When do you start practicing for the fall season?

Len

Bowhunting is like golf ,To be good you must practice all year
long.

The older you get the harder it is to get in shape if you stop.

So my recomendation is to shoot a few arrows every other day
to keep in shape.

A couple of years I tried starting a few months before the season
and brought on a good case of tennis elbo both times.

I also found that if I reduced the weight during the off season
by 10 or 15lbs it realy made a difference. so I just put together
a different set of sights for practice and change back to my hunting
sights when the weight goes back up.

If you shoot instinctively you should just keep shooting the same
gear all year long.

J E CUSTOM

I don't stop. I generally slow to once a week throughout the winter. Been shooting almost daily for a month. Great way to unwind after work!

I start about really shooting about 4 months before the season. Just start by putting arrows on a target, don't worry too much about being super accurate, that will come. Just work on perfect form and building the muscles. Then about two months before, start really working on grouping and accuracy. About one month before, I start really hitting the target with broadheads to get my final accuracy dialed in. Then during the season, when I don't get to shoot in the field, I come home a toss a few everyday just to keep the muscles in shape. Has worked so far, 17 seasons, and 13 elk!

I shoot year round. I shoot a lot of 3D shoots spring through early fall. Shooting at 3D targets is the best way to prepare yourself for the real deal.

here in MN deer season is over dec. 31st so I start on jan. 1st every day it is mutch easyer that way

ok - I'll be the one to digress from the pack....In Virginia, bow season opens in October. I'll look to pick my bow up at the end of July to start tuning. Once tuned (which generally takes a couple days because I think I tune to a finer degree than most) target practice begins. Then about a month out I strap on the broadheads and tune them up.

In terms of physical conditioning, I lift weights year round. So conditioning is never really an issue.

since we are talking about being the best we can have eny of U use muzzy MX3 heard that thay dont fly all that well out of a mathews ?

Len,

You never stop if you want to continue to improve. Once you have the long range mojo, you must keep shooting to maintain proficiency.

James

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.