Snowy Mountain Rifles wants your input on ideal walking varmint rifle

I know that it has become chic to shoot long heavy bullets in 22 cal rifles but I wonder what your custom 8 twist barrel will do to the light, thin-jacketed bullets that a lot of us like to use on varmints or coyote and fox hides we want to sell. I don't like exit holes.
I tried to shoot some .223s with a 50 gr. SX bullet in my M4 with a 1-8 barrel and they turned to smoke about 50 yards down range. They were only loaded to about 3000 fps so it was not the speed that melted them, it was the twist. I'm betting the other thin-jacketed bullets will do the same. Most of us that use a "walking around" varmint gun don't shoot 243 weight bullets (69-80 gr.) in our 22-250s. We shoot 45-55 gr. bullets. You can slow down the barrel twist for my part.

I had to smile at your post. It's why I attend this forum as often as I do. Just to see how other guys are getting it done. I've spent so much time hunting with guys that don't care about pelts.... :rolleyes: Most of the local coyote hunters will laugh at you for not having a fast twist. Here the wind is always blowing & the shots can be as long as you care to shoot...

As far as bullet twist & bullet blow ups go, the V-max & ballistic tips I've shot have never come apart in mid air like the light jacketed spitzers often do. I can't say that I have experimented fully but those are my findings so far. I've had 40grn Blitzkings to some pretty incredible velocities & never shredded one (albeit we are talking translational velocity vs rotational velocity). Still even in a 12" twist, +4600fps should create some decent revs :cool:

Would it not be better to stay with the fast twist? You can alway drop the bullet weight & use the V-Max or blitzking etc for keeping pelts. Then you can switch over to the heavy weights for some long range pokes. If you stick with the slow twist, you're stuck with light weight bullets.

Just a thought with a little conversation thrown in.

t

This is pretty much exactly what I was thinking as well.

Geb

I had to smile at your post. It's why I attend this forum as often as I do. Just to see how other guys are getting it done. I've spent so much time hunting with guys that don't care about pelts.... :rolleyes: Most of the local coyote hunters will laugh at you for not having a fast twist. Here the wind is always blowing & the shots can be as long as you care to shoot...

As far as bullet twist & bullet blow ups go, the V-max & ballistic tips I've shot have never come apart in mid air like the light jacketed spitzers often do. I can't say that I have experimented fully but those are my findings so far. I've had 40grn Blitzkings to some pretty incredible velocities & never shredded one (albeit we are talking translational velocity vs rotational velocity). Still even in a 12" twist, +4600fps should create some decent revs :cool:

Would it not be better to stay with the fast twist? You can alway drop the bullet weight & use the V-Max or blitzking etc for keeping pelts. Then you can switch over to the heavy weights for some long range pokes. If you stick with the slow twist, you're stuck with light weight bullets.

Just a thought with a little conversation thrown in.

t

Benchmark nice, I think there is going to be a winter match up in Jordan in a few weeks "weather permitting" would you have it done in time for that do.you think?

No it won't be done by then. We'll be attending SHOT show next week and we will be waiting on the stock and barrel still anyway.

Is there a web site for the match? I might be interested in attending but I hadn't heard about it till now. Send me a PM on the details or who to contact please.

Geb

Benchmark nice, I think there is going to be a winter match up in Jordan in a few weeks "weather permitting" would you have it done in time for that do.you think?

Sage brush flats, he will have it listed on the hide under tactical competitions. He was trying to put one together for the last weekend in Jan or the.first weekend in Feb if he can.get some more interest. you know how that.goes. I shot a team match up there in September and thought it was a good layout, a bit more interesting than Potomac anyway. I will pm you when the date is for sure.

Ideally this. Of course, I couldn't afford this, but a guy can dream...

