Flea & Tick medication

Sockeye66

Curious as to what brand/type folks are using for their dogs. Was sticker shocked when the vet quoted $400 for my two dogs, hoping to find cheaper but don't want to put the dogs at risk.

Depends on whether you want a Topical or a Monthly Pill.
NEX GARD PLUS for a monthly Pill Covers: EXCELENT
Heartworm
Fleas
Ticks
Round Worm
Hookworm

Or Nueheart for Heart Worm and then a Topical in the back of the neck, last one month. Revelation
Also used a Flea/Tick Collar, but since the pups play together we don't use because the bite each other collar.
Also use Flea/Tick Shampoo every two-three weeks.
We are in the SE and can go for years and never a flea, but ticks are here always and then infested with fleas.
We also use a Cedar Spray (no toxic to animal) that kills flea eggs, Larve, and fleas.
Don't have prices because we trade with our Vet. Firearms for taking care of our cats and dogs.
Will try to post more tomorrow.

I've been using soresto collars on my Labrador for the last 5 years. They have worked well for her. They run around $70 depending on the size of the dog and last for 8 months unless you have a dog that swims a lot and then it'll last about 6 months.
If you decide to go this route be sure to purchase from a reputable outfit and not from Amazon because there have been numerous reports of Chinese knock offs being sold much cheaper and dogs have been poisoned from them.
Frontline makes a good topical that I used on my last Labrador with good results but must be applied monthly.

Advantage multi. Works for ticks, fleas heartworms and parasites. Also you apply it topically so you dont have to try and get a finicky dog to eat a pill.

I use Nexgard. My vet has an online portal with periodic deals so I got 6 months of Nexgard and 6 months of Heartgard Plus for $146. My sister is also a vet and that is what she recommended. My dog got bit by a tick that I missed back in December and it killed the tick without transmitting any diseases.

Very much appreciate the responses, seizures are a concern for us as well, we've seen a few mini seizures from our silver lab female and are considering topicals and other options. Nice to hear of actual experiences that I can trust.

I do a 3 monthly rotation between Nextgard Spectre and Simaparica Trio, 1 chew once a month, buy bulk on special.

Great results, and we live in a heavy tick area, I check the dogs every day for ticks, sometimes you find a dead one still attached, this means the treatment is doing its job.

I used fresh garlic clove, had to wrap it in turkey or something in order for my dog to eat it. The garlic would get into his blood stream and blood parasites didn't like it. I would give it to him about every 2-3 weeks. It is cheap and I have it on hand