2 Wolves in 2 Days - Ontario

I'm way down here in TX, about 90 miles inland from the coast. About 20 years ago (seems odd that it was that long ago) my ex wife's horse was killed. She sent photos of the horse asking people what they thought killed it. It had clear, parallel claw marks from its front shoulders, down the back, and down the rear haunches. TPWD came out and said a pack of dogs ran it into a fence :/ The town she lives in has less than 200 people in it. It's barely a town. There's no pack of dogs. The marks looked like a big cat had jumped on it's back and tried to drag it down. They asked the game warden about it being a mountain lion. Nah... they aren't in Texas. Big Bend NP has them. I've seen the tracks down in the desert and up in the high Chisos when I visit there. There's a video of a Mountain Lion taking a deer down up in the Chisos. Big cats (Cougar, Mountain Lion, whatever your want to call it) show up on game cameras from time to time. So do big black cats. The final proof for me came last year. I was driving the backroads around some rice fields, maybe 5-10 miles from where the horse was killed, coming home from the range I shoot at. I turned west on about 3 miles of straight dirt road and saw something running away from me 1/8 mile or so ahead of me. It was yellowish tan and both rear feet moved forward together, like a cat. I sped up to get a better look but it cut into the high Johnson grass next to a big irrigation canal and disappeared. It was big. I stopped where it disappeared into the grass. My dumb-etc didn't (A) get out and look for tracks (I liked it inside my metal and glass box) and (B) pick up the DSLR with a 200mm lens on it to try to get a photo of it or tracks. I've talked to people that farm down there and work in the rice fields. They've seen them.
So when a wildlife department professional says, nope, that's impossible... I check the yep, that's what they saw box. Animals go where they can and want to go.
The description you used about the injuries seen on the horse is identical to the ones I saw on a whitetail doe that I shot many years ago.
I made a poor shot and she ran about 300+ yards when she was attacked by something.
After tracking her down I came across her still steaming, I know that cougar was sitting in the bushes watching me dang near crap my pants when I realized the situation I was in.
I was told the same thing by the game wardens, but even later after several times actually seeing the cats close up in person they still denied it

There is no doubt that there are mountain lions in central and east Texas, even taking pets in Austin suburbs. F&W will acknowledge this. There are also jaguars that venture north and east as far as Llano. A mountain lion has a 75 mile range. At least. If it doesn't get wanderlust.
I used to live outside of Georgetown, TX. (just north of Austin) in an area of elm/post oak/cedar forest, 5 to 15 acre ranchettes with few fences and a Corps of Engineers lake to the north. Turkeys, tons of deer, etc. About 2012, Neighbors saw a small mtn lion in their yards one year, several times. Here are some pictures of deer that some critter was after that year.

Attachments

• DSCN4202.JPG
    DSCN4202.JPG
    257.4 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCN3703.JPG
    DSCN3703.JPG
    288.9 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCN3708.JPG
    DSCN3708.JPG
    233.1 KB · Views: 38
Interesting story and observations, but I have to say that game wardens are not always (usually not) wildlife authoritarians. Wildlife scientists are the experts to generally rely on for species identification and information, not wildlife enforces, in most cases. I am not sure where you are located, but from your description, it sounds like maybe Calhoun county or further east. The most interesting part of your story to me is not "that mountain lions show up on game cameras from time to time", but that "so do big black cats". I (and many others) would sure like to see those photos or videos if they exists.
rm76, the problem with publishing game camera photos of big black kitties is that under the Endangered Species Act, if a species is found to be rare at the edges of its range, even if it is common elsewhere (see: Bull trout), it can be declared "endangered" in that area. Which means all sorts of problems for farmers, ranchers, hunters, and landowners in general. I recall when some "endangered" cave bugs were found (actually, species that evolved in just one cave) near us in central Texas. It is a karst limestone terrain, full of small to large caves, many interconnected for miles with multiple entrances. There is actually a cave complex that runs from Lake Austin to underneath the State capitol in Austin, several miles.
The endangered cave bug caused all new construction to halt until surveys had been done to determine if there were any caves on the property. And interestingly, used bug bombs were found in many of the caves that were researched. Then when the Golden Cheeked Warbler and Black Capped Vireo were found to be endangered in central Texas, F&W called meetings in several counties to discuss how they were going to deal with the issue. F&W were going to make it illegal to cut down cedar trees, among other things. In Williamson County, the F&W guys stood to make their presentation to the angry crowd of ranchers and farmers; a voice from the back shouted, "I got some tar and feathers in the truck!", and the government guys hastily left. The next day the Austin paper reported that Williamson County "was not going to be invited to participate" in the F&W plan.

