.257 Hornady A-Tip

Well, it's no secret I'm not much of a fan of H.
But this .350 G7 is serious.
How do they perform on deer sized game?
I know somebody uses them surely, Isn't that what match bullets are for? Hunting?
I'm following I know that the a tip is a match Target bullet but if they're going to make something that would be for hunting I'm interested for my 7M mag

I really like to see how well one expands what the bullet actually looks like after impact guys use them all the time they say but I'm never seen one that has actually opened up after impact in order to see what it looks like

A-tips typically don't open up. They tend to come apart inside, thus transferring more impact energy to the animal. Again, think Berger, but not quite as drastic. I have had a few "mushroom", but very few and then asymetrically. If you want a mushroom or expansion, then I would suggest going with a bonded or monolithic bullet.

At the encouragement of a man who hunts for a living I used A-Tips in my 6.5 SAUM @3000 fps on my last deer hunt. At 300 yards a large doe expended her lungs out her off side ribs - with a significant/stunning thwack factor. That's just me. One guy. One time. But the friend who encouraged me to try that uses the exact same thing, at the same speed, for everything he shoots, and that includes everything from big game to small game and coyotes, too.

Someone from the target shooting world asked him, while I was there, why he used such a large setup when a smaller rifle would do. He said, "Cuz I want them dead. I don't want runners. Once I shoot the first one I want to be able to concentrate on the next one, whatever that is."

As for accuracy, the top shooters in PRS are split between Berger 156s and 153 A-Tips in the 6.5 cartridges.

If they work for one caliber we'll, I would suspect they'd work just as well in another. I cant speak for the .257 but I can on 6.5 and .338...let me say... they're awesome. I love the fact that there are those folks saying....NOT FOR GAME.... please....keep saying this...during the year of the greatest shortages of loading components, I could always get these!

I have heard good things about them as a hunting bullet also. But, I have not shot them, I have 500 pcs of the 6.5 135gr A-Tips that I could not get a nibble on when I tried to sell them.............

Last edited:

Recent Posts