1. Caliber/cartridge:
.243 Winchester (my hunting is mostly coyotes, maybe wolves soon)
2. Twist rate: 1:8"
3. Barrel contour: #6 -possibly fluted. PROPERLY free floated
4. Barrel length: 24 inches
5. Specific bullet to be used: 105 grain Berger VLD Hunting
6. Stock of choice: Probably Manners MCS or McMillan A5, must be glass bedded.
7. Stock color/camo pattern: Neutral, dull gray camofluage.
8. Stock options: Adjustable cheekpiece is a must, dual front swivel studs, flush-fit detachable box mag.
9. Trigger: Brand doesn't matter, it just better be crisp and light.

Remember that predator hunters don't only hunt in perfect conditions, especially here in Canada where I live. That means the gun better not only function, but shine in -40 degrees.

OVERSIZED bolt handle
OVERSIZED trigger guard

Ideally this. Of course, I couldn't afford this, but a guy can dream...

1. Caliber/cartridge:
.243 Winchester (my hunting is mostly coyotes, maybe wolves soon)
2. Twist rate: 1:8"
3. Barrel contour: #6 -possibly fluted. PROPERLY free floated
4. Barrel length: 24 inches
5. Specific bullet to be used: 105 grain Berger VLD Hunting
6. Stock of choice: Probably Manners MCS or McMillan A5, must be glass bedded.
7. Stock color/camo pattern: Neutral, dull gray camofluage.
8. Stock options: Adjustable cheekpiece is a must, dual front swivel studs, flush-fit detachable box mag.
9. Trigger: Brand doesn't matter, it just better be crisp and light.

Remember that predator hunters don't only hunt in perfect conditions, especially here in Canada where I live. That means the gun better not only function, but shine in -40 degrees.

OVERSIZED bolt handle
OVERSIZED trigger guard

As Slim Pickens said...... DITTO!! :)

I know this would make a pretty solid coyote rifle.

1. Caliber/cartridge:
.260 Remington
2. Twist rate: 1:9"
3. Barrel contour: #6
4. Barrel length: 19 inches, threaded 5/8-24 for suppressor
5. Specific bullet to be used: 123gr Sierra MK or lapua 123 scenar
6. Stock of choice: Manners T5
7. Stock color/camo pattern: coyote tan w/ black splatter
8. Stock options: non adjustable to keep weight down
9. Trigger: Timney
10. Optic: Nightforce NXS NPR-2 reticle

1. 243 Win
2. Twist rate: 1 in 13" (for Nosler 70 BTV's)

3. Barrel contour #2 (flutted would be nice)
4. Barrel length: 24"
5. Specific bullet to be used: Nosler 70 Ballistic Tip Varmint
6. Stock of choice: HS Precision Pro Series Sporter
7. Stock color/camo pattern: Grassland Camo
8. Stock options (adj. LOP or cheek, sling studs, etc.) two forward sling studs
9. Trigger: Shilen Varmint Special

+1 on that threaded barrel, farmer103.

I can't own a can here, but that doesn't mean I won't move somewhere I can eventually. A side-discharge brake would also be nice for spotting those long shots.

Anything in a .204works well for dogs. I have a ruger m77,can pack it all day.
The 40 gr. v-max @4000 f.p.s will put a hurtin on critters.

Something I forgot to ask, how many degrees is the bolt throw and how far back does it come on the action you propose using?

I'm thinking in terms of a more rapid follow up without having to go to an AR. I like the three lug short actions specifically for that reason. A more ergonomic bolt handle would be needed though.

Something I forgot to ask, how many degrees is the bolt throw and how far back does it come on the action you propose using?

I'm thinking in terms of a more rapid follow up without having to go to an AR. I like the three lug short actions specifically for that reason. A more ergonomic bolt handle would be needed though.

Our actions are basically a Rem 700 SA clone, so it is a two lug design and bolt travel is the same. We do put on a larger bolt knob though.

Geb

I just wanted to give an update. All of the parts are on order so we are playing the waiting game now. ESTIMATED price for this complete build is around $2600ish.

Geb

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.