Hind Quarter Funk

Last light elk down and midnight packouts make for some "Type II" "fun"....
Kinda miserable while its happening but love the packout stories to be told after its over. Day or night regardless, I think the amount of work we do to put wild game on the table is what makes hunters more appreciative of their food than others, hunting really puts life in perspective.

And zero judgement on the OP there's never a need to lambast someone for a mistake or asking questions, in fact brave to share here to ask and learn as others will learn too.

Trim out the off parts and now you know for next time. A lot of the time I solo hunt, when I down a bull far from the truck, I skin and quarter. Like others I carry 550 which I hang the rest to cool. Still looking for a good bone saw that's pack able. Congratulations on your elk! Enjoy the meat you have. Very few hunters get to harvest an elk. Most of the time, the successful hunter fills their tag most years. Don't worry about the negative comments and just learn from your mistake. Happy hunting

WOW....Officer Muddyboots...be gentle...you got a sore tooth...or just a sore back brother? But... you're right!
It's hunting season, my back is always sore! 😜

I'll kill a bull at last light over any other time. It's cool, there's no bugs, the stars are beautiful, and the cool mountain breeze cools quarters very well! God made headlamps to butcher elk in the dark.

I can't fathom standing over a dead elk and saying, let's come back tomorrow when it's warm and the flies are out.

Hell, if nothing else, that's an extra trip. I don't mind leaving quarters hanging over night, but I'll be damned if I don't take the first load out at midnight.

I'm just glad that in the state of Arizona there is several hunting units that elk can be recovered off road. A quad works good ! Throw the elk on the back and put the legs forward and tie to the front rack and you step over and your good to go. I sure do love my sxs for hunting and elk recovering. A snatch block and a winch do wonders. My buddies elk from a few weeks ago was winched up a tree then into the sxs to camp . We put up a hanging pole and use a simple chain hoist . Skin as you have someone work the hoist and it's short work.

Attachments

• Resized_20240916_101415.jpeg
    Resized_20240916_101415.jpeg
    325.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Resized_20240918_181905.jpeg
    Resized_20240918_181905.jpeg
    389 KB · Views: 6
  • 20241002_152518.jpg
    20241002_152518.jpg
    581.8 KB · Views: 4