Hind Quarter Funk

I'm guessing that at this point the O.P. may be regretting even posting this, which would be unfortunate. As someone else said, there is actually a lot of good advice above, but I agree some of it is pretty harsh. I'm sure the lessons were learned and the OP will not.only do better next time, but will be in a position to help another hunter not have to learn the lesson the way he did.

By the way.....congrats of harvesting an Eelk. Some people go a lifetime without that experience.

Had a successful hunt this week in Colorado, shot the elk at 10,200 ft before dark, went in the next morning and started packing him out. Two hind quarters came down first to ice, then the two front quarters with the back straps and tenderloins, got home late last night and started processing this morning. The two front quarters had no odor, one of the hind quarters had an odor, the last hind quarter had no odor. I can't imagine it being bad but is there something that could cause this?
Did you cut the bladder and spill urine on the meat?

Yep sounds like bone sour. Any bone soured meat I've been around has also started taking on a green tint to it in the spoiled area.

Carry a kill kit with 5 quarter bags and everything g else to get the job done. Extra weight in the pack but for me it's a must. Get the elk quartered that night no matter what. I hunt with a kuiu pack that allows you to come out with a quarter. I'm there so I'm coming out heavy.

Lost some meat to a grizzly. Son shot a bull that we planned on having completely packed out that day. Left two quarters laying on a log. My son took a tumble and banged his knee up. Came back the next morning to a well fed grizzly. Now I'll hang the quarters left at the site.

I wouldn't feel bad about it, it happed to me the first time I went also, I'm my case I was in an unknown place one the first couple days of the hunt in a new area , and a crap guide, another long story, and advised that where the elk was to leave it till the next morning. I second the other guys and just chalk it up to a lesson learned. Grats on the meat you got.

Appreciate all the input and will know next time. Made several calls to others and they advised against going back up and gutting and quartering and just leave it as it was.
I'd start on the "inside" of the quarter that was up against the bone and trim away anything that's gray-ish. If there's not color difference, start taking thin cuts off around where the ball/socket joint was until the meat doesn't smell, then you'll know how "deep" to trim the rest. You'll figure out what the deal is w/the meat you've got.

I hope this next part doesn't sound harsh or sarcastic, it's not meant to.

Once you've got your meat managed, the next step is how not to let this happen again. Watch a few YouTube's or get a mentor that can show you how to quarter an animal "gutless", then, if you're able, get some OTC tags, offer to help friends who have tags left, or even shoot a few coyotes and practice.

Pretty much every critter on 4 legs give or take comes apart the same. Run a knife down the back from between the ears down to the tail and peel down towards the belly. Take the meat off side you've exposed, lay it on the hide, or put it in game bags, flip, repeat. Find where the short ribs are that contain the tenderloin, make a small slit and go in after them.

You don't need a hatchet or saw. You DO need a SHARP knife. If you don't have a knife that'll stay sharp through the process and you aren't confident you can touch it up in the field, get a replaceable blade knife and carry a few spares.

Unless you're in some super steep country or some kind of thick timber that doesn't allow for you to easily roll the carcass back and forth, with a little practice, a single person should be able to skin/quarter a deer/elk in 60-90min and 2 working on an animal it's 45min or less. Then you just need to decide if you're going to haul it, hide it (hide it from predators), or hang it until you can come back for the haul.