.22 Centerfires on Medium to Large game

.22 Centerfires on Medium to Large game?

• I have used .22 centerfires on medium and/or large game and with good shot placement they kill well.

Votes: 89 63.6%
  • I have used .22 centerfire on game, but even with good shot placement they don’t kill well.

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • I have never used a .22 centerfire on game but don’t think it’s a good idea.

Votes: 43 30.7%
  • Can’t possibly work no matter what real world results show.

Votes: 2 1.4%

• Total voters
There’s a reason there isn’t just 22 centerfire rounds for all game (not including dangerous game) and why there’s a reason for larger caliber, higher case volume rounds. As many have probably heard on here, there isn’t any animal that’s been made too dead

You are correct! The reason is manufacturers come out with new "and better" to get our money.

That’s interesting. Of the 36% of people that have an opposing opinion, only 6% actually have a valid opinion and view point based on actual experience, and not theory. I feel like you can relate that to almost everything in life and people’s opinions hahaha.

IMG_4795.png

2 years ago you couldn’t have convinced me to shoot anything smaller than a 28 Nosler for deer/elk.

Fast forward to last season, I got tired of having an opinion on stuff that I had zero experience with. So I built a 6mm and 22 creed. For nothing more than to verify things for myself.

The MF’s kill and the wound channels are impressive. Can verify that they work extremely well with heavy for caliber ELDM’s going fast.

Now I can put them back in the safe and proceed to kill stuff with my bigger cartridges because I feel better about it for some reason hahaha.

I got laughed at in my teen years for shooting a 243. Only days later to be asked humbly to help track a deer wounded by one of the big 300s.
Big 243 fan. I shot 270 win for years. Then 308. Recently I’ve picked some of the newer 6mms.
They all work real real good.
Shot placement for shot placement 22 vs 300 will both kill. It’s not to say a 22 hitting the same place a 300 hits will do it better

You are correct! The reason is manufacturers come out with new "and better" to get our money.
I’ll agree yes to a point. I totally agree when is same caliber and similar case volumes. Like coming out with a 6.5 creed when there’s a closet full of other very similar 6.5 rounds. Or a 300PRC when there’s already other 300 magnums.

2 years ago you couldn’t have convinced me to shoot anything smaller than a 28 Nosler for deer/elk.

Fast forward to last season, I got tired of having an opinion on stuff that I had zero experience with. So I built a 6mm and 22 creed. For nothing more than to verify things for myself.

The MF’s kill and the wound channels are impressive. Can verify that they work extremely well with heavy for caliber ELDM’s going fast.

Now I can put them back in the safe and proceed to kill stuff with my bigger cartridges because I feel better about it for some reason hahaha.
In the real world I have seen a moose killed with a .22 lr. One shot and dead. Just sayin I won't do it. I have bigger calibers to use and am not recoil sensitive. Now that you proved it too, we can let the rest prove it for themselves or argue for a while.

As said before I have used 22 center fires on a dozen and a half Nebraska whitetail deer and saw many more.
I have also used 250 savage, 25-06, 25 wssm, 256 win mag, 30 Remington AR, 300 win mag, 300 Dakota, 338 lapua. The lapua was used on 2 deer. One was 110 yards dropped instantly with a neck shot. The other was 300 yards quartered slightly away hit an inch or two far forward it went 3-400 yards before it succumbed. When it exited I was lucky enough that it went in the neck and cut the jugular.
So I suppose someone will say that the 338 lapua is too small for deer

I am not saying that it will not work, I am saying that the vast majority shouldn't be attempting it.

That said, I bought a Tikka Superlite 223 and I fully intend to find out this fall exactly what it is capable of, if it works, I will build a full custom. I am also building a 22 Creedmoor

I saw this shortly after this thread started
IMG_4455.jpeg