7 PRC & 140 GR bullets?

So the 140's don't shoot well with the prc freebore? Been thinking about a short prc for suppressor. Like to shoot 140's -150's for deer.

I did not say that cajun. When starting from scratch with reamer design, twist rate choice, etc, a different approach could be taken to hedge your bets on success. I can tell you that from my experience with the 140-150g Noslers, they do love to touch the lands for bug hole accuracy. You may find a good load jumping, wish you the very best.

Yes. Set the reamer design up for 140s, and order a unithroater for use with that same reamer for 180s. This is all in the pursuit of accuracy in the extreme. Paramount to use different twist rates between the 140 and 180, but I have had very, very good accuracy with 9 twists with 140s, not quite as fast as a three groove 11 twist. The 11 twists did not spike pressures like the 9 twist did, in zero freebore reamers. The 9 twists had a very different bore dia also than the 11 twist, Pac Nor vs Hart.

I have had tremendous speed/accuracy out of the Pac Nor three groove in 257 Weatherby and 7 stw. Pac Nor uses a gunsmith that really knows what he is doing. Pac Nor probably has 2000 reamers in stock, second only to Douglas. Land Height in the Pac Nors is very different than other barrel makers and do not exhibit the pressure spike that other barrels do when the bullets obturate in the lands.

The trend is to use the fastest twist available, longest throat, and heaviest bullet, which shooting in the wind at a distance demands.

Impact velocity is one heck of a thing, know your ballistics, and be realistic about the distance you shoot.
Vince, your comments got me thinking and I wonder if something like the 140g Absolute Hammer would produce an accurate load with the saami fb of the 7PRC. I've heard the hammers are fairly insensitive to jump…haven't tested myself so going off of just what I've read. I have some that I was going to try and work up a load for a 0.175" FB in 280ai but have not yet done the load development so I don't have any personal experience. Thoughts as to whether this would be a successful option for the OP?

Testing in your own rifle is really the only way to know the answer to some of these questions.

I have a custom .308 bolt rifle. Overall, the rifle shoots well. I was developing a hunting load with the 165gr Accubond, and was curious to see what the maximum OAL length would be for a round that fit comfortably in the magazine. As it turned out, the bullet was .165" off the rifling at magazine length. To my great surprise, the rifle shot smaller groups with that much jump than it did with any load closer to the rifling.

You are correct, testing is the key, and there are several factors that come into play. When you have a long freebore, you make the best of it.

I copied a State Champ F class shooter's reamer design on 308 that has very short freebore, shorter than the Palma(several variations of this style design). Groups are simply hard to believe with many bullets, even the 155g Sierra tipped match king, 168g TMK, 169g Sierra MK, and 168g Nosler long range accubond. Recently I tried the 170g Norma Tip Strike and found a load that shoots in the 3's and below, consistently. I shot two groups in the zero's last trip to the rifle range with the 170g Norma tip strike. The ogive lengths on the tip strike bullets I have checked are as good as the best of the Berger bullets, and after sectioning a bullet, there is an impressive core/Jacket lock in the base of the bullet.

My 7ss, through a bad choice of bottom metal, has been length restricted since day one on a short action.
It's shooting nosler BT and AB into actual 1" type groups at 300yds, and has for 6-7yrs. The bullets are backed off the lands considerably, prob .050 or more.

Not my choice or preference, and it's the only gun I've ever had that I've even tried with more than .005 or so jump. But it flat out works.

I've upgraded the bottom metal to give me flexibility but not the load.!

Phil, for this reason, I go with Wyatt's internal mag boxes where I can have a country mile of OAL. At my age, I am also fearful of misplacing or losing a detachable magazine box. So, something that I can't lose or miss place is GREAT planning for me. It is hard for me to recall the last time I shot more than one shot on a deer, I could be running single shots only. Twice in my life, I had to fire three shots each on running elk as they were running downhill at some distance.

I haven't tried the SS/Max type cases in BDL setups yet.
the Hawkins Hunter DBM feeds great, and appears fairly difficult to accidentally drop out, hopefully that stays true.
I've got a Snowy Hill for regular XM just haven't used it.

Vince, your comments got me thinking and I wonder if something like the 140g Absolute Hammer would produce an accurate load with the saami fb of the 7PRC. I've heard the hammers are fairly insensitive to jump…haven't tested myself so going off of just what I've read. I have some that I was going to try and work up a load for a 0.175" FB in 280ai but have not yet done the load development so I don't have any personal experience. Thoughts as to whether this would be a successful option for the OP?
140 AH in my 23" 280AI runs 3300 FPS with H100V. Barrel is a 1-7.5" twist.

Recent Posts