Swarovski X5i vs SB Exos vs NF NX8 vs Zeiss V6

I have a good deal of experience with the Swarovski X5i scopes. They are excellent low light performers and track well. The 3.5 x18x50 has 116moa vertical adjustment. The 5x25x56 has 82moa vertical adjustment. The dicounted ones that I saw were not illuminated. I prefer them to everything else that I tried, including Swaro Z8i, S&B Ultrabrite, and Nightforce ( NXS and ATACR). I have not tried TT or ZCO. My use is for hunting and longrange shooting.
I have been looking at the x5i 3.5x18 which reticle? I think they offer two or three configurations.

Looking for opinions: I currently have a SB Exos 3x21 which I really want to love, but am struggling with the bulk and lack of elevation travel. I have had it on a 6.5 PRC with 22" bbl and AG Comp Alpine Hunter stock and it was too top heavy/unbalanced. Weight is also a factor, but not my primary care. I am having a custom 28 Nosler built for a "lighter" elk hunting rifle that will also get a decent amount of range time. Rifle will land in the high 6-low 7lb range with a 24" CF barrel. I would like to stay +/- 9.5lbs (or less) with optics and 11oz suppressor, but am more concerned with a balanced rifle that "carries" well. I have a Zeiss V6 that has great glass, turrets, and weight, but am not really excited about the thick reticle lines and lack of illumination. I like the glass, illuminated reticle, and weight of my Swaro Z6, but I would like a turret with numbers I can dial vs the BT. Right now my top choices are a NF NX8 in 2.5-20 or the Swaro X5i (That is currently on sale for $2200). Any experience with these scopes or other options would be appreciated. I have been a big fan of Swaro, but not sure why the X5i is discounted so heavily (33%). I am also a fan of the NF, and have a 4x32. Just looking for something less bulky. Thanks for taking the time to read my rambling!
Love my X5i 3x18x50 in every way !!! I've got SB, NF, Leupold lr Tactical, and the X5i is as good as it gets and not to heavy!!! Best light gathering of any I have ever had in my 50 plus years of long range shooting and LE !!! Not sure the reason for price cuts but jump on it.

While not Swarovski level in glass I have a Bushnell Elite LRTSi 4.5 - 18 x 44 on my 6.5 PRC Browning X-Bolt Pro for long range hunting here in Nevada.

Looking at Bushnell's current offerings I see my scope is no longer offered so I'd recommend their 3.5 - 21 x 50 DMR scope with one of their "Christmas tree" reticles. (Try it for a while and you will never have to dial again.)

But overall my choice would go to a NightForce scope that suits your needs. I think they are of Swaovski quality in build but are tougher.

Last edited:
Sold v6 to get a second X5. It's better than my NXS for clarity. I won't buy another Zeiss.
agree about Zeiss, But the NF is terribly big and heavy. The best glass but??? I would lower my sights on how much money you can spend, and just get a good, light weight , hunting scope. ?? Leupold, Upper end Bushnell, I think My next Hunting scope is going to be a Huskemaw Blue Diamond??? But Im a Cheap skate!! You dont have to have a 10,K rig to kill an elk, or anything for that matter

Last edited:
agree about Zeiss, But the NF is terribly big and heavy. The best glass but??? I would lower my sights on how much money you can spend, and just get a good, light weight , hunting scope. ?? Leupold, Upper end Bushnell, I think My next Hunting scope is going to be a Huskemaw Blue Diamond??? But Im a Cheap skate!! You dont have to have a 10,K rig to kill an elk, or anything for that matter
I have a couple of Huskemaw 5x20x50's that have given me several years of outstanding service. IMO, one of the best kept secrets in hunting scopes, and an excellent value. Light weight, glass quality and turret tracking on par with my NF NSX's, and much nicer parallax control. They have both been used heavily, and continue to perform, accounting for some of my longest game and coyote shots….furthest an antelope at 1188 yards.

K318i, K525i and K624i, are exceptional, except for the weight. Swaro's tactical line.
Correct me if I'm wrong but all Kahles scopes are ffp with 34 tubes 56 bells. Swarovski are sfp with 30mm tubes 50 bells. You don't hear much on Huskemaw at least I haven't. Any on hear can say more on the Huskies

Correct me if I'm wrong but all Kahles scopes are ffp with 34 tubes 56 bells. Swarovski are sfp with 30mm tubes 50 bells. You don't hear much on Huskemaw at least I haven't. Any on hear can say more on the Huskies
Not wanting to derail the OP by asking on the Husky my bad.

I have both the NX 8 in both 2.5 - 20 and 4-32. Both FFP and illuminated. I prefer the 2.5 - 20 for a hunting scope. My only complaint is I don't love the illumination control.

I have both the NX 8 in both 2.5 - 20 and 4-32. Both FFP and illuminated. I prefer the 2.5 - 20 for a hunting scope. My only complaint is I don't love the illumination control.
How do you like the FFP for hunting? I'm really on the fence about that. I have 1 NX8 4-32 in FFP and 1 in SFP, and for the most part I prefer the SFP. I struggle with the small reticle at lower power. I know the illumination helps, but I do a lot of stalking so I keep the magnification low most of the time because you never know when you might walk up on something close. The moa at half power (16) and full power(32) on the reticle is really nice, but that's not an option on the 2.5-20.

Recent Posts