In Williamson County, the F&W guys stood to make their presentation to the angry crowd of ranchers and farmers; a voice from the back shouted, "I got some tar and feathers in the truck!", and the government guys hastily left. The next day the Austin paper reported that Williamson County "was not going to be invited to participate" in the F&W plan.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

rm76, the problem with publishing game camera photos of big black kitties is that under the Endangered Species Act, if a species is found to be rare at the edges of its range, even if it is common elsewhere (see: Bull trout), it can be declared "endangered" in that area. Which means all sorts of problems for farmers, ranchers, hunters, and landowners in general. I recall when some "endangered" cave bugs were found (actually, species that evolved in just one cave) near us in central Texas. It is a karst limestone terrain, full of small to large caves, many interconnected for miles with multiple entrances. There is actually a cave complex that runs from Lake Austin to underneath the State capitol in Austin, several miles.
The endangered cave bug caused all new construction to halt until surveys had been done to determine if there were any caves on the property. And interestingly, used bug bombs were found in many of the caves that were researched. Then when the Golden Cheeked Warbler and Black Capped Vireo were found to be endangered in central Texas, F&W called meetings in several counties to discuss how they were going to deal with the issue. F&W were going to make it illegal to cut down cedar trees, among other things. In Williamson County, the F&W guys stood to make their presentation to the angry crowd of ranchers and farmers; a voice from the back shouted, "I got some tar and feathers in the truck!", and the government guys hastily left. The next day the Austin paper reported that Williamson County "was not going to be invited to participate" in the F&W plan.
Well, you are right about one thing, since there has never been a confirmed existence of a black (melanistic) mountain lion to science, a confirmed photo or video would make the headlines -- and would make the national news and probably make that person famous. There would be no keeping this under wraps. Likewise a jaguar in east Tx would elicit a similar response.

Well, you are right about one thing, since there has never been a confirmed existence of a black (melanistic) mountain lion to science, a confirmed photo or video would make the headlines -- and would make the national news and probably make that person famous. There would be no keeping this under wraps. Likewise a jaguar in east Tx would elicit a similar response.
About 10 years after the Ivory Billed Woodpecker was declared extinct, the fresh corpse of an Ivory Billed Woodpecker was sent to the Houston Chronicle in a box.... with no return address....
And I didn't say the black kitty was a mountain lion; there have been many examples of melanistic jaguars, though.... https://bigcatswildcats.com/panther/
Jaguars have been seen as far north as Llano County, just not photographed.

Last edited:
About 10 years after the Ivory Billed Woodpecker was declared extinct, the fresh corpse of an Ivory Billed Woodpecker was sent to the Houston Chronicle in a box.... with no return address....
And I didn't say the black kitty was a mountain lion; there have been many examples of melanistic jaguars, though.... https://bigcatswildcats.com/panther/
Sorry to highjack the OP's thread (last time I will do this), but can you post the reference for that Ivory billed event? I have a scientist friend who is an ornithologist and I'm not sure he is aware of that.

Well... if we can have mountain lions in Saskatchewan... as there have been reports/sightings of occasional ones for years in the bigger "valleys" I honestly don't know how you COULD NOT have any... ANYWHERE down there.

I mean we are not supposed to be in a climate that they like at all. Hel.l..
I don't like the climate... I don't know why they would want to be here... but they are.

The 3 S's Shoot, Shovel, Shut up!!!
It would be easier when theres no snow on the ground but we have snow from November until May.....also the Feds and DNR do low and slow airplane flights looking and tracking wolves at least once a week depending on the weather....wish I had the money wasted on tracking and studying wolves in Michigan could be put to better use that would bring income not waste it....

It would be easier when theres no snow on the ground but we have snow from November until May.....also the Feds and DNR do low and slow airplane flights looking and tracking wolves at least once a week depending on the weather....wish I had the money wasted on tracking and studying wolves in Michigan could be put to better use that would bring income not waste it....
I think if any agency is keeping tabs on wolves in Michigan today, it's only the feds. Michigan(DNR) wants a hunting season. At least the biologists do, but again, the governor is controlling all of it and thru DC mostly. Once she's out and we ever get a governor that wants real wolf management, the DNRs hands won't be tied up and we'll see one.