2024 Meat Pole

Here's the start of my big game season. I took this doe at 540 yards. There were many firsts for me this hunt.
  1. New hunt unit. It was fantastic and I hope I draw there again soon.
  2. New game cart was put into use. Awesome. It can be found Here.
  3. New Leica Geovid R binoculars were put into use. I will never go back to a monocular rangefinder again.
  4. First kill with my Tikka CTR .308 with a 4-16 ATACR. This gun is dial, point, and shoot. It's hits everything effortlessly.
  5. New bullet used. Sierra 155 TMK. It kills stuff.
  6. First coyote killed. I actually shot two on this hunt. Both DRT with rifle and bullet mentioned above.
  7. New bipod. I have the new Gunwerks bipod. It's outstanding. I was able to take my shot from a seated position with my backpack under the stock in the rear.
  8. First time using a suppressor on a hunt. So satisfying taking the shot, looking through the scope, seeing impact, and then clearly hearing the whack of the bullet.
Out of the four of us, two of us tagged out. We simply ran out of time as we only had two days to hunt. Back to work…yay…

IMG_9349.jpeg

I just returned from my Wyoming wilderness hunt.
Hot, dry and smoky!!. Flew into Jackson Hole a few days early to acclimate and felt like I had a two pack a day habit. Probably double that, even my luggage needs airing out. Thankfully we rode into the wilderness up and away for the smoke.

I met my fellow hunters the evening before and had a great group for camp mates. Next morning we had a hearty breakfast at the ranch and were delivered to the trailhead for a 6 hour ride. (Day one)

Day two the action started after our noon up nap we made a big move across the drainage where a few bulls and small herd of cows were bulging. After a very close encounter the herd drifted and we made on finally loop to a large clearing where they never showed. 22 miles on the horse

Day three rode out two hours before dark to arrive to our first light spot. Hunted on foot for a few hours and my guide went back for the horses while I watched over an amazing vista. Saw a large bull a few miles away walk into the timber but was well inside the Yellowstone boarder. Spent our noon up spot taking two naps and began hunting back at 5:00 when the wind turned in our favor. Lots of sign but no luck. Back to camp 9:00ish.

Day four. We headed towards the same area of day two but were planning to go behind the mt. 2/3rds the way up on a switchback my guide looked behind me and his eyes gave me the first alarm followed by the furious pointing at the ground signal. I was on a large fat mare and tapped my toe out of the sturrup, swung down and was on the ground without falling down with the stirrup about eye level now. Shucked the rifle, racked a round and tried to get my footing while spotting the elk. A soft cow call had him standing but I was still trying to get steady, off hand sharply uphill to the bull. He started to get moving, I swung with him seeing the vertical crosshair ahead of his legs-when they disappeared inline with his leg I broke the shot. The rifle I put together from parts acquired here is a defiance Anti-x, prefit 300 PRC. Shooting 182 HHT Hammers at 3250. Trijicon Credo scope. Shot entered top of lung and exited off side backstrap. Two follow up shots from there were misses and I ran up hill 70 yards to the nearest tree for a rest. Loaded two more shells on the way and put him down for good with those. As the exertion, excitement and adrenaline hit all at once we hugged, high fived and sucked in the thin air. Bull down!!

When I could talk I said that wasn't my best shooting display and Matt said, "Joe, there is a dead bull elk right over there!" and "I've never had or seen a hunter pull all that off in less than 20 seconds probably less" We went back and ranged the shot at 245 yards where the first three brass lay in a little triangle on the ground.

To say this hunt was beyond my wildest dreams is the understatement of my life.

tempImagesxJZTg.pngtempImageECiM3Q.pngtempImagetejvzb.pngtempImagerjSYW9.png

I just returned from my Wyoming wilderness hunt.
Hot, dry and smoky!!. Flew into Jackson Hole a few days early to acclimate and felt like I had a two pack a day habit. Probably double that, even my luggage needs airing out. Thankfully we rode into the wilderness up and away for the smoke.

I met my fellow hunters the evening before and had a great group for camp mates. Next morning we had a hearty breakfast at the ranch and were delivered to the trailhead for a 6 hour ride. (Day one)

Day two the action started after our noon up nap we made a big move across the drainage where a few bulls and small herd of cows were bulging. After a very close encounter the herd drifted and we made on finally loop to a large clearing where they never showed. 22 miles on the horse

Day three rode out two hours before dark to arrive to our first light spot. Hunted on foot for a few hours and my guide went back for the horses while I watched over an amazing vista. Saw a large bull a few miles away walk into the timber but was well inside the Yellowstone boarder. Spent our noon up spot taking two naps and began hunting back at 5:00 when the wind turned in our favor. Lots of sign but no luck. Back to camp 9:00ish.

Day four. We headed towards the same area of day two but were planning to go behind the mt. 2/3rds the way up on a switchback my guide looked behind me and his eyes gave me the first alarm followed by the furious pointing at the ground signal. I was on a large fat mare and tapped my toe out of the sturrup, swung down and was on the ground without falling down with the stirrup about eye level now. Shucked the rifle, racked a round and tried to get my footing while spotting the elk. A soft cow call had him standing but I was still trying to get steady, off hand sharply uphill to the bull. He started to get moving, I swung with him seeing the vertical crosshair ahead of his legs-when they disappeared inline with his leg I broke the shot. The rifle I put together from parts acquired here is a defiance Anti-x, prefit 300 PRC. Shooting 182 HHT Hammers at 3250. Trijicon Credo scope. Shot entered top of lung and exited off side backstrap. Two follow up shots from there were misses and I ran up hill 70 yards to the nearest tree for a rest. Loaded two more shells on the way and put him down for good with those. As the exertion, excitement and adrenaline hit all at once we hugged, high fived and sucked in the thin air. Bull down!!

When I could talk I said that wasn't my best shooting display and Matt said, "Joe, there is a dead bull elk right over there!" and "I've never had or seen a hunter pull all that off in less than 20 seconds probably less" We went back and ranged the shot at 245 yards where the first three brass lay in a little triangle on the ground.

To say this hunt was beyond my wildest dreams is the understatement of my life.

View attachment 609815View attachment 609816View attachment 609817View attachment 609818
Thanks for the detailed write up; and the fabulous pictures.