Swarovski X5i vs SB Exos vs NF NX8 vs Zeiss V6

Mattheidel

Looking for opinions: I currently have a SB Exos 3x21 which I really want to love, but am struggling with the bulk and lack of elevation travel. I have had it on a 6.5 PRC with 22" bbl and AG Comp Alpine Hunter stock and it was too top heavy/unbalanced. Weight is also a factor, but not my primary care. I am having a custom 28 Nosler built for a "lighter" elk hunting rifle that will also get a decent amount of range time. Rifle will land in the high 6-low 7lb range with a 24" CF barrel. I would like to stay +/- 9.5lbs (or less) with optics and 11oz suppressor, but am more concerned with a balanced rifle that "carries" well. I have a Zeiss V6 that has great glass, turrets, and weight, but am not really excited about the thick reticle lines and lack of illumination. I like the glass, illuminated reticle, and weight of my Swaro Z6, but I would like a turret with numbers I can dial vs the BT. Right now my top choices are a NF NX8 in 2.5-20 or the Swaro X5i (That is currently on sale for $2200). Any experience with these scopes or other options would be appreciated. I have been a big fan of Swaro, but not sure why the X5i is discounted so heavily (33%). I am also a fan of the NF, and have a 4x32. Just looking for something less bulky. Thanks for taking the time to read my rambling!

I have a good deal of experience with the Swarovski X5i scopes. They are excellent low light performers and track well. The 3.5 x18x50 has 116moa vertical adjustment. The 5x25x56 has 82moa vertical adjustment. The dicounted ones that I saw were not illuminated. I prefer them to everything else that I tried, including Swaro Z8i, S&B Ultrabrite, and Nightforce ( NXS and ATACR). I have not tried TT or ZCO. My use is for hunting and longrange shooting.

Last edited:
I've had the NXS 5.5X22, NX8 4-32 and V6 3-18. ALL are good and you will not be disappointed with any of them. For a light weight hunting rig, it is hard to beat the V6, but as mentioned the reticle is a bit thick and non-illuminated. For bomb proof durability, it is hard to be the NXS, however heavier and longer in length than the others. So, the NX8 would be a good compromise between the three. As for as glass quality? I can't see any difference with my old eyes…and that would not be the deciding factor of choice between the three anyway. Good luck on your choice.

I've had the NXS 5.5X22, NX8 4-32 and V6 3-18. ALL are good and you will not be disappointed with any of them. For a light weight hunting rig, it is hard to beat the V6, but as mentioned the reticle is a bit thick and non-illuminated. For bomb proof durability, it is hard to be the NXS, however heavier and longer in length than the others. So, the NX8 would be a good compromise between the three. As for as glass quality? I can't see any difference with my old eyes…and that would not be the deciding factor of choice between the three anyway. Good luck on your choice.
Thanks so much for your time!

I have a good deal of experience with the Swarovski X5i scopes. They are excellent low light performers and track well. The 3.5 x18x50 has 116moa vertical adjustment. The 5x25x56 has 82moa vertical adjustment. The dicounted ones that I saw were not illuminated. I prefer them to everything else that I tried, including Swaro Z8i, S&B Ultrabrite, and Nightforce ( NXS and ATACR). I have not tried TT or ZCO. My use is for hunting and longrange shooting.
Thank you! Our uses are similar and I appreciate the input. Right now the X5i 3x18 with the 4W+I is on sale for 2199.00 which is $250 more than the NX8 2.5-20, but seems like a good price for a great scope. They are very similar in weight +/- 2oz, but the NF is 1.5" shorter. https://www.eurooptic.com/swarovski-x5i-35-18x50-4w-i-79113.aspx

Looking for opinions: I currently have a SB Exos 3x21 which I really want to love, but am struggling with the bulk and lack of elevation travel. I have had it on a 6.5 PRC with 22" bbl and AG Comp Alpine Hunter stock and it was too top heavy/unbalanced. Weight is also a factor, but not my primary care. I am having a custom 28 Nosler built for a "lighter" elk hunting rifle that will also get a decent amount of range time. Rifle will land in the high 6-low 7lb range with a 24" CF barrel. I would like to stay +/- 9.5lbs (or less) with optics and 11oz suppressor, but am more concerned with a balanced rifle that "carries" well. I have a Zeiss V6 that has great glass, turrets, and weight, but am not really excited about the thick reticle lines and lack of illumination. I like the glass, illuminated reticle, and weight of my Swaro Z6, but I would like a turret with numbers I can dial vs the BT. Right now my top choices are a NF NX8 in 2.5-20 or the Swaro X5i (That is currently on sale for $2200). Any experience with these scopes or other options would be appreciated. I have been a big fan of Swaro, but not sure why the X5i is discounted so heavily (33%). I am also a fan of the NF, and have a 4x32. Just looking for something less bulky. Thanks for taking the time to read my rambling!
You said and asked all the right things, I have several of both Swaro X5s and the NF. We all know those 2 are not apples for apples mainly because of glass but the NF will not fail the Swaro sooner or later will fail . I'm sure I'll get some grief over that but it's going to happen.
as much as I love the many X5s that have I will not carry one on those once in a life time kind of hunts truthfully I did for awhile but I packed a back up! NF you will have the travel and it's not going to fail even when you think it would and should. Your call my opinion and experience. Good luck

You said and asked all the right things, I have several of both Swaro X5s and the NF. We all know those 2 are not apples for apples mainly because of glass but the NF will not fail the Swaro sooner or later will fail . I'm sure I'll get some grief over that but it's going to happen.
as much as I love the many X5s that have I will not carry one on those once in a life time kind of hunts truthfully I did for awhile but I packed a back up! NF you will have the travel and it's not going to fail even when you think it would and should. Your call my opinion and experience. Good luck
Agree NF won't fail.

Leupold VX-6HD 3x18x44 or 50. Amazing Glass, 75" of vertical Reticle travel. 21oz. Can't beat it. Or a VX-5HD 4x20x50. But the 6 is better. I think there's also a 6HD 4x24x50. But it'll be heavier.

Recent Posts