Tents for setting up in a storm

Hilleberg is a good one that sets up with the inner tent connected to the fly, and they have a a few versions with the GT vestibule for extra room. I have an anjan 2 GT that has been great for a light and fast above tree line kind of tent.
I'll 2nd the Hilleberg recommendation. I have a Tarra and its wonderful. A bit heavier, but its a fortress, a very comfortable fortress. They aren't cheap, but its literally your "home" in the backcountry...

Springtom,
Yep, Virtually all Hilleberg tents are a "fortress". Some like the AKTO are only good for summer as they can't handle a snow load well. The similar Tarptent Moment DW with its optional Crossing Pole will handle snow load and high winds very well IF you use the guy points and fly hem stake loops.

Don't buy a Kuiu

Don't buy a Kuiu

I have that tent and it seems well made to me. I haven't used it in a snow storm yet but in the rain I stayed dry. Hopefully I don't experience the same thing. I have a lot of KUIU gear because I live about 20 miles to the shop here in Northern CA.

I have had the Kuiu Mountain Star two person tent since November 2015. I've used it hunting, backpacking, and even just car camping. Durable, well designed, keeps you dry, and has the specific features OP is looking for. Would not hesitate to recommend it or any of their other tents.

So there is the difference - mine did. If it hadn't, it would be awesome, same true if Kuiu would warranty their **** but they won't.

I read your post and your other thread and see that you are on a tirade against Kuiu. My original post was not directed at yours, otherwise I would have quoted it. I have spent thousands of dollars on Kuiu products over the last 6 years or so and have never had a negative experience with the company or their gear. You may be unhappy with their response, but that doesn't mean they are a bad company or make bad products.

I read your post and your other thread and see that you are on a tirade against Kuiu. My original post was not directed at yours, otherwise I would have quoted it. I have spent thousands of dollars on Kuiu products over the last 6 years or so and have never had a negative experience with the company or their gear. You may be unhappy with their response, but that doesn't mean they are a bad company or make bad produc
Same, but always a first time to get screwed.. YMMV

I am not on a tirade - just facts. Sorry, but they failed here.

I don't own ay KUIU gear but from the CLOSE study I have made of the clothing and gear and from conversations with KUIU customer service I strongly feel they have about the best outdoor clothing line for hunting and general winter camping. TORAY, their Japanese supplier of DWR treated insulation and waterproof breathable fabrics is outstanding and has been for decades.
As former Nordic Ski Patroller, back country ski camper and former Army ROTC winter survival instructor I do know a few things about winter clothing.
Eric B.

Providing an update on my tent/hole situation. I think it took more effort than it should have for a brand new tent fresh out of the box but Kuiu has now agreed to warranty the tent but they are backordered until November and hunt is in October.

On that note, they said go ahead and use the tent (after buying patches) and then we can swap them out when they come back in stock.

I guess that is pretty stand-up on their part. I am glad they did this because I really want to use this tent on the trail and like the rest of the gear (especially the pack) that I have from them.

Glad it worked out for you. I think they have quality gear but it ain't cheap and I would be upset if i were in your shoes too. It's a bummer you had to keep escalating the issue but again glad it worked out

Hilleberg Nallo 4 person for me. You can separate the outer from the inner for waterproof and mild weather and it is amazingly light. I have had it in 3 separate snowstorms so far this year and it has weathered them fine. Expensive as hell, but worth it.

Recent Posts