“best” long action option

Akhunting

I have been looking at building a new (semi-heavy) long range rifle, and there are just too many options anymore! I am looking at a long (magnum) action appropriate for the RUMs. I have plenty of hunting rifles and don't compete, this would be a just-for-the-fun-of-it rifle that I may hunt with. I have went through most of the ballistics of most of the calibers available and decided that the .338 (RUM, Edge...)is probably where I want to be to maximize the range potential of the maximum cartridge size available in this action length. Currently I am leaning toward the 338 Edge using an APR action, ADG brass, probably a Proof barrel (maybe PacNor instead), a manners stock, and Wyatt magazine box.

Basically I am trying to maximize the ballistic performance of a standard magnum action without anything too crazy. I have considered 338 RUM, 338 Edge, 338 Norma, 375 RUM, 375 H&H Imp, etc. Any other ideas?

Any of the 3-338 you mentioned will work for what you want, they have better B.C bullets than the 375. The Rum will need a 4.0" wyatts box to get the heavies seated out at the neck shoulder junction.

What makes one the best? Two lug, three lug? Fast lock time? Adjustable trigger? No safety or three position? Built-in recoil lug? What extraction system, push feed or? What material?

take a look at the ruger american. For the price you get a really nice rifle. Everyone I know who has one loves them. You can get them in all weather model,predator with a tapered barrel. My next rifle is going to be a American predator in 6.5 creedmoor. I have the American in 308 just haven't had a chance to shot it yet. The remington 700 and weatherby vanguard are also good rifles own multiplies of each.

I'd suggest a 338 norma improved on a kelbly atlas action. No mag length issues, same horsepower as 338 rum, and improved runs with the edge. The actions are accurate, well toleranced, robust and cheap.

I have been looking at building a new (semi-heavy) long range rifle, and there are just too many options anymore! I am looking at a long (magnum) action appropriate for the RUMs. I have plenty of hunting rifles and don't compete, this would be a just-for-the-fun-of-it rifle that I may hunt with. I have went through most of the ballistics of most of the calibers available and decided that the .338 (RUM, Edge...)is probably where I want to be to maximize the range potential of the maximum cartridge size available in this action length. Currently I am leaning toward the 338 Edge using an APR action, ADG brass, probably a Proof barrel (maybe PacNor instead), a manners stock, and Wyatt magazine box.

Basically I am trying to maximize the ballistic performance of a standard magnum action without anything too crazy. I have considered 338 RUM, 338 Edge, 338 Norma, 375 RUM, 375 H&H Imp, etc. Any other ideas?
I have a 300 RUM, 7 RUM, 338 LP out of all my long range the most accurate and consistent is my 7mm STW

Perfect example of a top shelf 338 Edge long range hunting rifle and how it should be built!!!
https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/338-edge.213913/#post-1568970
Yes, I agree. I favor the single shot action for long range. I use them on all my LR rifles for hunting or target shooting. Boxes are a pain for feeding and having to seat bullets to fit your magazine. Use that money for optics, stock or barrels. It don't take 2 seconds to throw in another round when set up on a bipod on the ground if you need it. I use the single shot predators on my 7 Saum's, 6 BR 's ,338 edge and a Single shot Curtiss on a 6 creed for deer, elk, antelope, steel and gopher shooting. 338 edge is the easiest for the big calibers. Lots of options for mag bolt face actions.