10mm

WV Sendero

I know it isn't specialty but I have been considering the Glock 20 10mm for whitetails and possibly black bear this year and wanted some input from those who have used this caliber. I would probably install a 6in barrel to get a little more velocity, and do a little work on the trigger. Shots would be limited to around 30 yards. I have a 500 S&W (8 3/8in) and 44mag (7 1/2in) and I like them but I would also like to have the option of a lighter and smaller handgun to hunt with. Would the G20 fit the bill? What kind of ballistics would the 10mm capable of?

I have not used the 10MM but I used to kill a bunch of WT deer with a 1911A1 Colt 45 ACP with a cast 200 gr SWC with 7 grs Unique which the book says was right at 1000 fps with a limitation of 50 yards or less. Would cut a caliber size hole broadside and let the air out of them quickly. This was the cheapest way to feed my family back in the early 80's when we were really pooooooooooor. If I did not shoot, catch or raise it we did not eat it.
With the new Hornady XTP or Speer Gold Dot type bullets 180 to 200 grs going 1100 to 1200 fps put into the vitals of a deer ought to do just fine. A fellow in my hunting and fishing club has killed deer with his Glock in 40 S&W and did kill a black bear with it in self defense when a fellow put a bad shot on one and it went into a rock cliff cave. He went to pull his dogs back from the cave thinking that the bear was dead and it charged right at him and he drew and fired putting the bullet through one eye and blew out the back of it's head. I think he was using 180 gr Hornady XTP ammo. I myself would want a little more gun with a heavy, around 300 grs, hard SWC or FP bullet for bear. I would want to break their front shoulders while taking out the lungs at the same time. They tend to bite and scratch a might when wounded. :D

I know it isn't specialty but I have been considering the Glock 20 10mm for whitetails and possibly black bear this year and wanted some input from those who have used this caliber. I would probably install a 6in barrel to get a little more velocity, and do a little work on the trigger. Shots would be limited to around 30 yards. I have a 500 S&W (8 3/8in) and 44mag (7 1/2in) and I like them but I would also like to have the option of a lighter and smaller handgun to hunt with. Would the G20 fit the bill? What kind of ballistics would the 10mm capable of?

I am a big fan of the 10mm and have several, But for hunting it is my opinion that it is a little
on the light side. I have tried hunting with a lot of different pistols and found that the 44 special
or 44 mag is about the minimum for good clean kills on deer or bear.

For all round hunting I rely on a 454 casull. But for longer shots I really prefer to hunt with a bolt
action pistol with a minimum caliber of 7/08 or larger.

For safety in bear country I Carry a titanium revolver in 44 special loaded hard. it is very light and
can be loaded almost as powerful as a 44 mag.

My 44 special has a short barrel (2 to 3'') but if you could find one longer it would be good for
carry and hunting.

My CHL pistol is a 10mm smith and I trust and depend on it to do the job (Drop the bad guys).

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

I'm also a major fan of the 10mm cartridge.. I've shot the cartridge in many different types of firearms; from a H&K MP5/10 to the 1911.
I bought a G20SF 15+1 in 10mm, {the only Glock I own} I'm not a real big fan of Glock at all, but when you can get 16 rounds of heavy hitting 10mm in "one gun" at the size of a G20SF... it's not bad. It's a great trail gun as well as light white tail popper, bear? well I'll leave that up to you. The trick her is to trick it out for more velocity.

When I bought mine I never fired one round through the factory barrel.. I pulled it and replaced it with a "fully supported" KKM drop in, added Wolf 24 lb. spring kit, along with replacing the atrocious Glock sights with fiber/tritium front and back.
I"m using and like the 180gr hand loads..., SP, FMJ, HP and Glaser for around the house... with the increased range and energy, it a fine weapon, that is if you stay inside it's envelop for the animal your hunting.

Once you start shooting at the upper end of the 10mm cartridge in a hand gun like a Glock that extra 1 inch of barrel not going to help you that much, I know they call the 6 inch a hunting barrel, what ever.

