30-06 powder choice for heavy bullets

Simple solution, when I lived in Az, I had Winter loads and Summer loads.

Novices run the same load year-round when NOT using temp-stable powders. So, run temp-stable powders or learn to load for extremes in temp swings. The solution is simple, at what velocity does your barrel tune? How far do you back off or add to a load as the temperature changes 40*-50*? The process sounds complicated, but the logic is simple. Chronograph the accuracy node, and adjust for hotter and cooler temps.

The same logic applies to barrels as the throat wears. With the throat growing in both length and dia, velocity will be lost, and accuracy will be degraded. So, add to the powder charge to get the velocity back to where the accuracy node is, and often this technique restores accuracy. As the bore wears 6-9" from the throat, and at some point, the barrel is toast.

When I lived in Az, I hunted predators with a 22/250 AI using Win 760, and big game with 7 Mag and 300 Win mag using IMR 4350 with no problems.

I wish I had a life time supply of AR Comp, R#23, and R#26...ain't going to happen

Last edited:
So far my rifle seems to really like 150gr bullets but I'm determined to get it to shoot heavies. 200 eldx bullets are showing some promise
I've been determined to get a certain bullet or bullet weight to work in a rifle or two. I've come to realize that my rifle knows better than I do what it likes and you should listen to it. You can burn through a pile of components trying to make it work.
Sometimes it'll eventually come together and other times I think I would have been better off just buying a different rifle after burning time and components.
Good luck in your quest.

My long range rifle in 30-06 uses a 40X action and 1-9 twist 5R Kreiger barrel 32 inches long. I shoot the Berger 200 20X and 215's. I have had the best luck with StaBil 6.5. I get the best accuracy and velocity with this combination. The 215's average 2875 fps and the 200 2930fps. I use Lapua Cases and Federal 215M primers. I chambered it with PTG's Serengeti chamber reamer.

I've been determined to get a certain bullet or bullet weight to work in a rifle or two. I've come to realize that my rifle knows better than I do what it likes and you should listen to it. You can burn through a pile of components trying to make it work.
Sometimes it'll eventually come together and other times I think I would have been better off just buying a different rifle after burning time and components.
Good luck in your quest.
One rifle will not shoot Hornady bullets. I don't care what you do. I tried different powder different primers. I switched to burgers and here are the results. I probably went through 200 rounds trying to force Hornady bullets to work.
IMG_4894.jpeg

Last edited:
One rifle will not shoot Hornady bullets. I don't care what you do. I tried different powder different primers. I switched to burgers and here are the results. I probably went through 200 rounds trying to force Hornady bullets to work.View attachment 587859
Impressive.
IMR4350 was my 300wby powder to go on my old one, never though of using it for a 30.06 with a lighter bullet.

Impressive.
IMR4350 was my 300wby powder to go on my old one, never though of using it for a 30.06 with a lighter bullet.
I'm sorry I wasn't very clear. These groups were shot with my 6.5 X284 Norma. I was just trying to prove the point that you cannot force your rifle to like a certain powder or projectile. You need to roll with it and try other things if it is not working out. I have a great load that I've shared and other people liked it in their rifle as well in 3006
IMG_2849.png
using H 4350.
image.jpg

Last edited:
I'm sorry I wasn't very clear. These groups were shot with my 6.5 X284 Norma. I was just trying to prove the point that you cannot force your rifle to like a certain powder or projectile. You need to roll with it and try other things if it is not working out. I have a great load that I've shared and other people liked it in their rifle as well in 3006 View attachment 587861using H 4350.View attachment 587862
Thank you for the clarification. Yes I remember you sharing that load before

A little update on my 215gr load. I tried to force it to work... And it seems I've gotten it to do so. I'll have to load up some more to verify at different ranges but a different seating depth and some lighter charge weights made a huge difference

The 200 eldx bullets shot a 2.5 inch group with an SD of 1.7 and an ES of like 3. So I have no hope for those.

Here are some pictures with the 215s

Attachments

• IMG_20240721_121739226.jpg
    IMG_20240721_121739226.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot_20240721-112956.png
    Screenshot_20240721-112956.png
    17.4 KB · Views: 31
I haven't shot these myself, but I have seen reported multiple times that reloader 23 and 26 are magic with 200+ gr bullets in the '06. Good luck finding those powders!

I would try staball 6.5.

I don't shoot 200 gr bullets in my 30-06's but have shot and still shoot lots of 180 gr bullets, my powders of choice are IMR 4350, IMR 4064, and have also used IMR 3031,have found all 3 to be very accurate in my 30-06's and all 3 has worked for me on big game. All 3 are available at the shops near where I live and online.

I'm curious about what kind of brass life you guys get. I'm likely going to put my '06 barrel back on and my only hesitation is that trimming and brass life. I loathe trimming so much