Whats the cartridge you LOVE to HATE?

Lots of entertainment value to be had here!
I have had a bunch of the calibers that some of you love to hate. I like to believe they all have a purpose. Even if it was to inspire someone to do it better.
That said i only have a couple of calibers that i find distasteful.
7.62x39.. Shot one that belonged to a friend in an AK. Not sure of the reason but after 5 rounds it gave me a raging headache and i haven't wanted anything to do with caliber or rifle.
I own a 300 Ultra Mag. I really want to like it but the recoil is enough to make me flinch after a few rounds. I find it a bit unpleasant compared to my 300 Win mag.

Stronger bolts for one, and about 150fps plus faster (16" barrel 55gr 220R vs 60gr 224V). Plus more reliable feeding, though not as big of a deal as it once was since they developed better mags for the Russian rounds. It also allows for use of heavier bullets and longer range shooting.
Why wouldn't you be able to use a bolt made for Grendel? I'd think a barrel is all you'd need for .220 Russian. Heck, I'm interested now.

.270 Winchester. Don't exactly hate it, but I have never shot one that didn't kick like a ****ed-off mule. Lots of people have it and love it. but with a .30-'06 and a .25-06, it doesn't fit a niche for me, and I just don't see any advantage over the '06s.

Why wouldn't you be able to use a bolt made for Grendel? I'd think a barrel is all you'd need for .220 Russian. Heck, I'm interested now.
Thinner walls of the Grendel type2 or Type1 (7.62x39) bolt are not as strong as the thicker walls of the 224V/6.8 bolt. You don't make them stronger by removing more material. Alloys have fixed a lot of issues but that works for all bolts not just 7.62 etc.

Wow, someone predicted 25 pages and we're on 68. Lol! Nothing fills the seats like a little drama.
My $.02 is that I don't hate any of them, but one I can't bring myself to be even remotely interested in is the 6.5 Creed. I'm just a .308 guy since that was my first deer rifle dad gave me. No hate, just no interest.
The hype around the 7PRC is tempting, but redundant to my 280AI. Same with the 300PRC. Just doesn't do anything that much better than my 300WM.

270 Winchester. Ruined more meat with it then ALL of my magnum rifles put together. But the 6.5 Creedmore... WOW. How can anyone hate it??? I mean it will kill an elk at 10,000 yards more then if that elk was hit by a speeding train!!! In fact it will hit so hard that the bullet will throw the elk in the air... tenderize, cut and wrap the meat for you!!! 65 PRC not because it's a bad cartridge. But because Hornady did all this development (????) Really??? The 6.5 Rem Mag matches it in every way including accuracy. Considering my Bergara

Thinner walls of the Grendel type2 or Type1 (7.62x39) bolt are not as strong as the thicker walls of the 224V/6.8 bolt. You don't make them stronger by removing more material. Alloys have fixed a lot of issues but that works for all bolts not just 7.62 etc.
I did have a type 1 bolt fall apart but not a later model. I'd wager with lighter bullets of the .220 it would do just fine.

Last edited:
30 Nosler... how Nosler or Hornady can claim that they "developed" these cartridges when guys have has the EXACT same wildcat cartridges for over 40 years is hilarious!!! That being said I don't own a 30 nosler and I need one to complete my 30 magnum repitore lol.

I will give Weatherby some credence in that at least (from what I've seen) they are not doing as much "oh my good look at how great we are. Our designers are so great. They can walk on water AND it's not frozen water!!!"

For those of us who read and **** near memorized every word Rick Jamison did on his short fat wildcats... which low and behold became the WSM line he was already following what other wildcatters were doing. BUT... he openly talked about what he was trying to get etc. Out of the cartridges.

So did you switch barrels to run a type 2 or just upgrade to a newer alloy type 1 bolt?
whelp, the gun blew so upgraded the whole thing. I should have noticed it was getting sticky extraction. Even had to mortar one to get the live round out. Fired out of battery and the bolt fell into three pieces. I consider myself lucky and learned from it. Sticky ejection = problem. Factory ammo too. Barrel is still good but the upper is mangled.

Lots of entertainment value to be had here!
I have had a bunch of the calibers that some of you love to hate. I like to believe they all have a purpose. Even if it was to inspire someone to do it better.
That said i only have a couple of calibers that i find distasteful.
7.62x39.. Shot one that belonged to a friend in an AK. Not sure of the reason but after 5 rounds it gave me a raging headache and i haven't wanted anything to do with caliber or rifle.
I own a 300 Ultra Mag. I really want to like it but the recoil is enough to make me flinch after a few rounds. I find it a bit unpleasant compared to my 300 Win mag.
First time I shot a 7.62x39 AK47 I suffered a raging Permanent Erection. Would have been cheaper if I got a headache instead…..

Recent Posts