18 Moose Points - decisions

I live in Kemmerer (26) and have seen some nice bulls around, and haven't been trying to find them. If you look at B&C for moose, this is one of the best areas you can get. I drew a tag 6 years ago with 10 points in area 27, though I'm a resident. My father will be drawing his second tag this year or next. We have always hunted area 27, I have seen 50"+ moose there, however it is dependent upon weather pushing them down out of the higher Utah mountains, which it USUALLY does. The year I drew, we had no snow stick on the ground until about January. I saw over 100 moose that season, hunted almost every day (including archery season) and all but 2 were cows. One was itty bitty, the other was the one I shot, a spindly 40" bull. I had one more day of rifle season, and had only seen one other bull.....so he got the pill. I didn't want to eat 10 year tag soup. A landowner that was keeping his eye's open for me had seen a "massive" bull as he described periodically throughout season that was hanging out on his property along the Blacks Fork River, and every time he saw him and called me I was hours away. Pretty frustrating, because I ALWAYS see better bulls than the one I shot, every year. I just drew in the worst possible year for weather.

My personal experience from living here for nearly 30 years, I would apply for 26 or 27. And whatever you do, please don't hire Grizzly Peak outfitters, if they are even still in business. That guy is a flat out crook.

Here was my little moose while I was doing the euro mount.
moose.jpg

As you can see, for being towards the end of November, there was almost no snow on the ground.

1393711_10201736934218843_1842460932_n.jpg

Thanks for your comments Cody. Any recommendations for an outfitter? Obviously I know who you do not like. I am not familiar with that part of the State at all. I have always hunted up the Gros Ventre or east of Bondurant.

Thanks for your comments Cody. Any recommendations for an outfitter? Obviously I know who you do not like. I am not familiar with that part of the State at all. I have always hunted up the Gros Ventre or east of Bondurant.
I don't know any of the other outfitters around, which to me is a good sign, they haven't made a big ol stink like grizzly peak.

If you were sitting on 18 Wyoming moose points and finally felt like you had an opportunity to be able to afford to draw (or at least try) next year, what would be your top unit choices. This will be a guided hunt. I'm not doing a DIY given that I'm 52 now and will never draw this tag again in my lifetime, if I can even draw it now.

Dirty Steve
Just thought I'd show my Shiras taken many years ago('89), on the Star Valley side of the Greys. I wouldn't want to kill another in that location. If you look closely, you can see the ropes, securing him. Without the ropes, he would have been down to the bottom, while we were trying to bone him out. It was so steep, and took us so long to bone-out, we dug out foot placements (kinda like a step), to give us a flatter footing. The angle was tough on ankles! memtb

7f2mlHwl.jpg

While I'm showing pictures, this is my wife with her two moose. The old grainy picture is from'74, her very first game kill! They (she and ex husband) were "meat hunters", and weren't look'n for the big one. She was just 23, just a kid, and hadn't done any hunting. With the moose kill, she was "hooked on hunting"! That year she also got her first deer and a cow elk! The other picture is from the Greys River drainage. We had trouble finding bulls, and then found three traveling together. They were continually changing positions as they walked through the mixed timber. I was glassing, and trying to give her the position of the bull we wanted. They stepped into an opening, and before I could tell her they had "swapped" positions again....she touched the trigger. He went down immediately, as the 225 grain TSX did it's job! Though, she shot the smaller of the bulls! memtb

jzL0aRKl.jpg

U0IK9pPl.jpg

Bulls I seen last year in North Bighorns

Attachments

• IMG_0412.JPG
    IMG_0412.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 286
  • IMG_0616.JPG
    IMG_0616.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 214
I have 15 pts and am trying for 26 each year.
Self guided moose hunting in the lower 48 is great fun, I shot a nice bull in northern Idaho 8 years ago.
Steve Bair

Just thought I'd show my Shiras taken many years ago('89), on the Star Valley side of the Greys. I wouldn't want to kill another in that location. If you look closely, you can see the ropes, securing him. Without the ropes, he would have been down to the bottom, while we were trying to bone him out. It was so steep, and took us so long to bone-out, we dug out foot placements (kinda like a step), to give us a flatter footing. The angle was tough on ankles! memtb

7f2mlHwl.jpg
Dang. You certainly earned that one!!! I have hunted there for deer and elk. Those are some serious mountains.

Appreciate all of your input guys.

One of my hunting partners has killed 3 Shiras in Wyoming and is 2 points behind me now. He drew his 3 previous Wyoming tags prior to 2000. Some guys are just lucky. I'm relatively late to the PP game. He convinced me to get in after I was with him for the 3rd kill. Wish I had started earlier.

Dirty Steve

Appreciate all of your input guys.

One of my hunting partners has killed 3 Shiras in Wyoming and is 2 points behind me now. He drew his 3 previous Wyoming tags prior to 2000. Some guys are just lucky. I'm relatively late to the PP game. He convinced me to get in after I was with him for the 3rd kill. Wish I had started earlier.

Dirty Steve
It's the luck of the draw Steve. I have 90 points for moose in Maine, likewise my 2 kids. We have been putting in since day one. My chunky real estate agent friend Dominick puts in one time and gets drawn, goes to Maine and shoots a 50" moose. He thinks it's easy!

I would contact bob Barlow. He is a really good outfitter. He is honest and has fair prices. I didn't moose hunt with him but I've used him for other game. He is a good guy and moose are his specialty. He can tell you where to try to draw.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts