Whats the cartridge you LOVE to HATE?

Probably the hardest kicking rifle I have ever shot. My Barrett 50's are much more pleasant.
With a 4 port brake, and different stock, they are pretty mild. Without the modifications, yes, they are brutal.

I read all 66 pages of this thread. My wife was driving while we were traveling for eight hours! I was really surprised at some of the calibers people are hating on. 7 mag? And the 6.5 Creedmoor I don't believe is a bad round but I do agree with all the goofy hype being ridiculous. I do admit to having a 6mm Creedmoor that I really like.It's a Ruger Precision with a Proof Research Carbon fiber barrel. Laser beam. Definitely not the holy grail of deer rifles but I think it takes the .243 /6mm a step up. (Confessed earlier to having a 6.5x47 Lapua and was told no man bun required) Hope the 6CM doesn't put me in that territory cause I'm not the man bun type!
Again hatin' on the 6.5 Grendel. Ran 1000 plus rounds through one trying to make it something it was not

I read all 66 pages of this thread. My wife was driving while we were traveling for eight hours! I was really surprised at some of the calibers people are hating on. 7 mag? And the 6.5 Creedmoor I don't believe is a bad round but I do agree with all the goofy hype being ridiculous. I do admit to having a 6mm Creedmoor that I really like.It's a Ruger Precision with a Proof Research Carbon fiber barrel. Laser beam. Definitely not the holy grail of deer rifles but I think it takes the .243 /6mm a step up. (Confessed earlier to having a 6.5x47 Lapua and was told no man bun required) Hope the 6CM doesn't put me in that territory cause I'm not the man bun type!
Again hatin' on the 6.5 Grendel. Ran 1000 plus rounds through one trying to make it something it was not
Hey man I think this is some truth here…it's like preaching to the choir here to have a problem with the 6.5 creed so I don't. I'm a .243 owner (among other cartridges) and will straight up say:

Any merit the .243 had as a novice/women/youth cartridge for big game hunting is FAR overshadowed by the 6.5 creedmoor. The 6.5 is a better big game round. Period. If you can take the recoil of a .243 I don't know that the 6.5 is much different. And it's plainly more reliable on deer+ size game.

For crying out loud, so many have respect for the 6.5 Swede (myself included) and bash the 6.5 creed like it's a gimmick.

It is not a 700 yard elk cartridge. It is overhyped and well marketed. We all know that. But it's a perfectly useful hunting round (and far more practical than many) that dang near anyone could shoot well.

Hey man I think this is some truth here…it's like preaching to the choir here to have a problem with the 6.5 creed so I don't. I'm a .243 owner (among other cartridges) and will straight up say:

Any merit the .243 had as a novice/women/youth cartridge for big game hunting is FAR overshadowed by the 6.5 creedmoor. The 6.5 is a better big game round. Period. If you can take the recoil of a .243 I don't know that the 6.5 is much different. And it's plainly more reliable on deer+ size game.

For crying out loud, so many have respect for the 6.5 Swede (myself included) and bash the 6.5 creed like it's a gimmick.

It is not a 700 yard elk cartridge. It is overhyped and well marketed. We all know that. But it's a perfectly useful hunting round (and far more practical than many) that dang near anyone could shoot well.
Carnac has spoken! Spot on!

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, here's the deal:
There is absolutely NO caliber/rifle/gun that I HATE. NONE! I would like to have one or more of every caliber that was ever made. Some just interest me more than others.

Back in 2020 in the heat of the Covid fiasco, I heard about a guy who traded a bundle of Charmin Ultra for a custom 338 Lapua. I am not a hoarder, just a prepper, and I have a fairly large supply of Charmin Ultra. If anyone is really concerned about their ownership of a Super Yukky rifle, let me know. I would consider a trade for some of my Charmin.

Bill

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, here's the deal:
There is absolutely NO caliber/rifle/gun that I HATE. NONE! I would like to have one or more of every caliber that was ever made. Some just interest me more than others.

Back in 2020 in the heat of the Covid fiasco, I heard about a guy who traded a bundle of Charmin Ultra for a custom 338 Lapua. I am not a hoarder, just a prepper, and I have a fairly large supply of Charmin Ultra. If anyone is really concerned about their ownership of a Super Yukky rifle, let me know. I would consider a trade for some of my Charmin.

Bill
This reminds me of my generous offer to take people's gross "expired" brass (brass goes rancid you know) off their hands and properly dispose of it free of charge!

What does it offer over the .220 Russian?
Stronger bolts for one, and about 150fps plus faster (16" barrel 55gr 220R vs 60gr 224V). Plus more reliable feeding, though not as big of a deal as it once was since they developed better mags for the Russian rounds. It also allows for use of heavier bullets and longer range shooting.

Last edited:
Not familiar with the .220 Russian at all. Will it launch a 90 gr bullet at around 2900 fps? If so the Valkyrie doesn't have anything on it

I tried to google search the ballistics and it was all in m/ps not f/ps etc so I still have no clue how it compares to the .224 Valkyrie
Allow me to assist: 1 meter is 3.3 feet. Take whatever number in m/s your working with and just multiply by 3.3 and your good to go.

I do the same thing, I'm Canadian and supposedly metric but I think about most things in old imperial units still haha, always doing mental calculations to make sense of things.

I tried to google search the ballistics and it was all in m/ps not f/ps etc so I still have no clue how it compares to the .224 Valkyrie
53-57gr bullet at about 2950fps assuming it's in an AK so 16ish in barrel.

Not a lot of 16in barrel velocity for 224v but about 3050fps for a 60gr comes up consistently. I'm trying to give an apples to apples comparison but bullet weight is still not the same. 5gr difference I'd say another 50fps bump.

Honestly the rounds were designed for different bullets: 224V for long heavy bullets and the 220R for more light to medium size bullets. There is not a lot of overlap for standard loads of the two.

Last edited: