What clothes / Layering design do you guys use for late season in places like CO all I had was some ridge reaper stuff and some thermals.

It has changed over the years. I until last year I almost always had a wool outer layer. I just go with layers depending on how cold it is and how much activity I will have. Wind is a huge factor. I have worn old school waffle, silk, wool, Under Armour Cold Gear, and currently using Merino wool. If multiple layers needed I go with Under Armor and Merino over the top. I also swapped to Merino wool socks and that helped a lot. Then I put on what ever layer of pants fits the under layer. The coldest was 19 below and I added a layer of cotten sweat pants under my wool and my rain gear over the top for wind. Same for the top layers. Last year I swapped out to First Lite and I'm still processing and working on that system and what to use. The coldest I have used it was 8 degrees. The advantage to the first lite is I dont need another layer to stop the wind like straight wool.

It has changed over the years. I until last year I almost always had a wool outer layer. I just go with layers depending on how cold it is and how much activity I will have. Wind is a huge factor. I have worn old school waffle, silk, wool, Under Armour Cold Gear, and currently using Merino wool. If multiple layers needed I go with Under Armor and Merino over the top. I also swapped to Merino wool socks and that helped a lot. Then I put on what ever layer of pants fits the under layer. The coldest was 19 below and I added a layer of cotten sweat pants under my wool and my rain gear over the top for wind. Same for the top layers. Last year I swapped out to First Lite and I'm still processing and working on that system and what to use. The coldest I have used it was 8 degrees. The advantage to the first lite is I dont need another layer to stop the wind like straight wool.
my hunting area is deadfall ridden and very very thick constant trudging through old pine and aspen off trail and it tore up my Underarmour ridge reaper so ill probs be looking at wool and firstlite

my hunting area is deadfall ridden and very very thick constant trudging through old pine and aspen off trail and it tore up my Underarmour ridge reaper so ill probs be looking at wool and firstlite
We ride horses a lot elk hunting, and those buggers will run you into a limb stob or tree limb all the time. I had my wools sewn a few times, and had to put a large butt layer where my arse and upper inner legs contacted the saddle. We didnt have time to clear trail this year and had a lot of blow downs. I was wearing my First Lite Corrugate Guide pants (Thin as hell and I do not recommend them) with waffle long underwear. Horse ran me into a tree, and gouged hard enough it pushed my leg out of the stirrup, tore my pants and waffle long johns gouging my calf. The stob stuck me just above my gaiters (wear them on horse due to saddle rubbing pants at calf). I didn't want to look until I got off because I could feel the blood on my leg. I could not see the tear in my pants, and pulled them down to assess the damage. I then saw a small tear less than an inch long right where my gaiters ended. I don't know if the gaiters stopped it or what but I expected them to be ripped open. If it had been my wools it would be a patch job. My brother on the same trip had one leg of his Wranglers ripped half off below the knee. My tear was a little more fuzzy, and I just took them out where they have been rolled up in the tote for a month.

Attachments

• IMG_4953.jpg
    IMG_4953.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_4954.jpg
    IMG_4954.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_4955.jpg
    IMG_4955.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 108
First Lite Corrugate Guide pants (Thin as hell and I do not recommend them)
Shut Your Mouth! They are my most favoritist FL pant. I can bust canyons in mesquite thorns and all manner of nasty TX brush and I can wear them to church! Stay off them horses!

Shut Your Mouth! They are my most favoritist FL pant. I can bust canyons in mesquite thorns and all manner of nasty TX brush and I can wear them to church! Stay off them horses!
Nope I like their breathability and comfort. I hate how I can feel every blade of grass, grain of sand, stitch on the saddle, and crawling I might as well be buck arse naked. They upgraded them this year and I am super excited to see how they compare. Just not going to lay out anymore money until I can actually wear a pair first. I like the softshell I have a lot. So now the have vent zippers and thicker lower leg, knees, and but, those pants may be the ticket.

Nope I like their breathability and comfort. I hate how I can feel every blade of grass, grain of sand, stitch on the saddle, and crawling I might as well be buck arse naked. They upgraded them this year and I am super excited to see how they compare. Just not going to lay out anymore money until I can actually wear a pair first. I like the softshell I have a lot. So now the have vent zippers and thicker lower leg, knees, and but, those pants may be the ticket.
You're talking about the foundry corrugate pants with the side zips, knee pads, etc. Total junk. I bought a pair and they turned out to be oompa loopma pants. I sent them back.

I can't believe we are talking about the same corrugate guide pant. I bought another pair just two months ago based upon the satisfaction I have had the past two years with mine.

Merino long underwear tops/bottoms and socks medium weight. Just picked up 2 neck gaiters on Amazon of course Merino wool.

You're talking about the foundry corrugate pants with the side zips, knee pads, etc. Total junk. I bought a pair and they turned out to be oompa loopma pants. I sent them back.

I can't believe we are talking about the same corrugate guide pant. I bought another pair just two months ago based upon the satisfaction I have had the past two years with mine.
Only person I call oompa Loompa is a short little midget lying ***. so those pants must have really sucked. Focus, Focus, on a serious question what was wrong with them for you? I'll throw you a biscuit...I love the pocket arrangement and suspenders on the pants.

The first lite merino base layersare all great stuff, the obsidian merino pants are good for warmer weather and the catalyst pants are my choice when temps start to drop. My pack usually has the rain gear and brooks down sweater in it if I need more layers The sanctuary setup is great for whitetail hunting when you're sitting in a blind or tree stand for hours in cold weather.

reelamin - I'm not sure anything is going to stand up to the abuse those horses are putting you through.

I love those First Lite merino pants. They are my go to archery elk hot weather pant. You can put a base layer under them and they ok for cooler temps. Last year I got the Sitka blizzard parka and pants gore Tex with goose down on super sale, still $$ Holy wearable sleeping bag. Used it this year whitetail tree stand hunting on a couple cold mornings, hard to stay awake wearing it. A good all around pant is the Kuiu pro, I think, has the thin knee pads. They are fairly thick and super comfortable. They hold up to decent abuse and do not pick up much for seeds,burrs etc. Older Sitka 90 percent pants are good also. Put a merino base layer under them they good into the mid teens/ 20s easy.

Recent Posts