Whats the cartridge you LOVE to HATE?

Oh man right!?!? A pointless cartridge that can accidentally be chambered in a .223 to boot…won't happen with a 7.62x39.

Doesn't help that it's designed to be run from the exact same magazines through the same kind of rifle as the 5.56. Not such a ridiculous thing to worry about happening…
I wholehearted agree.

During my time as a RSO at 2 public ranges I saw the aftermath of a 300 Blk fired in a 223 chambered rifle.
The damage to the rifle(s) was, as one would expect, dramatic, the mental trauma to the individuals was just as bad. Fortunately the physical damage was surprisingly minimal.

I personally witnessed an incident of a 308W fired in a 30/06 chambered rifle.

The gist of this thread hi-jacking is when, or if, you have several different rifles in different calibers, clear the bench of ammo when you change rifles, double check that the correct ammo is used in the current rifle on the bench. If possible have a buddy follow you up on this, and don't depend on SAMMI differences in cartridges to prevent various cartridges from chambering in different rifles. There are some pretty sloppy chambers out there.
Rifle cartridges are not color coded like shotgun shells.

I'll crawl back in hole now, carry on.

Good advice there 41magnut…..quote: The gist of this thread hi-jacking is when, or if, you have several different rifles in different calibers, clear the bench of ammo when you change rifles, double check that the correct ammo is used in the current rifle on the bench

Had it happen to me….cost me a case, a chronograph, and a few moments of serious stress/disbelief! 🤬 I was doing load development for both my wife's .338 WM and my .375 AI. The shot from my AI had near nothing recoil, the muzzle blast appeared somewhat muffled, the chronograph "came from untogether"! 🙀 When I ejected the case, it was "straight-walled"! My first thought, my brain was a bit "muddled/rattled" at the time, was I had a case separation….with a portion of the case stuck in the chamber. ☹️ After a few moments of trying to look into the chamber, I finally looked at the ejected case and found it was a .338 WM.🥴

No apparent harm to the rifle….just major harm to my pride and to my chrono! 😢 memtb

921C8576-EE22-4789-84D0-3F8E65644422.jpeg

Yeah I could see if it was in a heavier rifle that it wouldn't be so bad. The one I shot was not in a Weatherby factory rifle and it wasn't much heavier than his 378 Weatherby factory rifle. We were also shooting 500gr bullets at full power. He was on his way to Zimbabwe for Cape and other large plains game.
I don't think that rifle weighed 10 pounds loaded and with the scope on it.
I have shot the 460 Weatherby rifle with the factory ported barrel and it was not that bad. I think the anticipation of that first shot had all of us nervous. We were shooting off sticks and not the bench. We each took 2 shots off the sticks and then 3 free hand at a charging bear target. I would have shot some more but we only had 1 box of ammo. That ammo is E X $ pensive. It is only a three shot rig, so if you can't get the job done in three - don't shoot. Still, it would be my first choice for T-rex's on the loose.

Yeah the only thing I won was a bruised and sore shoulder. Well that and the knowledge to never do it again.
Honestly though I'm happy with my 375 Ruger shooting a 300gr Swift A Frame at 2700fps. That is honestly my recoil threshold or where the fun stops.
Have one in the Alaskan model. Great shooter and friendly at that

Have one in the Alaskan model. Great shooter and friendly at that
Mine is the African model with the 23-1/2" barrel and wood stock. It's actually quite comfortable to shoot but after 20 or so rounds it's enough.
I've heard the Hogue stock absorbs the recoil better than the Walnut stock does. I may have to look for a left handed one and try it out.

Good advice there 41magnut…..quote: The gist of this thread hi-jacking is when, or if, you have several different rifles in different calibers, clear the bench of ammo when you change rifles, double check that the correct ammo is used in the current rifle on the bench

Had it happen to me….cost me a case, a chronograph, and a few moments of serious stress/disbelief! 🤬 I was doing load development for both my wife's .338 WM and my .375 AI. The shot from my AI had near nothing recoil, the muzzle blast appeared somewhat muffled, the chronograph "came from untogether"! 🙀 When I ejected the case, it was "straight-walled"! My first thought, my brain was a bit "muddled/rattled" at the time, was I had a case separation….with a portion of the case stuck in the chamber. ☹️ After a few moments of trying to look into the chamber, I finally looked at the ejected case and found it was a .338 WM.🥴

No apparent harm to the rifle….just major harm to my pride and to my chrono! 😢 memtb
Remember the 300WSM and the 7 mmWSM? The latter case is slightly longer precisely to avoid chambering it by mistake in the 300WSM.

Remember the 300WSM and the 7 mmWSM? The latter case is slightly longer precisely to avoid chambering it by mistake in the 300WSM.

Several cartridges that are based off of another, older cartridge, use similar to avoid any possible mistakes by a shooter. A good thing, but apparently some aren't done this way for reasons unknown! memtb

Recent Posts