What's your caliber of choice, for coyotes?

savage .17, t/c venture .204 shooting 32gr hornady, and remington 700 sps varmint .243 shooting 70 gr speer tnt!

20 vartarg, 16 1/4" mgm barrel t/c encore, 32 gr varmegedon bullets
223 rem, savage model 12, 50 gr hornady
25-06 rem, t/c venture, 100 gr hornady

30-06. 180 grain Sierra Gameking in front of 57.0 grains of H4831. Its not fast, 2552fps, but accurate. From a Vanguard, non-series 2. With a 1 pound Rifle Basics trigger. With Federal BR primers. Easily shoots under MOA.

Of course I haven't found ANY of my powder of choice or bullets or the primers I like. So I'm not shooting much. I'll be a happy man if this crap ever ends.

.257 Weatherby and I will kill one even when in the middle of a big game hunt. I really like setting up on gut piles cause they can't resist a free meal. Coyotes have greatly reduced mule deer population in my favorite Unit.

use a 270 for most everything. reminds me of a quote (don't remember where from)
watch out for the man who only has 1 gun.. he likely knows how to use it..

I picked up a Savage 25-06, I love the round and being a lefty was a caliber I like that they had at a great price.
I hunt for the Fur and a factory load from Barnes 90gr with 58.5 grains of powder = 3536 fps.

Most folks that hunt coyotes are taking long range shots, I like to as for me the longer the better, in the sense that if you miss (I don't) their not sure what happened, also if you have more than one yote around, you can take another shot.

As I said I hunt for the fur, being semi retired its a great outting and a fair income, as is any I don't have to answer to a boss.

Hope this helps.

Calling The Wild gun)

Depends on where i hunt in WA

Generally Tikka T3 Scout in .223 55 gr ballistic tips smokin..
257 WTBY 100 gr ballistic tips for more open areas southwest of here
long range 300 RUM a-max's

My hunting partner (read my 14yo daughter)
RRA Predator in 223 55gr ballistic tips
Howa 1500 in 243 80 gr ballistic tips
Tikka in 25-06 100gr ballistic tips
long range custom built 300 WSM a-max's

up north in the wooded farms 10guage triple t's

6.5 Creedmoor hands down the best coyote cartridge i've used. I've used 6mm rem 7mm rem mag, 25-06, 280, 30-06, and the creed. Its by far the best one. As long as you dont mind blowing them apart its an excellent gun! The 140 A-max pill doesnt do them any favors!:) I'm going to try and load up some 95 V-max pills and see what i get for results.

I am fond of the 55gr V-Max in .223Rem out of my 16in SD bull barrel flat top AR-15. It hammers them. Tuck it in behind the elbow and BAM, D.R.T.

Not real fur friendly though.

I am awaiting the arrival of my 6.5 Grendel from Specialized Dynamics. I was amazed by the performance of the 120gr A-max on coyotes and can't wait to see what I can do with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.