Whole herd of wild hogs charge two hunters!

I don't think any of us has an issue with the pests. All swine must die. It's the idiots posting the video's making hunters look like clowns that we have an issue with.
I understand your sentiment. Unfortunately idiots are everywhere, you can't fix stupid, and one man's clown is another man's carnival to share with the like-minded.

I posted the video to show a couple of things:

a. the number of hogs, look at the numbers of piglets, incredible. Each sow can have 12+ piglets twice a year.

b. how difficult it is to hit a running target that is bouncing and changing directions, amount of leade is needed?

c. I don't think that the hunters looked like clowns, and I don't know if there is a way to prepare for the number of hogs that these guys had to shoot at.
This was one sounder, only time I've ever had to do a reload while hunting. If it's too difficult to hit, why are they pulling the trigger? Can be range, target speed or conditions but randomly launching rounds, especially in directions you didn't intend too, is just straight clown shoes.
IMG_2566.jpeg

If you want to show numbers of hogs or how they damage crops and infrastructure there are many better videos.

Last edited:
victor3ranger understands the true nature of the menacing plague of feral hogs. If they can, hogs will kill you and eat on the spot. They eat countless new born fawns every year. May be worse than griz cuz there are so many and they travel in herds. When I do a stalk hunt in S TX, I wear a 44 loaded with 280 gr LSWC and I listen and look / glass very carefully into all cover.
They also destroy Turkey and Quail nests, newborn calves.
The other night I caught some on camera so I loaded up for the kill, the wind was wrong for me to move into where they were but I did anyway.
When I got to where I could see the camera location they weren't there, but when I was scanning with my NV gear I started hearing something to my left, like a weird funky growl, then I heard what I recognized, teeth popping, I started scanning to the left and I could see him sneaking his way towards me, it was a big boar and he got a 5.56 to the brain.
After that I got back to the vehicle so I didn't get eaten

They also destroy Turkey and Quail nests, newborn calves.
The other night I caught some on camera so I loaded up for the kill, the wind was wrong for me to move into where they were but I did anyway.
When I got to where I could see the camera location they weren't there, but when I was scanning with my NV gear I started hearing something to my left, like a weird funky growl, then I heard what I recognized, teeth popping, I started scanning to the left and I could see him sneaking his way towards me, it was a big boar and he got a 5.56 to the brain.
After that I got back to the vehicle so I didn't get eaten
That chomping tusk pop is a little nerve-rackin' ain't it?

I've never hunted boar, but it would seem to me that a rifle with a lot more stopping power, and being a calm personality type, would be much better.
Not panicking, or shooting wildly, and using something that hits really hard sure would have made a better video.
Even better though, video boy should have been packing a rifle, not a video camera.

Last edited:
I posted the video to show a couple of things:

a. the number of hogs, look at the numbers of piglets, incredible. Each sow can have 12+ piglets twice a year.

b. how difficult it is to hit a running target that is bouncing and changing directions, amount of leade is needed?

c. I don't think that the hunters looked like clowns, and I don't know if there is a way to prepare for the number of hogs that these guys had to shoot at.

You are right. A sow may have two litters a year. In fact, it is possible for them to have THREE litters per year. According to the good folks at Texas A&M, it is more like 3 litters every two years most of the time.

Can they have 12 in a litter? Sure, but the norm is 6-8. The most I have seen from the birth canal of a sow is 14.

Hitting runners is tough. A lot of hog hunters don't understand leading target and really have no clue how far the hog might traverse in the time it takes for the bullet to leave the chamber to the then reach the hog. And to be fair, it is hard to judge hog speed and if you don't have a rangefinder or know the distance, it is hard to know how long it will take your bullet to arrive. It can be difficult to learn. I made a lot of great shots on hogs over the years where the hog literally ran out from in front of the bullet.

I don't know that they looked like clowns either, except for the video title, but I do believe it is a mistake to be sitting on your butt and shooting at a sounder of hogs. You can see the difficulty the hunters have in tracking the running hogs because in their seated positions, they have little freedom of movement and those hogs were able to fairly quickly run beyond the point at which the hunters could traverse their rifles and because their fat butts were in the chairs, nobody could physically move position to continue firing on the hogs. One finally does, but then he is carrying his shooting sticks on his rifle, no longer benefiting from the stability the sticks off and in now wrestling with the torque of the rifle caused by the swinging of the sticks and he moves around trying to shoot hogs.

Had the hogs been charging these guys, they would have been on the losing end of the deal, literal sitting targets. Not clowns, but not well played at all. I say this based on my own experience as well. I have made this very mistake and had hogs run toward us.