Warthogs in Texas

JimFromTN

I read that they found free ranging warthogs in Texas 7 or 8 years ago. Has anyone seen any? Also, any knowledge on how they interact with the local hog population?

They were discovered in the Chaparral WMA back in 2015. No one knows how they got there. My understanding is that they can't breed with the other wild hogs in Texas which is why I assume they are not overrun with them.

I read that article when it came out. There are lots of exotics around Texas for various reasons...my Uncle's ranch around Canyon Lake has always had ring tail lemurs. The story was that because warthogs burrow, they dug out from an exotic game ranch. I've hunted quite a few areas of Texas and never seen one, but always kept my eyes out for them since that article.

They were discovered in the Chaparral WMA back in 2015. No one knows how they got there. My understanding is that they can't breed with the other wild hogs in Texas which is why I assume they are not overrun with them.
Thank God for that! They are bad enough as they are....

If they truly could eat fire ants there would be a population boom of epic proportions!! Dang fire ants are everywhere and near as I can tell impossible to be rid of.
If they truly could eat fire ants there would be a population boom of epic proportions!! Dang fire ants are everywhere and near as I can tell impossible to be rid of.
Gasoline or old Gun powder

Wish they would import some of those African Ant eaters for the fire ants.
Since fireants are from South America, the Giant South American ant eater might be best, though I don't know if they go for any ants or a particular species

Gasoline or old Gun powder
1/4 cup gas down the main opening, don't light it. The fumes are heavier than air and they settle to the bottom where the queen usually is and gasses her. That's the way we used to get rid of them until the EPA said that it was polluting the ground water.

We have a ton of exotic ranches here in Texas, especially south texas. It's very popular to hunt there, especially with non native bigger game with no season. All sort of game gets out of those high fenced ranches, no doubt a couple of warthogs would get out.

Take a yard sprayer that attaches to a hose and put dawn dish soap in it them spray till it looks like it's snowed it will get rid of them for quite awhile not permanent but after doing it for a year or so they won't come back