Your 'yote rifle and...

Hmmm... last summer I got a RUGER 57 pistol (5.7 x 28 centerfire cartridge) and I wonder if it would be good in a shoulder holster for sudden close in shots on coyotes. It shoots a 40 gr. Hornady A-Max close to 2,000 fps.
That should do the job If my aim is on. It has a HOLOSUN 509T circle/dot sight that's good for fast sighting.
Eric B.

I got a Walthers PPQ - M2-45, but its nice to have a shotgun for the close in ones,,,Its difficult at night for a pistol. I never even think about using the pistol on one unless, I'm walking my dog....I concentrate on my rifle when i'm calling coyotes..i have the decoy and caller 100 yds or less from me.. So, thats where they are headed towards, and thats where i smoke them, I use a DPMS 308,, w/110 gr Vmax with NV scope and a Sniper Hog IR...My other rifle is a Savage 308 Model 10,,,and have it set up with the 66 Sniper Hog light..with 168 gr SST when i have a lot of hogs in the area, I will use it instead of the DPMS, for coyotes too. Its al
20160916_142609.jpg
ways good to have a pistol for a backup though.

Attachments

• 20200821_224453.jpg
    20200821_224453.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 86
I normally carry my Varmint rifle and a handgun of some sort. Lately it's a long slide Glock 10mm with hand loaded 200gr cast bullets or 200gr XTP.
I carry it in a Kenai Gunfighters INC. chest holster so it doesn't interfere with my hip belt on my day pack or any pack for that matter.

Hi folks,

Imagine the situation:

You are going out calling for foxes / coyotes, sitting on the ground. You are also in country with bears, bobcats and mountain lions might be encountered.

Main rifle is your trusty .223 Rem, .22-250Rem or .243W loaded with your chosen varmint bullet

1. A high powered handgun such as a 10mm or a .44mag revolver to keep on your person?
  2. Do you take a 12g shotgun with something like buckshot in the tube for close in / running foxes and yotes with some slug handy if something large shows up?
  3. A large bore rifle (Guide gun in .45-70 or maybe a chunky bolt action like a .338WM or .375H&H)
  4. Don't worry about the risk, take a .22lr with subs for sneaky popping of other small varmints
  5. You don't worry about it at all and just have your 'yote rifle with you

Personally, I would probably go with something like option 2 and 12g especially if hunting with a buddy

Let me hear your thoughts

Scrummy
223 WYLDE, 45 auto w/230 grain flying ashtrays, and a model 60 win 12 gauge auto/full choke. I switch between the AR and 12 gauge

I might carry my RUGER 57 pistol W/ its HOLOSUN 509 T circle dot sight. It uses 5.7 x 28 cartridges 40 grain .22 caliber Hornady blue tip bullets and 40 gr. Federal AE FMJ bullets. With a 5" barrel it will easily be deadly at 100 yards and so a close-in 25 yard shot would be humane.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts