Hogs in Texas

Try paying for a ranch and keeping it operating before daring to judge.

I do have a problem with the state doing anything to subsidize poisoning of the hogs. How the heck is someone to know the hog they trap or shoot to eat has been exposed?

Definition: Fraud: Somebody who deliberately deceives another primarily for financial gain.

If you'll read my comment again you'll read that I posed that statement as my opinion.

Once again, in my opinion; One who charges to hunt, and maintains a huntable population for profit, and makes an insurance claim for damages caused by wild hogs is fraud.

These landowners may be operating within the parameters of their insurance policy; however if a concerted effort is not made to eliminate the damages claimed but to sustain a huntable population for profit, in my opinion that is deception.
Unless they are specifically providing feed, housing, protection etc for the hogs they are not "maintaining a huntable population" in order to commit any sort of fraud. If you believe they are sit down with your DA.

Try paying for a ranch and keeping it operating before daring to judge.

I do have a problem with the state doing anything to subsidize poisoning of the hogs. How the heck is someone to know the hog they trap or shoot to eat has been exposed?
The poison turns the fat in the hog bright blue. You would have to be blind to miss it.

I doubt a small dose will turn any thing blue. I think this is just one more big one like the peaceful death. We eat enough with chemicals in it. Why in the world would we take a chance on this.

Wild Rose: In fact I do own a piece of property and have the hogs controlled pretty well I think with more than 200 animals removed in the last 14 months from my little slice of the pie and contiguous properties.

No matter whether you own several hundred acres or many thousand acres keeping a property up is a lot of work and it has been an effort to get a handle on it, but as for now is quite manageable.

Apparently my fraud comment has PO'd some but that is MY OWN OPINION!!! You know the old saying, everyone's got one. And no I don't charge to hunt nor do I file any Insurance claims for damages caused by wild hogs.

Wild Rose: In fact I do own a piece of property and have the hogs controlled pretty well I think with more than 200 animals removed in the last 14 months from my little slice of the pie and contiguous properties.

No matter whether you own several hundred acres or many thousand acres keeping a property up is a lot of work and it has been an effort to get a handle on it, but as for now is quite manageable.

Apparently my fraud comment has PO'd some but that is MY OWN OPINION!!! You know the old saying, everyone's got one. And no I don't charge to hunt nor do I file any Insurance claims for damages caused by wild hogs.
Try paying for a few hundred or thousand acres and then get back with us.

Yes when you accuse people of fraud it can be taken as an insult as it should be.

I bitch and complain about welfare in the farm program too but there's zero fraud in having someone pay to hunt or to trap you animals for a profit themselves and yes, there are a lot of farmers and ranchers that won't trust anyone shooting on their land that they don't know very well and you can't blame them for that either.

I doubt a small dose will turn any thing blue. I think this is just one more big one like the peaceful death. We eat enough with chemicals in it. Why in the world would we take a chance on this.
With no long term data on potential health issues involved in the consumption of meat from animals who have consumed it it's crazy.

Not so long ago we were all sure that eating a little lead shot or bullet fragments wasn't going to hurt us either.

"Try paying for a few hundred or thousand acres and then get back with us."

How the FU#$ do you think I got my property, it **** sure wasn't given to me!!! That's kind of a bold statement for someone that knows not of what they speak.

I know for a fact it does. The research was done on my property.

OK. How big a dose does it take to turn the fat blue and how many days does it take to happen? Plus why at first did they say a peaceful death. Now five days of terrible suffering. They also said the meat was still good to eat. Are you and the biologists serving it to your family and friends. Ya'll should have plenty. I am not about to eat it. We were told nicotine, lead, and many other chemicals were safe. One of the great advantages of hunting is that we are able to bring to our dinner table meat that has no steroids, growth hormones, preservatives, or other chemicals.
With no long term data on potential health issues involved in the consumption of meat from animals who have consumed it it's crazy.

Not so long ago we were all sure that eating a little lead shot or bullet fragments wasn't going to hurt us either.

OK. How big a dose does it take to turn the fat blue and how many days does it take to happen? Plus why at first did they say a peaceful death. Now five days of terrible suffering. They also said the meat was still good to eat. Are you and the biologists serving it to your family and friends. Ya'll should have plenty. I am not about to eat it. We were told nicotine, lead, and many other chemicals were safe. One of the great advantages of hunting is that we are able to bring to our dinner table meat that has no steroids, growth hormones, preservatives, or other chemicals.

Why don't you call Kaput and ask them. They have the definitive answer. I don't eat wild hog because I don't like the taste. I don't like deer for the same reason. Never seen any data or heard any conversation about five day suffering/peaceful death.

Excerpt from the Texas Trubune:

"Kaput's active ingredient is warfarin, which at varying concentrations is used as a rat poison and as a blood thinner in humans. Dispensed through special feeders that have weighted lids intended to limit other animals' access, it causes hogs that consume it to die of internal bleeding. The product's label says this process can take four to seven days.

Use instructions warn against allowing livestock to graze or hunting in areas around the baited feeders until at least 90 days after removing the poison. Carcasses must be buried 18 inches under the ground or, if that's not possible because of environmental conditions, removed from site.

The agriculture department has defended the poison, saying the state rules would impose stricter restrictions than the EPA, including limiting use of the poison to state-licensed pesticide applicators.

Miller's news release lamented Scimetrics' decision, saying, "Unfortunately, it seems that once again, the hard-working folks who turn the dirt and work from sunup to sundown have fallen victim to lawyers, environmental radicals and the misinformed. Once again, politically correct urban media hacks and naysayers win out against the rural folks who produce the food and fiber everyone needs."

Never seen any data or heard any conversation about five day suffering/peaceful death.

Well if its on the label, Kaput is surely not trying to hide it.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.