What I did find and what was very surprising to me, was the accuracy and the dampened recoil with the new spring kit.... man does this thing shoot!
It's turned into one of my go to hand guns for about anything.
One word of caution, that spring kit is not for the person that has trouble working a normal slide, you've got to get into that bad boy to get it running.

Good luck.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I may still try to get the 10mm and make the decision on the whitetails later after I do some shooting and testing for myself. For the bears I guess I'll work up a good load for the 500 S&W.

Get the Glock 45 ACP and get a 40 Super with a simple barrel change it will stomp the 10mm. My brother is working with one now and its quite impressive. I would recommend using 180 gr bullets and heavier, especially for bear, 155 and up are fine for deer.

Do not be amazed if you do not take these critters off their feet when you hit them. AS potent as the 10mm and 40 Super are for pistol chamberings, they are rather anemic in terminal power for big game.

Shot placement and penetration are all important so keep that in mind.

Thought I would post an update. I recently traded my Glock 30 that I use for CC for a S&W Model 19 .357. This left me in need of a new carry gun (I have a Sig 238 but I'm not a huge fan of the .380) so I decided to buy the Glock 29 10mm. It is pretty much the same as the G30 but in a 10mm. I figure this way I get a powerful CC gun and I get to play with the 10mm to see if I like it and if I do I can get the Glock 20 and set it up for whitetails. If I later get the G20 I may also get a 9x25 barrel for the G29 just to have a unique caliber. This is one of the main reasons I like Glocks, you can pretty much make them whatever you want.

Re: 10mm "Would the G20 fit the bill?"

Question: Would the G20 fit the bill?
Answer: YES

I have taken whitetail and mule deer with 45ACP, 40 S&W, 357 MAG, 10mm, 44 mag & 454 Casull; Just to name a few.

I have used 40 S&W out to 100 yards with good success. 40 S&W is like a "10mm Short". 10mm is the same bullet with a lot more velocity and more ft lbs. I love the 10mm for a "go to cartridge". I believe even the extra 1" of barrel is better and not worse. My suggestion would be that the 10mm is more then enough cartridge for deer within 100 yards and black bear within 30 yards.

BIG QUESTION: Correct bullet placement?
I have seen deer shot with a 300 Win MAG where the 300 was not a big enough caliber to take game where the shooter placed the shot. It is not always what caliber used, but location of the bullet impact. Know your cartridge, know ballistics and bullet drop with your barrel. You will be the judge of how far your capable of cleanly taking the game sucessfully. The cartridge is capable as long as we do our part.

Next decision is the proper bullet for the game you are taking. For bear I would suggest a solid point to get deepest penetration. Even on deer it is a good bullet. It is alway better to have an entry hole and an exit hole. Hollow points do not always give you an exit hole.

Just my 2 cents.

Good Luck!
Anxious to hear about your hunt.
Kirk

I have killed several deer at 40 to 50 yds with a Glock M20 with the 6.6 in Lonewolf barrel. This pistol has worked great on deer and hogs. JMHO

Rafe

I will tell my experience on the 10mm subject, I had a glock 10mm, shooting store bought remingtons, less than 200 rounds had the frame crack from the front to the trigger guard under the SN. I will say glock had me a new one on the way, which I never transferred in my name, I got a 1911 instead and have never been happier. The 10mm is an awesome round, just a little hot for a polymer gun in my opinion and experience.

I can only go by my personal experience, have over 1500 rds [handloads] thru my Model 20 and haven't had any problems. Sorry to hear your 10 MM malfunctioned. Take Care

Rafe

I have a Glock 20SF that I carried this year during deer season, but didn't get an opportunity to use it.

I installed a 6" KKM barrel, JPoint sight, and a Ghost disconnector. I love the way it shoots. I am using two loads at the moment, a 150 grain Nosler JHP at 1520 fps. and a 190 grain WFNGC at 1335 fps. I feel like either would be perfect for deer, but I am planning to go to a 180 grain JHP in the future. I recently acquired a 230 grain WFNGC custom mold and I will be casting soem this winter to try. A friend recently harvested a 250 lb. wild boar in TN with his 10mm using a 210 grain WFNGC bullet. One shot, one kill.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.