22 ARC

Oh so the comparison was for both cartridges in an AR platform ? Still, the 22-250 would need the AR10 unless it was using a 40 grain bullet based on the OAL.
Nope not just an A.R. 15 even in a bolt action. Again traditional 22-250 with traditional Bullets will be beat by the new 22 Arc… regardless of the platform it is being shot out of. This is the same argument that people had for the 7 mm PRC versus the 7 mm Remington mag. Yes, one can build a rifle with a specific twist rate for a specific bullet, but for off-the-shelf guns and over the counter ammo the 22 arc will beat a traditional, 22–250.

The tough nut to crack on this cartridge is going to be magazines of all things. I can deal with running 200rds of Grendel brass thru a Dillon with a series of dies and mandrels to form the case, but the mags are truly a pita.

A few other thoughts. Plastic tipped bullets in a funky feeding AR is a bad idea. I hope Hornady doesn't make the reamer specs for thin necked boutique 22 ARC brass that only they make and will trickle out over the next two years like the 6mm ARC did. That will prevent people from being able to form their own without having to neck turn.

My 22GT w. 22" 1:7" pushes a 77TMK @ 3186fps with a warmish load of H4350.
Or...a 90SMK @ 3085. 85.5 Hyb @ 3097.

While those are pretty good for the small case, they are nowhere near .22-250 velocities.

My 24" .223 pushes a 69SMK @ 3033fps.
View attachment 505182
Those .223 #'s would be perfect for the varmits I need to eliminate around my place. is that a standard .223 chamber? How much freebore……thanks!

To the people to that are saying that it don't come close to the 22-250, it does, as they said, if the 22-250 is of saami spec, ie, saami loaded ammo in a saami spec rifle with a 55g in the 22-250 and saami specs with a 62g of the 22arc, its 300fps ish slower, bring the 22arc to a 55g and I bet it could be right with the 22-250, in a ar15 platform which a 22-250 will never be in.
Also, a big reason I really like what hornady is doing, the 22arc is efficient in the amount of powder it uses to get those speeds, O would like to see some reloading data on the 22arc as I believe it will be a nice cartridge. I've looked at reloading data of the 22-250 and some data that others that have been shooting the 22 grendel(arc) some claim 3000-3100 with 80's, noslers reloading data with the 22-250 is right around that area as well. Its the closest thing to touching the 22-250 with ammo on the shelf and without wildcatting.

To the people to that are saying that it don't come close to the 22-250, it does, as they said, if the 22-250 is of saami spec, ie, saami loaded ammo in a saami spec rifle with a 55g in the 22-250 and saami specs with a 62g of the 22arc, its 300fps ish slower, bring the 22arc to a 55g and I bet it could be right with the 22-250, in a ar15 platform which a 22-250 will never be in.
Also, a big reason I really like what hornady is doing, the 22arc is efficient in the amount of powder it uses to get those speeds, O would like to see some reloading data on the 22arc as I believe it will be a nice cartridge. I've looked at reloading data of the 22-250 and some data that others that have been shooting the 22 grendel(arc) some claim 3000-3100 with 80's, noslers reloading data with the 22-250 is right around that area as well. Its the closest thing to touching the 22-250 with ammo on the shelf and without wildcatting.
Be interesting to see this in live time not on paper.

I like to handload. And I've messed with wildcats. But readily available ammo for a AR-15 platform in a cartridge that can run the heavies sounds like a nice idea. Never understood the Hornady bashing thing. They innovate or at least improve many things in our sport and while I'm sure this cartridge isn't the silver bullet, with the price of components being what they are and the ability to get small rifle primers easily I like the idea of a non wildcat that sips powder, gets decent velocity with 75gr+ .224 bullets and uses small rifle primers. I'll probably build an upper and give it a try.

Seems like Hornady is trying to claim any market share that Federal had left with the 224 Valkyrie. This cartridge isn't intended to compete with the 22-250 and they know that. It's obvious that Hornady saw a way they could expand on their success of the 6ARC by doing their marketing magic on a 22 cal version. I didn't bother with the 6ARC because I have a 224 Valkyrie and it beast the ballistics of the ARC with the 88gr eldm. Seems like the 22 ARC might become the best factory ammo AR15 offering yet.

According to Hornady, it's 2.250 with that 62 eld vt bullet allowing for mag fed option. As far as comparing the 22ARC to the 22-250, it's gotta be apples to apples. Same twist and same bullet in both cartridges. Then compare. The 22-250 hands down wins. No competition. Just Hornady putting their spin on their new development.
The problem with your view of an apples to apples comparison is that the 22-250 will have to be a custom rifle and ammo against a saami spec rifle and ammo. How is that an apples to apples comparison?
A 62g bullet in the 22arc vs a 55g bullet in the 22-250 is as close to an apples to apples comparison as it gets to date, everything is saami spec, no custom anything. This is about on the shelf ammo and rifles that get close to a 22-250, not custom ammo or rifles.
Even if it were custom everything, from the data I have seen on the 22 grendel(arc) is darn close if not right at what can be achieved in a 22-250 but one will fit in an ar15.

Seems like Hornady is trying to claim any market share that Federal had left with the 224 Valkyrie. This cartridge isn't intended to compete with the 22-250 and they know that. It's obvious that Hornady saw a way they could expand on their success of the 6ARC by doing their marketing magic on a 22 cal version. I didn't bother with the 6ARC because I have a 224 Valkyrie and it beast the ballistics of the ARC with the 88gr eldm. Seems like the 22 ARC might become the best factory ammo AR15 offering yet.
Undoubtedly it is already if it's on par with the 22-250

Here's another way to spin it, a straight .223 in a 24/26" bolt gun will do what a saami loaded 22ARC will. And in all things practical, enable more commonly producible accuracy by the shooter. Shooting Pdogs off a tripod? 18lb bolt gun all day. I load mass quantities of .223 on a Dillon. 75gr at 2930fps with 8208. I bet factory ARC ammo will be 2900 - 2950 based on how hard I have to step on my 22 Grendel to get it to 3000fps.

Be nice if they d produce some 6 ARC brass before building new cartridges…. Support those of us who ve already boughten/built one of their newer whiz bangs…. Just Sayin ….
Do you need some? I have some I bought thinking I would neck it down to 22 but with this coming out, the 22arc is in sight now. Pm me if interested.