Where in WA?

well lets see, what are ya hunting and how are ya hunting it? if your rifle hunting elk lewis county is a good bet. winston creek will give you a chance to see a lot of elk but its to busy for me. try drawing a tag in the margaret unit, big bulls and less pressure but you,ll have to work for them. randle /packwood is an elk mecca but unless your fortunate enough to hunt private land its very crowded also. living in morton i hunt elk on private grounds. if you want a new addiction hunt the wiley blacktail. quite possibly the hardest of the deer species to harvest. hope this helped, best of luck

well lets see, what are ya hunting and how are ya hunting it? if your rifle hunting elk lewis county is a good bet. winston creek will give you a chance to see a lot of elk but its to busy for me. try drawing a tag in the margaret unit, big bulls and less pressure but you,ll have to work for them. randle /packwood is an elk mecca but unless your fortunate enough to hunt private land its very crowded also. living in morton i hunt elk on private grounds. if you want a new addiction hunt the wiley blacktail. quite possibly the hardest of the deer species to harvest. hope this helped, best of luck
You meen smallest dear in the state.

you betcha, the gray ghosts of the rain forests. ask any hunter who hunts em and they will tell ya what a challenge they can be. ive seen blacktail bucks with racks and bodies so big you wouldnt believe it. best time to see these brutes is while they are still in velvet. once they get hardhorned the big boys seemingly disapear.

you betcha, the gray ghosts of the rain forests. ask any hunter who hunts em and they will tell ya what a challenge they can be. ive seen blacktail bucks with racks and bodies so big you wouldnt believe it. best time to see these brutes is while they are still in velvet. once they get hardhorned the big boys seemingly disapear.

lightbulbI worked with the person that had taken the largest Black Tail in the state. Body wise no comparison to the mule deer. I lived and worked on the coast and trained at Jim Creek Naval station for 10 years. and never saw a deer I wanted to hunt. In the rut they are just as easy to hunt than any deer.

well 264 if you knew MR MILLER then you would know that the world record BLACKTAIL buck was shot here in lewis county wa.it was killed in the lincoln creek area and its history is well known by us locals. i live in lewis co just a rifle shot away from where that buck was taken. you sir have obviously never had the time or the wherewithal to get into the back country that holds these magnificent animals. re-read my posts and youll see that nowhere have i claimed they get as big as mature mule deer. 175-200 lb bucks are taken here every year. anybody that scoffs at blacktails knows nothing about them. good day to you sir!!!

Forks, WA here. Can't believe no one else on here is from Forks yet. Bummer.

Blacktails can get quite big. I was lucky enough to get a 160lb 3 point this year. First deer I have taken in Clallam County.

Was lucky enough to get an elk also!

Blacktails can get quite big. I was lucky enough to get a 160lb 3 point this year. First deer I have taken in Clallam County.

That's awesome I have taken a few blacktails myself the biggest was in golden Dale on a late muzzle loader hunt, but thos days are gone to many people are hunting that area anymore so I stick to archery elk and if we stick our elks in the first few days we pull out and head up for the high hunt I try to make sure I have a elk and a deer in the freezer every year. Last year we got caught in the smoke from the Forest fire 7 miles in and had to cut our season short by 4 days

Awesome. I usually Bow hunt for Elk as well, but last year I was unable to make the season as we left the state for family issues. Therefore I took part in the rifle season. I have to say, it was a really productive rifle season for me. I think this was due to all the scouting and previous years of bow hunting.

Just got all my arrows ready for this year, and am thinking about doing a high buck hunt in the Olympics for deer. Or possibly heading over to the Methow Chewuch area for Mullies.

hey clarkstar, good work. sounds like a real nice two and a half year old. thats right on the money weight wise, three years ago i shot a perfectly symmetrical 3 point that was right at 160 lbs. the fires last year made pre-season scouting tough. best of luck to you guys this year.

Good Luck to you as well. I was amazed at the perfect symmetry on the rack as well. The tips of two tines were broken off, and they seemed to be broke exactly the same. It was pretty neat.

Live weight est. field dressed, or head and hide off hanging at the butcher? Certified scale?

Live wt. estimate from butcher. Not sure about certified scales etc.. If I recall correctly it was around 100 lbs of meat. So it is assumed all bones heat and entrails were around 60 lbs.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.