Cotton Ball With Ashes Fire Starter - No Match Needed

If you are at elevation, Bic lighters may not work. Electric (Tesla type) lighters will spark but you have to have something to burn. Do a quick on-line search for recipes on how to make the cotton/petroleum-jelly mix and how to store it. https://www.instructables.com/Cotton-Wool-Ball-and-Petroleum-Jelly-Firestarters/

If you add the ash, you are actually making a form of Nitrocellulose - Gun Cotton.

Last edited:
You can mix old 4895 or similar powder with acetate and it gets sticky. Roll into ball and store in a film canister or pill bottle after it dries. You still have to ignite it, but it burns hot!

Take your wife's flat make up removing pads and place a couple of strike anywhere between 2 Of them. Then pour some melted wax and saturate the pads. After they cool you can place them in a ziplock bag. To start your fire just remove one- separate them to get your matches out light the waxy pads burns pretty good and hot 🥵

personally, I usually just drive somewhere warm... money is good kindling lately. it doesn't have much value anymore. you can flick a bic lighter and she'll fire over 10K feet up; I've lit a smoke on the Beartooth pass at the top before and it wasn't hard. Butane doesn't like extreme cold though, so keep the dang thing in your pocket if it's well below freezing.

So a fire starting flare, burns 7 minutes at 2,000°! Buy 12 pack for little over $30. I carry a couple similar and used flare once to start a fire at outfitters camp that was damp wood. Holy cow did it get it going in eyeblink! Outfitter told me he was going give all his guides to carry as part of emergency pack. Best part is how easy no matter altitude etc.

Edit added: screw the cotton balls!