Two elk down yesterday.

Out of 17 elk not one was over 225 yards. Most with a 30-06, but a few with the 300 WM.
Hopefully this year will be the granddaughter's turn with her 7mm-08.
Man, I'd love to get a shot that close...I've shot two Elk and one mule deer on trips out west and all three have been 500+ yards...man I'd love to shoot one at say 150...or closer :)

Man, I'd love to get a shot that close...I've shot two Elk and one mule deer on trips out west and all three have been 500+ yards...man I'd love to shoot one at say 150...or closer :)
I typically hunt the north slopes thick with trees and brush with benches they bed on during midday. The closest was a stepped off 17 paces called in using a cow call. I watched his antlers above the willows coming over 200 yards away. Then he stepped into an opening and that was it.
The furthest was in a herd. They were moving along a trail again on a north facing slope. I was looking down on them as they crossed an opening (avalanche area as I recall). I checked each out as they crossed the opening. Worked well.

I typically hunt the north slopes thick with trees and brush with benches they bed on during midday. The closest was a stepped off 17 paces called in using a cow call. I watched his antlers above the willows coming over 200 yards away. Then he stepped into an opening and that was it.
The furthest was in a herd. They were moving along a trail again on a north facing slope. I was looking down on them as they crossed an opening (avalanche area as I recall). I checked each out as they crossed the opening. Worked well.

Ronald to sum up what ridgewalker said, the thicker the stuff you hunt in…..the closer the shots are! 😉

My closest was a spike that I walked up on, walking very slow, no breeze, about 1" of fresh, moist snow on the forest floor, was taken while asleep at about 8 or so yards!

Actually, asleep is a bit misleading! I was very slowly (9maybe too slowly) bringing my rifle to my shoulder, when his eyes "popped open"! It's truly amazing how fas an elk can go from asleep to somewhere near "light speed"! He was moving right to left so fast, at that range I had difficulty swinging my rifle as fast as he was moving! As I realized that my swing was falling behind…..I "slammed" the trigger.

Yep, I "gut shot" him! 🤬 But, a 270 grain Hornady SP from my .375 H&H @ about 10 yards will make them very sick! A follow-up shot wasn't too difficult! memtb

Last edited:
I don't know where you hunt Friend, but in our hardwood cutovers you have one choice for visibility, and that is elevation.
Loc/ons, ladders, towers etc.
And 25-30ft beats 15-20 by a long way.
On 13,000 acres our topography doesn't change but maybe 8-10ft, except for the Ms River bank itself.
IMG_7103.jpeg

I don't know where you hunt Friend, but in our hardwood cutovers you have one choice for visibility, and that is elevation.
Loc/ons, ladders, towers etc.
And 25-30ft beats 15-20 by a long way.
On 13,000 acres our topography doesn't change but maybe 8-10ft, except for the Ms River bank itself.View attachment 510342

Lotsa folks have no understanding or concept of the bottoms down there!

Example, the highest land (natural) in Louisiana is 535 feet above sea level! 🤔😉 memtb

The guide in Colorado said minimum shots would be 300 yards , many went home empty handed because they couldn't make the shots required, ballistics calculators are a wonderful thing. 400 yards on an elk is nothing with good equipment.