.22 Centerfires on Medium to Large game

.22 Centerfires on Medium to Large game?

• I have used .22 centerfires on medium and/or large game and with good shot placement they kill well.

Votes: 180 63.4%
  • I have used .22 centerfire on game, but even with good shot placement they don’t kill well.

Votes: 19 6.7%
  • I have never used a .22 centerfire on game but don’t think it’s a good idea.

Votes: 82 28.9%
  • Can’t possibly work no matter what real world results show.

Votes: 3 1.1%

• Total voters
I killed my first few deer with a 220 swift...good shop placement and good bullets do the trick just fine...when I go out doe hunting I use my 223...I shot them in the head.. usually less than 150 yds...why pull my big guns out when I'm going to do that anyways?

I have seen Two deer killed in West Virginia by the children of the landowner using a Ruger 77 , in 223. 50 or 55 Grn Remington in the Green and yellow box ! Walmart mart Ammo. Both deer were taken three years apart , with one shot fired . The last one the young gir made a perfect heart shot and the deer died within a few steps of where it was shot ! This was perhaps a 75 to 80 yards shot . Although I am not a fan of this practice , I can clearly see how the .223 , 22/250. And 22 Creeds could be extremely effective in the hands of a Good Shooter , on Medium sized game , at moderate ranges ! Shot placement is key , of course !

Good day all, this thread got me to thinking (always a scarry idea I know) about the different bullets I've either personally used or were with hunters side by side when they used them. These were used on deer, elk, lopes, black bears, black buck and a few more:)

*40 NBT
*50 NBT
*52 SMK
*52 Speer HP
*52 Nosler Solid Base
*53 TSX
*55 Berger
*55 Nosler Solid Base
*55 Horn W/C
*55 Sierra HPBT
*55 NBT
*55 Trophy Bonded
*55 Rem SP
*55 Sierra SP
*55 Federal Blue's
*55 Ultra Max SP
*60 Nosler Partition
*60 Nosler Solid Base
*60 Sierra HP
*62 TTSX
*63 Sierra SMP
*70 Barnes Original
*73 Berger
*85.5 Berger

Imagine there's a few that I've forgot over the years but this is a goodly share of them

Lots of mule deer and a couple of cow elk. Kids, wives and gun in hand when opportunity presents. When planned nosler 60 gr partition when not planned whatever was in the gun. Never had an animal get away. Not my first choice but very efficient killers, both 22-250 and 223
A 22-250 with 60 grain partitions is viscous on whitetail and black bear.

243 win 90 gr eld-x
22 creedmoor 80 gr eld-x
Same style of hunting bullet, 10 grains different weight, but as close to apples to apples with factory rounds. I would think that with the 88 or 90 grain it would give an edge to the 22 creedmoor from the start.
If you think that a 243 win is capable for deer ( in some states it's legal for elk) then so is a 22 creedmoor.

Attachments

• IMG_3125.png
    IMG_3125.png
    56.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_3123.png
    IMG_3123.png
    38 KB · Views: 41
Sounds like someone who's never had a real need for "magnums"…there's a difference 😂
At the grocery store there is a rack full of condoms….and 3 rows with packages marked "large" "extra large" and "super".
The only difference from the regular condoms is the wording printed on the box….there is no package of condoms marked "small".

And no box of ammo says " short range" either.

Ok so hiw many of you 22 cal guys wak from home and go hunting. I bet you take your truck. Yoi do know walking will get the job dine. There is also the fact that the largest grizzly killed at one timw was wirh a 22 romfire. Do you guys then say the 22 rimfire is an adequate grizzly round. Why do you imsit on pushing an envelope that dpesn;t need to be pushed.

Ok so hiw many of you 22 cal guys wak from home and go hunting. I bet you take your truck. Yoi do know walking will get the job dine. There is also the fact that the largest grizzly killed at one timw was wirh a 22 romfire. Do you guys then say the 22 rimfire is an adequate grizzly round. Why do you imsit on pushing an envelope that dpesn;t need to be pushed.
You are correct about that bear. I read that many years ago. If I recall correctly it was a woman who killed it using a .22 short to boot! (Bullet went in his ear!) Again: Shot placement is everything. 😄

People in the generation before mine went through the great depression. Money and ammo were hard to come by, so they did what they had to do. My grandfather was a trapper in S.E. Louisiana but he also farmed and raised livestock. He killed many a hog with a .22 caliber with one shot, but when it came to "hunting" he never reached for one. If you absolutely HAVE to use one, make sure your aim is true. Personally, they're not my go to for game bigger than a rabbit. Yes, I know times and loads have changed, but being ethical in the dispatching will always be foremost in my mind. I knew many an "outlaw" that deer hunted with a .22 Marlin open sight and dispatched with one shot to the head. But in this day and age with the availability of ammo and guns, I just can't see doing this regularly.

Recent Posts