Where in WA?

A little town in eastern Wa. called Twisp which is an hour and a half north of Wenatchee. Some people refer it to the Methow valley. I owned a body shop called Labco in Everet before I retired

Ted:D

When I lived in Twisp (seasonal job with WDFW) I referred to it as the Meathow valley. Is the butcher shop (chris is the owner I think) still there? I always loved that place. I would hang around and talk with chris for a few hours once a week, then buy a couple lbs. of Jerkey.

Are you a Packer over there? I have always been interested in a hunt in that area where I packing in was needed. As far away as possible from those roads. It would be a blast (no pun intended)!

There is a lot of good areas in the Methow to pack into years ago packed into the Lost river area some 17 miles to hunt Goats.

I have hiked around the Lost river for work years ago. It is surely a special place. Did you see many game animals on your pack into that wilderness?

What packer did you use?

I know Chris Thompson well. His butcher business is doing well. Yes I pack but mostly for myself. I help a local packer ( Cascade Wilderness Outfitters, Steve and Jessie Darwood ) through out the summer. Love every part of it. The last frontier so to speak. I socialize with Tom McCoy from WDFW from time to time. A really good man!

Does Chris still wear the WDFW hat I traded him for Jerkey the day I left town? If not you should mention you know the guy that traded him the hat, and he wants it back :)

I worked for Charles Frady, and Charlie Snow, out of the WDFW office which is on the main road half mile before you go over the bridge heading into Twisp from the East. Fisheries related stuff. I have only hunted in that area once. It was great. I have been trying to get some friends interested in starting a "hunting camp" over there every year. Been hard. Just really fun country to hunt in, a nice change from the Jungle of moss and ferns I have out here in Forks, WA.

We packed into the head waters of Monument Creek and only saw a few deer on the way in. The packer lived between Twisp and Winthrop. Can't remember his name it was in the 70's. The packer got a bear on the way out after he dropped us of at the camp site. My brother inlaw had the goat tag and on the first day in the AM took a billy with 10 1/2" horns and that was the only goat we spotted. We spent the rest of the week exploring the area. Best of times.

The packer was John Doran. He even today has a lot to learn about the trade and people. He's a type as some people would say. The Passayten wilderness is huge with lots of opportunity but the really big deer show up down low by the end of the season. There was some nice deer taken last year . I know of a 33" 8x9 taken by someone. It was his first deer hunt. Image that. I myself shot a 28" 4x5. The weather came in at just the right time up high. First deer for my Kimber .270 WSM. Berger VLD 140. Running shot @ 200yards at dusk. We had already had a 26" 4x4 on a pack horse and was riding out when this big fella came across the hill side. I feel fortunate to have a shot once I got off my horse and rifle out of the scabbard. He dropped pretty much in his tracks. That's super good especially at dusk. Good trip.

Ted

Sounds like a fun way to end a hunt! So the big deer starting coming in down low around Halloween - Mid November? Just making sure as I am writing that down!

Normally the larger migratory deer come in with the bad weather which is generally November. The high country starts to fill up with snow mid Oct on. Last year was an exception. The last week of the general season ( Oct. 18th ) saw some real nice deer. It also was area specific. Pearragen area and north

I can't wait for hunting season! I find out today if I am moving to MT or not. After which I can start planning my hunts. As usual, so many options and not enough time or tags!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.