Two elk down yesterday.

I certainly agree.
This brain isn't geared to hold low.

It may not be "geared" for holding low…..but, you can train yourself! If you, in our case, have a 300 yard zero for 30 or so years…..holding a few inches low from 150 to 200 becomes second nature! It's a non-issue on big game……a little more critical if you're squirrel hunting! 😉 memtb

Two of my favorite calibers, I've hunted with the 30-06 for over 50 years, the. 270 for 30 plus years. The last elk I shot 3 years ago was with the 30-06 and the first elk I shot nearly 50 years ago was with the same rifle. Both calibers have been killing elk here in Idaho forever. Most of my hunting is 300 yards or less. In the timber 100 yards or less.

memtb, I thought it was obvious. OP felt that the intrepid 400 yard long rangers needed his help to sight in. And since it is obvious they are not members here, he had to 'help' post their hero pics for all to fawn over, even though there are better ways to insure success at longer ranges, than the method they chose.

memtb, I thought it was obvious. OP felt that the intrepid 400 yard long rangers needed his help to sight in. And since it is obvious they are not members here, he had to 'help' post their hero pics for all to fawn over, even though there are better ways to insure success at longer ranges, than the method they chose.

Merely conjecture here: But, perhaps there's good logical reasoning for this approach!

#1: Perhaps his friends came up from much lower elevation, and as many here have advocated…..re-zeroing at expected elevation is prudent!

#2: Perhaps he knew, within the bounds of reason, almost exactly where and at what range to expect the elk!

I have a friend that hunted a particular area for most of his life, he's pushing 60 very hard. He knows the area like the back of his hand, and has killed several elk, that without deductions for broken tines, ect., are well into B&C class…..one hypothetically in excess of 410!

He knows that during the first day or two of the elk season opening….the exact pass/gap where the elk will move once the hunting pressure starts. This gap/pass is around 850 yards from where he sets-up for the almost inevitable shot! He practices all year at that distance! Yes, he ranges the elk when they're crossing, as 50 yards plus or minus @ 850 yards is far more critical than 50 yards @ 400 yards!

Sometimes there are very logical reasons for decisions made…..even though we may not know the reasoning behind those decisions! memtb

Don't need anyone to fawn over, anyone with $ can hunt and get elk, is there something wrong with helping friends sight in their rifles, both ar crack shots Amish rarely miss, if you can't hit an elk at 400 yards you shouldn't be in the field. I shoot gh's at 400 all day with a 204, I sense inadequacy in your marksmanship.Keep it positive or don't bother replying. By the way I'd love to hear your methods, I learned mine as a prestigious member of metro swat team 5 years constant rigorous training perhaps you can offer a few pointers.👌👍

Recent Posts