What's your caliber of choice, for coyotes?

Depends on the situation / time of year. Here in California we can shoot em as close as 50 yards to out past 1000 if one needs/wants to. I use several different AR-15's in 5.56 and an old Ruger .220 Swift that'll still post 3 shot .188's with a 40gr BT in front of 40gr of Varget for about 4150fps.

If the wind kicks up I'll move up to my Weatherby Super Varmint Master in .243. If the wind is REALLY howlin I'll break out the Accumark in 30-378 shooting 130gr G&S Customs at around 3700fps, not much of a hide saver but it absolutely proves old Roy's theory of hydrostatic shock :)

Savage model 10 chambered in 250-3000 with a 75 grain vmax at 3600 fps. I don't keep the fur and I don't want them running off. So far this combo has provided excellent performance in that regard.

Me either........................243 Ackley 80gr Berger 48.5gr H4350

Now when there is the possibility of seening a cat or fox I shoot the .19 Badger 32gr @3600 I keep the pelts...............lightbulb

ITs a rimmed cartridge and I dont think anyone chambers a rifle for it or the brass might be hard to find.

Its like the .219 Zipper Necked down 25-35

Whats the 225's parent case is there one?lightbulb

I think just because its not common. It seems like an awesome round a guy could just dedicate as a coyote caliber. I found one back in the spring but was too broke to get it.

Cant blame you there .......................was it in a bolt action? That would be hard to turn down.................

Its like my .19 Badger ................really odd

But if James Calhoon stops making bullets Im out ...........

It was in a bolt action. It was an old savage 340. I really liked its oddness. I'd love to have a Calhoun but same thing. I know you know that! I checked Thompson Center and I'm able to get a 225 barrel for my Encore. That's pretty cool cause there's a chance I won't have over 350 in it.

In the past I have hunted yotes primarily with .243. This year, I'm going after them with the .257 Weatherby and 80grn TTSX's. gun)

I've been using a .223, but have had several "runners" that I've had a hard time recoverying. So, I decided to go with a caliber that would have a little more knock-down power and purchased a Stevens .25-06. I'm still putting the reloading materials together, so I've not had a chance to shoot it at the range or hunt with it, yet. Based on ballistics, this rifle should be the "Hammer of Thor". :D

What's your caliber of choice, for hunting coyotes?

Thank you, Bowhunter57

I had the same problem with a 22-250 and started using a 25-06 with 90 grain hollow point No more runners. I love it

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.