Time for a boot upgrade, need some help

so when I hiked the Appalachian Trail after retirement, I used an insert called Superfeet. The green is the one that has the most support. Their line of inserts are color coded. My hiking boots held up to an embarrassingly heavy pack for 3 months until I changed to trail runners because of the heat. The green Superfeets made the switch also. No foot problems for 2181 miles.
And here I've hated the super feet I've tried. Just goes to show ya...it's all about what fits YOU.

I have been a midwest whitetail hunter all of my life but this past year I have the bug for backpack/mountain hunting. I bought what I thought to be a decent boot in the Under Armour line up to discover it isn't enough for the load out packing elk. For the same elk hunt, my son bought Lacrosse windrose boots and said his feet felt great after packing out two bulls.

What I need help with is picking a better quality boot and not breaking the bank. Lets say the budget is 300 and under and I want non-insulated. I want something that is water proof (gtx), holds up well, has a nice toe box and doesn't require a long break-in period. Lowa, La Sportiva Nucleo and Salomon Quest have been some I have been considering because I can try them on locally at REI. Any input would be great and how they fit compared to Under Armour or Nike would be nice information.
Have you looked at Filson

Find what boot fits your feet. I don't buy "hunting" boots. Lowa, la sportiva, asolo, zamberlan, and Salomon all make great boots. Your foot will decide which is best.

For rifle elk hunts in October I would suggest a mountaineering boot.

It's about your feet. I'm size 13E, high arches, need a big toe box or I get horrible ingrown toe nails. Plus, my feet sweat something terrible in boots, and I need them to breathe, so don't buy any Gore-Tex lined boots any more.

I have Red Wings, Danners, Merrills, Whites, La Sportiva, Asolos, Keen & some US made pair I bought at Goodwill.
  • Red Wing boots (USA Made only) They are so comfortable I will take them into the mountains. The sole is not durable enough for nasty rocky terrain, and they are not snug enough for difficult foot holds.
  • Danner Quarry non insulated. Tough friggin boots, well oiled and basically water proof as a result. The last is too flexible for hardscrabble ridge work, but excellent for everything else.
  • Danner Vicious, Chinese made. Excellent for snow and field work, but they're like moon boots and useless on any rough terrain.
  • Merrill. Also China. Back when they were european made, these used to be my goto hiking boot. Never again. Two pair that have sucked badly.
  • White Grande Ronde series, made in Romania. These are, so far, my favorite boot. Stiff sole, generous toe box, excellent arch support, water proof yet I don't sweat inside and turn them into a swimming pool. I was deciding between these and Kennetrex Xtremes, and a professional guide said he couldn't get the Ktrex to last more than one season because of their sole.
  • Asolos - the ones I have are outstanding hikers, good stiff soles. Only problem is the toe box is too small for me. Otherwise, I've had them a dozen years and I've put hundreds of Hood and Jefferson NF and PCT miles on them. My Whites replace them.
  • La Sportivas. Mountain climbing. Too stiff for hunting, but perfect for the peaks here. If they were a little less stiff, I'd probably have worn them out by now.
  • Keen - USA made. Ugh, hurt my feet, rarely wear them. Chinese made - no ventilation at all, the smell of my feet in them will kill a dog.
  • US Made Good Will specials. I wish I knew who made these. They have a hollow heel with a big foam post inside it. So comfortable I've worn them out in 10 years, and the quietest boot on rocks and gravel I have ever worn.

I wear kenetrek when elk hunting. Love em. No break in period. When hiking in mountainous terrain, look for a stiffer sole. You feet won't wear out so fast. One big drawback is you can't feel sticks or rocks as easy. Their harder to slip up on something.

I have a couple of pairs of danner hood winter, the last pair I had to return because the sole started deleminating and the replacements I received the heel counter collapsed and the lining started separating on the inside.......not happy.

Last edited:
A lot of various recommendations offered already. The advice I have is simple, buy a boot built on a boot last not a molded tennis shoe "boot." In order to have the stability and weight bearing capacity needed for mountain hunting packing weight an actual boot is a must. Yes, they will be heavier, stiffer and more costly than the "trail runners" that the purple hair granola crowd prefers. As an example I'll be another vote for Danner Marine Expeditionary Boots. The last 20 years of my 30 on active duty were in Danner boots around the globe. They never failed me. Enjoy the hunt and I process leading to it.

PS a good orthotic insole goes a long way too. The Spenco Aetrex L405 is my insole of choice. Very long lasting. However, like bore brushes, when worn out throw them out and buy new ones. Everything has a life cycle.

You can't run fast enough to give me ANYTHING made by Nike!!!😡
Yep.
I also almost bought them this year because I always like the shoe style feel as I was gifted with insanely tough ankles. Never rolled one or ever even had any pain in them. And I've race atv's and snowmobiles at a high level.
But as I've stated I refuse to give my money to a company that will then take it and spend it against me on the political theater.
As for boots the best pair I've every had was the original cabelas brand with boa. Bought them the day before an African trip and never had an issue. Now the newer ones I have are not as good but I can't get back to using a boat I have to tie. Seems I'm always dealing with laces.
But I will be watching this very close as I'm in the same boat as the Op.

Just a thought here, have you looked at combat boots? A lot of the same companies that make your high dollar hunting boots make combat boots. 21 years of service and more hunting, I've often wore my combat boots. I've worn many boots on 15-20 mile ruck marches without hot spots or blisters carrying upwards of 60 lbs of gear.

I've owned combat boots made by Lowa, Merrell, Danner, and other big name hunting boot manufacturers. They all sell for around $150-200 for a standard combat boot, a little more for insulated/waterproof. So just a little food for thought.

Th
Cabelas shows they carry kennetrek, danner and Zamberlan so looks like I have another reason to go to my favorite store!!
They are not stocked in store but you can order from them . Start now and order from Midway try on in house and send back if you want something else. I prefer Crispi but have just bought Zamberlain , too early to tell on them but crispi are excellent!

Kennetrek is my choice after going through many brands for the past 65 years. I was sold immediately. In the South you can even use the Safari model instead of Mountain Guide or Extreme. Keep them treated, like I did Galibier Vercours a half century ago.

A lot of various recommendations offered already. The advice I have is simple, buy a boot built on a boot last not a molded tennis shoe "boot." In order to have the stability and weight bearing capacity needed for mountain hunting packing weight an actual boot is a must. Yes, they will be heavier, stiffer and more costly than the "trail runners" that the purple hair granola crowd prefers. As an example I'll be another vote for Danner Marine Expeditionary Boots. The last 20 years of my 30 on active duty were in Danner boots around the globe. They never failed me. Enjoy the hunt and I process leading to it.
My hood winters are made in USA on a last, $400 boot, no bueno! Maybe quality isnt what it once was at Danner?

Hm well I'm the outlier here but I don't prefer heavy boots for anything except mountaineering. A boot shouldn't provide you with stability. Stability should come from the muscles in your feet and legs. For hiking and hunting I prefer a light cheap hiker like Merrell Moabs or something similar, or even plain old tennis shoes.

That being said, i have to wear boots often for work and I have had good luck with Lowa boots along with my coworkers. The Baffin and Tibet boots are good quality heavy leather boots. Longevity has been good for us across the board except for with the Renegade model and other lighter/cheaper options.