1480 yd bull throgh the spotters eyes

Thanks for the great write up and pics and congratulations! Very nice to see a well written article with good pics of a great long range shot/hunt. Nice job.

Good shooting but what if the other guys hunting the Elk had said No! It was their Elk. Glad they were agreeable. I can see where shooing long range like that, things could get touchie.

Thank you for all the great replies. It was kind of funny with the other two hunters. They didn't even know where the shot had came from, all they saw was the after math of the bull rolling down the hill. They told us they had cut his tracks and started following them cause it was the freshest thing they had seen all day. They didn't even know forsure that it was a bull, let alone a six point. They were worried that the meat was going to spoil so they started to process the bull and pack it up to the ridge line. They even donated their rope to us to tie off the meat to keep it from sliding down the mountain. They even offered to help us pack meat. If that doesn't say something about a person's character I don't know what does.

We all use Eblerstock packs. That particular pack is one from their tactical line I believe. Eblerstock is the only way to go IMO. Plus they are made in Boise, Idaho(which is where I'm from) so I have to support local. I use the Just-One pack and Josh uses the Dragonfly.

Good shooting but what if the other guys hunting the Elk had said No! It was their Elk. Glad they were agreeable. I can see where shooing long range like that, things could get touchie.

SOOOOOOOOOO um were the other guys planning on putting THEIR tag on the elk??? around here if you have elk meat you better have a tag punched with it. I guess knowing those guys pushed the elk down made the sting of them messing up the case less.

Congrats! Great story and pictures, thanks. What did the guys say when you told them where you shot it from? I'd like to see the expression on their faces. :D

The father and son had no intentions of putting a tag on the bull. They were just going to cut and hang the meat on the ridge. They did not push the bull down to us. They were following the tracks from the bottom. They in no way thought we had stolen their elk, they thought somebody on top of the ridge had killed the bull and were still looking for it. When we told them where we had shot it from their jaws just about drop. They were impressed that a shot like that on an elk could be made.

His pack looks like mine. I have the Terminator. Like the G4 Operator w/o the weapon bay. Just bought this year, but did not get it bloody.
Well built pack.

Heck of a poke. Great story too. Well written. I could read that kind of stuff all day.

I had never considered the possibility of someone else finding your critter in such a situation. Certainly another thing to bear in mind.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.