Your 'yote rifle and...

Rifleman97, Sounds like a good plan with the .30-'06 Will the LR penetrate well with something dangerous? (JUst thought it was quite soft as designed to open in relatively soft game).

I do like the flexibility of a .223 and a 12b. The flexibility of loads with bird shot (something like English Number 4/5 works for hares, rabbits and holds enough pattern for pheasants, ducks and pigeons), buck shot (My choice is No. 4 buck or maybe T shot) and slug - maybe something like a Brenneke 3" black magic will deal with anything that walks short of elephant and charging cape buff

I went black bear hunting a couple years ago and used 30-06 and it did excellent. Never hunted grizzly but the LR accubonds expand quite well at 2300-2600 FPS without falling apart, which is about how fast the 30-06 pushes them. I'd feel confident in it with a grizzly, even if a 12 gauge slug would do better, I find it quite a pain to walk a long ways carrying two long guns, carrying one 9 pound rifle that will kill about anything ethically that doesn't fly is a pretty nice trade off for me.

I went black bear hunting a couple years ago and used 30-06 and it did excellent. Never hunted grizzly but the LR accubonds expand quite well at 2300-2600 FPS without falling apart, which is about how fast the 30-06 pushes them. I'd feel confident in it with a grizzly, even if a 12 gauge slug would do better, I find it quite a pain to walk a long ways carrying two long guns, carrying one 9 pound rifle that will kill about anything ethically that doesn't fly is a pretty nice trade off for me.

Sounds fair enough to me!

I used to carry a pistol always but this year that changed. I also used to use my 223 for coyote hunting in areas with blackies and cats. That was until we called in a wolf at longer range. I will not be yote hunting with a 223 anymore.. No more missed chances! This year it's a 270win or 300rum and thats it. I don't like carrying a sidearm simply because of the bulk and it bumping into my rifle, and in reality, you wont have time to draw on an oh **** moment. see avatar for explanation. Sidearm never got drawn, just swung the big gun around and fired. That happened in October during Elk season.

I used to carry a pistol always but this year that changed. I also used to use my 223 for coyote hunting in areas with blackies and cats. That was until we called in a wolf at longer range. I will not be yote hunting with a 223 anymore.. No more missed chances! This year it's a 270win or 300rum and thats it. I don't like carrying a sidearm simply because of the bulk and it bumping into my rifle, and in reality, you wont have time to draw on an oh ---- moment. see avatar for explanation. Sidearm never got drawn, just swung the big gun around and fired. That happened in October during Elk season.

Blimey Jbur! That's quite the thing to have to deal with!

As another point, I'm having a 7x64 "Beanfield" rifle built. Thinking of the 150gr LRAB. Any thoughts on how it would do at 280Rem velocities?

As another point, I'm having a 7x64 "Beanfield" rifle built. Thinking of the 150gr LRAB. Any thoughts on how it would do at 280Rem velocities?
I don't think you'd see any issues at all. Should push it fast enough but I don't think it'll push it fast enough to have issues with it falling apart, you'd need a 28 Nosler or similar for that.

Hi folks,

Imagine the situation:

You are going out calling for foxes / coyotes, sitting on the ground. You are also in country with bears, bobcats and mountain lions might be encountered.

Main rifle is your trusty .223 Rem, .22-250Rem or .243W loaded with your chosen varmint bullet

1. A high powered handgun such as a 10mm or a .44mag revolver to keep on your person?
  2. Do you take a 12g shotgun with something like buckshot in the tube for close in / running foxes and yotes with some slug handy if something large shows up?
  3. A large bore rifle (Guide gun in .45-70 or maybe a chunky bolt action like a .338WM or .375H&H)
  4. Don't worry about the risk, take a .22lr with subs for sneaky popping of other small varmints
  5. You don't worry about it at all and just have your 'yote rifle with you

Personally, I would probably go with something like option 2 and 12g especially if hunting with a buddy

Let me hear your thoughts

Scrummy

I usually carry a 44 mag Super Redhawk, with my Savage Model 10, rifle (308), that hunt predators with, or my 270.. I use 168 gr SST's for it... Also I can shoot left or right handed with both guns...I have developed a lot of skills over my 73 years here.

lots of bears have been killed with side arms, you might not have time to draw, you might have time to draw.
I keep a 10mm on my side, lots of opinions on that, but I feel better with it. Heck, I'm the kind of guy that keeps a fire extinguisher on my boat, probably won't ever need it, but if you do, you'll wish you had it. To each their own.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.