What's your caliber of choice, for coyotes?

Railroader

Little boys just make it all that much more enjoyable.............I had two. One love to hunt the other loved to fish, so we were out all the time, its just that Mom wanted to do other things but her boys always talked her into either going hunting or fishing. Funny thing was my oldest loved to flyfish while the younger one does very little fishing. The younger hunts and reloads while the older even though I gave him a .222 never hunts but goes flyfishing at least one a week. That was the only problem when we went fishing the one wanted to go hunting and while hunting the other one wanted to go fishing.
They are both married now the Hunter lives back in the Mts with his wife and hunts and traps, while the older one works for Orvis as an fly fishing instructer and Guide and is on the river all the time.
They both have a love for the outdoors because when younger we spent so much time camping.

G

Man that is awesome! I hope my son really enjoys hunting and fishing too! Sounds like The Lord has blessed you with two fine sons! My Dad always had me and my brother hunting , fishing , and shooting. That's what we all did together for fun and still do. Awesome!

I was saving up for a Remington model 700 22-250 till i came across a deal i counted pass up.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

Railroader

Where are you from? Raise up you boys in the way that they should go and they will not depart from it.
Caleb my youngest, well, not to young anymore he is 27, asked me if I would start Trapping with him, Mom told me that if our son asks you to do someting with him you do it . It just means that he wants to spend time with you. That's my advise, no matter what your son wants to do spend time doing it with him, for a son that's his way of know that his Dad loves him...................I had to kind of juggle things as one wanted to Fly Fish and the other one Hunt, but the thing they both loved was camping and so we wore out a 12x12 wall tent and camped summer fall winter and spring. We had a wood stove in it and it made for a lot of memories.
When they were small I would read Pilgrams Progress to them......................

Greg

Greg I'm from Chesapeake, Ohio ( directly across the river from Huntington, W.Va.). It sounds like you and your sons have had some great times. It has reminded me of my brother and I when we were little! We believe in the Word of God too. We will teach it in our house hold. Where are you from?

We live in Sparks, Nevada right next to Reno. We have lived here forever and we love the Desert. The Desert grows on you and because its so vast and open and has so many Mt ranges we find it hard to ever think of living any other place, in fact we feel really closed in when we are someplace with lots of trees. We love driving on a dirt road for 60 miles and seeing no buildings telephone poles but just mts and open range land lots of wild horses Antelope and plenty of Coyotes and Chukar .....................My boys and I are very thankful that God has allowed us to live in a place of such vast openness and beauty, each and every time we camp out in the Nevada Outback we appreciate what we have ...................Its funny that so few people go out into the Nevada outback yet because of that there are so many times when we camp for a week and never see another person.

God is good.........

Greg

Greg, God is good! It sounds like you live in a fascinating place! I've got to get out there some day and hunt. I've done a bit of research on hunting Nevada. I was wanting to put together just a coyote hunting trip one day. It sounds like the best value. I love being from Appalachia! We have a lot of good hunting and good people. I'm fortunate to love where I can hunt Ohio, Kentucky and West Virginia. However, the west seems to have so much adventure! I really loved Wyoming last fall. Have a blessed day!

Anytime you want to come on out let me know maybe we could set up a weeks coyote hunting trip or even a Deer Hunting trip. I have a 12x16 and 10x12 wall tents with wood stoves........................bring your son. While your out here you could do a lot of Chukar Hunting. Not to many guys want to get out in the Nevada Out back............................I have a great Chukar dog named Sam.............anytime just drop me a line at

[email protected]

That sounds awesome Gregg! It has all the making of a great trip. Ill try to rally the boys together and see what they think. God Bless.

Here in MT Ive been using 220 swifts for years. Have a new one coming with a 7 twist for 90 gr pills. P dogs, and Coyotes for many years to 600 yds, now alot longer with a APS 338 Allen Mag and a few others also. Been teaching a few young ones along the way, they are mostly grown and still hunting though. Its great to pass on the tradition.

Railroader..........

Sounds great if you decide plan on a trip we can put something together for next fall. This year I have enough time for my deer trip and one week roll over for Elk the first of the year ...............

The only thing about Nevada is that for those who are use to Green, we dont have any Green. Its brown and grey. The only green you might see is some grass around a spring. Not all Nevada is that way but where I have spent most of my time hunting it is. Lots of Rimrocks and huge rock formations surrounded by sage. I hunted with a guy from back east that after three days of hunting wanted to leave as he was depressed................. I think its the vast openness that get to people and not seeing anything human for miles no houses buildings nothing. I have camped out there for a week alone and its funny that after a while you just want to hear another voice.......................its vexting. It one thing being alone where you see another truck or house but days without seeing anything human, its a strange feeling.

G

That would definitely be a different experience for me. I really enjoyed Wyoming but I was close to Casper and we stayed there at night. It would be a new thing altogether. I checked on the cost of antlered deer and it wasn't bad for a nonresident. I don't know what the chances of drawing would be. It would be a lot of fun even if we just coyote hunted. Ill keep all this in mind. Thanks. We will talk more but I'm getti g ready to leave for london, England for a week. Talk at ya later and God bless.

Railroader

Go to www.huntnevada.com and check out the draw odds for area 041,042 Not to many non-residents put in for this area because of the number of non-resident tags available, which just means that you probably have a 50/50 chance of drawing. Much better than I would as a resident. Also check out area 043,045,046 it just right next door. Most guys like the idea of hunting high country 10,000 ft, quaking aspens and thats great its just that in Nevada thats all horse contry with no vehicle access. The Area I will be hunting in is no higher than 6500' Its all about having a nice pair of binoculars and the willingness to take long shots......................

Check it out....................its a sleeper area for those who can sit and glass for hours and have the patience to wait . One thing I found out is that when you do see a deer 99% of the time glassing in those high sage bowls it will be a nice buck.

Greg

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.