Let’s see your coyote rifle!

Pretty simple- mirage is real and a cover will help keep it down. It only take a few shots for my suppressor to heat up quite a bit. Between shots strings at the range, I slide the cover off to allow it to cool.

I'm a creature of habit and tend to keep my cover on, regardless if hunting or target shooting. I just happened to take it off for the picture with the buck.

Here's mine:

Bighorn TL3 22-250 AI
X-Caliber 1:8 twist 22" medium palma
Manners PRS2 in Altus Sage Flats with mini-chassis
Triggertech Special flat blade
Vortex PST II 5-25x

Shooting extremely well with the 88 gr ELDM and RL-23 at 3150 fps. Shooting suppressed is a dream, so easy to spot my shots in the scope.

Smoked my first coyote at 600 with it over the weekend in Wyoming. Turns out mule deer don't like the combo either.

View attachment 307095
View attachment 307097View attachment 307096
What was the range on the mule deer?

Look at the two pictures and tell me a coyote wouldn't pick up on the shine coming off that suppressor. Coyotes are very smart and anything that stands out could cost you a yote. Also heat mirage in your scope is a thing.
Really -what about the rest of your set????? Do you not cover??? I'll stop here.
your are right with what you hunt with.
Sorry, just looking for more opinions,
Should not brought this up. All my suppressors have a DULL MATTE finish. Some people may order High Gloss finish that I was not aware of. Also -yes don't want to scratch it along with my rifle. I also have a cover for my rifle. Ge Wiz what if I have a MALFUNCTION- Yes I can take it off without burning my hands after shooting 50 rounds and getting the suppressor hot.
Thanks for educating me.
Was looking for someone to le me know why they put a cover on their suppressor.
NOW I have to put this post on the IGNORE List as well as you.
Thank You Very Much!!

Also, if you load develop with the cover on, it is probably heavy enough to make a difference in barrel harmonics of the load, poi change etc. On top of that mirage, protect the suppressor and to make sure a yote don't see it glare. They will see glare, a non-coated SS barrel could spook them very very quickly, same difference if the suppressor glares.

Hope that helps

Really -what about the rest of your set????? Do you not cover??? I'll stop here.
your are right with what you hunt with.
Sorry, just looking for more opinions,
Should not brought this up. All my suppressors have a DULL MATTE finish. Some people may order High Gloss finish that I was not aware of. Also -yes don't want to scratch it along with my rifle. I also have a cover for my rifle. Ge Wiz what if I have a MALFUNCTION- Yes I can take it off without burning my hands after shooting 50 rounds and getting the suppressor hot.
Thanks for educating me.
Was looking for someone to let me know why they put a cover on their suppressor.
NOW I have to put this post on the IGNORE List as well as you.
Thank You Very Much!!
I believe we have answered these questions to why WE use covers. Not trying convince anyone why the should use one. If you don't feel it's necessary then you probably would not need one.

Couple of mine , SOARC 223 WSSM, 308 dpms repr

Attachments

• 20210822_000045.jpg
    20210822_000045.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 65
  • 20210903_235545.jpg
    20210903_235545.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 70
New build in process. Savage 110 action with 2 different .22-250 barrels because of a "learning experience". The heavy barrel was bought advertised as "custom 22-250 but no manufacturer info on the barrel - should fit the savage small shank" and so far, not looking like that (savage small shank) is true (but that's part of the learning experience for me so not frustrated … yet!)
The thin barrel is a new Axis takeoff in 22-250 - again bought as part of the learning process. Will get there one of these days.

Attachments

• 0D89124C-C366-49C9-9FB9-0DED7AC7F207.jpeg
    0D89124C-C366-49C9-9FB9-0DED7AC7F207.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 87
New build in process. Savage 110 action with 2 different .22-250 barrels because of a "learning experience". The heavy barrel was bought advertised as "custom 22-250 but no manufacturer info on the barrel - should fit the savage small shank" and so far, not looking like that (savage small shank) is true (but that's part of the learning experience for me so not frustrated … yet!)
The thin barrel is a new Axis takeoff in 22-250 - again bought as part of the learning process. Will get there one of these days.
If you want reasonably savage barrel I would check out Northland shooters supply. He sells criterion and savage prefit barrels. These barrels shoot good. I have two criterion's one 22-250, one 7mag. Both shoot very well. Don't forget to get the upgraded recoil lug and barrel nut. This picture is during Load development with my 22-250. I was cleaning the barrel between each group too. The last group bottom right was a satterlee ladder method.

Attachments

• 05FD2203-A7EB-4F92-A2D4-8F2CEDFADA4D.jpeg
    05FD2203-A7EB-4F92-A2D4-8F2CEDFADA4D.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 94
I second Northland Shooters Supply, great folks to deal with. In the spring I put together a LH Savage mdl 11 with a 1-12 twist, 24" Shilen SS Select match varmint contour to coyote/groundhog hunt with. I couldn't be happier.

IMG_45141.jpg

re: Northland Shooting Supply - I'll check back there for barrels. I got the precision nut and recoil lug as well as the barrel vise and wrench from them. This is another example of "there's no such thing as a free kitten" :) as the cheap parts are going to cost more in total than a factory build. But again, it's a learning experience for me at this point still.

Recent Posts