What type of shelter do you use most often for backpack hunting during rifle season?

What type of shelter do you use most often for backpack hunting during rifle season?

• Bivy

Votes: 47 7.0%
  • Tarp

Votes: 75 11.1%
  • Bivy/Tarp combo

Votes: 90 13.3%
  • 3 season double wall tent

Votes: 130 19.2%
  • 3 season single wall tent

Votes: 154 22.8%
  • 4 season tent

Votes: 96 14.2%
  • Tipi

Votes: 84 12.4%

• Total voters
Bivy
Tarp
Bivy/Tarp combo
3 season double wall tent
3 season single wall tent
4 season tent
Tipi
I use a small 2 person tent from Cabelas, weighs about 3 pounds then I carry my 0* sleeping bag. I also live in Missouri now so it doesn't get that cold in November, Ol' Red would probably be able to give you some good idea though.

Tipis for me. I'm tall and can't stand the coffin feeling light weight options. Condensation is a pain, weight savings isn't all that different after ground sheet/liners, but the option to run a stove, and at least sit up on my knees so worth it!

I did "tarping" as a younger hunter back in the '70s. It was tolerable - but just.
As stated earlier here I use a Tarptent Moment DW (Double Wall) with a longitudinal optional CrossingPole run lengthwise under the tarp, not over it as originally designed. This handles any snow load and wind very well. As well this solo tent averages about 10 F. higher interior temperature than the outside temp.

I may even use my very similar Tarptent NotchLi (Dyneema "fabric") ultra light tent. It's half the weight of the Moment DW and a very similar design but held up by my carbon fiber hiking poles/shooting sticks instead of a hoop-shaped aluminum pole, saving even more weight. It can withstand snow when properly guyed out. Hey, I'm a geezer and need to keep carried weight low.

Anything above 20f I use a hammock unless I know there is a LOT of flat places to use a 2 man tent. I sleep way better in my hammock than any ground tent

I use a Black Diamond firstlight tent. It's a single wall, freestanding. Weighs just over 3 pounds. Can fit all my gear inside comfortably. I do sometimes tarp now that I live in CA and the weather is much drier than other places I've lived in the past, and I'm enjoying that more. But the security of having 4 walls is pretty nice in case of bad weather. I've spent many an unexpected down-day in that tent and was always so glad to have it.

Don't laugh but I have been using the same Eureka Apex tent since 1997. It isn't the lightest but it is durable and dependable. Never leaks and bouces right back if overloaded with snow. I bought a Diamond 2 person for a hunt with my cousin coming up this year. Outside of winter and fall I get by nicely with a 10x10 tarp and ground sheet.

Don't laugh but I have been using the same Eureka Apex tent since 1997. It isn't the lightest but it is durable and dependable. Never leaks and bouces right back if overloaded with snow. I bought a Diamond 2 person for a hunt with my cousin coming up this year. Outside of winter and fall I get by nicely with a 10x10 tarp and ground sheet.
Haha.

I still have my mnt "whatever" from Eureka, the thing is a tank.

My house, backpack from my front door and return to a shower, hot meal and a fire. Elk and deer are usually running around in my yard though, so sometimes don't bother with the backpack part. Last year I hunted from my Wife's Toyota Highlander for Elk because diesel fuel is so dang expensive now and I drew for a tag 20 miles away. Hiked down and up from the car with a bottle of water and a rifle chasing a herd for 4 days that always seemed to be on top when I was in the bottom and in the bottom when I was on top. Not sure if the bull was bugling or laughing at me. Too old to pack 400 lbs of meat 5 miles on my back like I did when I was young and don't own or want a horse, they eat too much and are always getting hurt…1 mile straight up with quarters in a frame pack last year - always reminds me of football practice in August. I'll save the backpacking for pleasure backpacking and fly fishing and hunt closer, seems most years after hiking all day, I get back and they're standing by my truck anyway 🤔😂

Once you convert to the gutless method, you don't need a frame pack. Any old sack with straps will work just fine. It makes no sense to me to carry out bones. I've never found a good recipe for them. Of course sometimes we work extra hard just for the exercise and to stay in shape.

Once you convert to the gutless method, you don't need a frame pack. Any old sack with straps will work just fine. It makes no sense to me to carry out bones. I've never found a good recipe for them. Of course sometimes we work extra hard just for the exercise and to stay in shape.
That sounds doable if your hunting squirrels 100 yards from the truck. The only bones I carry are skulls with antlers and I still need the frame pack even for does and cows. Maybe I am just old.

My 14 year old grandson's 'primitive' camp

Attachments

• 20230406_154227.jpg
    20230406_154227.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 67
Re: What type of shelter do you use most often for backpack hunting during rifle seas

I go out in the morning with my backpack and 4x4 and am back at night with my backpack 4x4 and critter. Hunting it up in a RV...gotta love living in Idaho:)
And you are the guy I hate to see when I'm out hunting Elk with a Bow and I have just spent a hour or two sneaking in on a herd and you come driving by and scary them off!!! It's happened to me 3 time so far in 8 years!!!

I have done it all. Outfitter tents off horseback. Sleeping under the stars using a horse blanket. Single person, 2 person, and a bivy. My personal preference is a single person alps tent. The bivy is ok too but there is something a bit more comforting about the tent and not having the bivy burrito feeling.