capacity. The 338 Spectre would be a better choice. If you are going to run full power supers, you'll find the 8.6 Blackout is lacking case capacity. 338 Federal would be a better choice. If you want a do-all, I guess it's fine, but kinda sucks at both. Kinda like using a Ferrari to drag race and pull a horse trailer.

Mos-Tek has 1:3 twist blanks, but if you want decent accuracy, I would go with 1:6.5 twist for subs.

Tony

Last edited:

Recent Posts