TICKS & INSECTS!!!!!!!!!

Let me first say this, this works for me and has for decades.
I've been stung or bitten by just about every insect in Texas from the time I was a kid and in my senior years today and one thing that has always helped take the sting out of any bite/sting was tobacco. I DO NOT use this for ticks though.
When I was a kid and I was bitten by something my grandpa would dab a little Bull of Woods tobacco right out of his mouth onto the bite/sting and in no time the pain and swelling were gone. Ever since then, yes I dip, and I get bit/stung (just a week ago actually) I usually have the tobacco going and I dab a little onto the bite/sting area and in no time the pain and any related swelling would go away soon, real soon.
My disclaimer: I'm not a doctor nor am I promoting the chewing/dipping of tobacco, but you could put a pouch/can in your bag, and if bitten or stung mix up a little with spit or water and dab it on and see if it works for you. Over the decades I cannot tell you how many people I have helped doing this when they were bitten/stung. If it was just me that it helped I can see someone saying it just doesn't bother you very much, but from other people I've used it on it has worked for them too. End of PSA.
All my southern US relatives have used a wad of tobacco on those bites/stings. My wife's grandmother liked plug tobacco (tough old woman) and applied it to a bite my wife got. My wife swears that it took care of the pain etc.

Sir Thank you so much for raising a GREAT SON and really Thank Your Son for his service.
Semper Fi
Ooorah!
GOD BLESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Len and Jill
Thank you sir, I will let him know.
All my southern US relatives have used a wad of tobacco on those bites/stings. My wife's grandmother liked plug tobacco (tough old woman) and applied it to a bite my wife got. My wife swears that it took care of the pain etc.
It does sir, guarantee it.

Sir Thank you so much for raising a GREAT SON and really Thank Your Son for his service.
Semper Fi
Ooorah!
GOD BLESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Len and Jill
My entire family, immediate family, is connected to public service in some manner and has for decades.
My wonderful wife has been a nurse for almost 30 years, yea she's sexy, ain't all nurses, plus it's nice when I need some attention.
My wonderful daughter has been in a victim coordinator role for almost 10 years in our County and before that the right-hand woman of the county attorney for almost a decade.
As I said my son has been a Marine for 21 years, started out a boot, of course, rose in rank pretty quickly, went to Iraq twice, and came home to be a Drill Instructor for 4+ years, then to Afghanistan, back home and worked his way up to Sgt. Major last year. (I am jealous of the toys he gets to play with btw.)
Me, I was a deputy for 18.5 years, a newly elected crappy sheriff ran us all off, a police officer for almost 5 years, and now my role is an elected Constable. I think I'll run for one more term in 2 years and if the good Lord and citizens think I deserve another shot it'll happen.

God Bless you and Jill too.

OK, on top everything, have tick in back, just got back from Doc, bloodwork and now waiting for antibiotics from local pharmacy if they ever choose to text me when its ready. I agree, the ticks are really bad this year in our area. Cutting lawn closer than normal so who knows where I picked up the hitchhiker!

OK, on top everything, have tick in back, just got back from Doc, bloodwork and now waiting for antibiotics from local pharmacy if they ever choose to text me when its ready. I agree, the ticks are really bad this year in our area. Cutting lawn closer than normal so who knows where I picked up the hitchhiker!
I hate to say anything, you know what that brings on, but so far this year they have not been much of a problem here. Normally I pluck one or two off a year and so far I don't think they've caused any problem, twitches as he types this, but not even the doggies are attracting any, kinda weird.

I have 2 in my hunting first aid pack! They work fabulous!!! I just couldn't reach it nor wife wanted to mess with it. Glad I went in to get blood work and drugs though!

I have a lot of experience with deer and dog ticks. We have cut timber on different parts of our place and that's just the sort of habitat for first stage of tick life. (cant burn the woods off anymore)

Martins 10% permethrin, one quart cost about $15 and will treat 100s of blue jeans or overalls.

Put 4 or 5 pair in the washer, put one oz in the fabric softener dispenser diluted with sufficient water and you will be rid of ticks. I have 5 pair that I treat 2 times during the season. Or you can buy jeans already treated for $100. The spray stuff works also but its very expensive.

The Sawyer stuff is a spray with 0.5% Permethrin and has worked really good. But when mowing in light shorts around woodline, who knows what drops in you to say Hi! When I work in trees and fields the Sawyers works good and never a prob. I spray my low turkey chair with it and even hunting stools to give extra protection.

Last edited: