Should I get a long range shooting or hunting gun or try to balance between the two?

That's kinda my point. 4 pages of assumptions, over a pretty vague question.
1704897409783.png

Yup it is vague so that's why I said so when I first commented on your post. If he was looking for a cheap trainer then I'd also suggest a .223 fast twist rifle. A cheaper trainer then the 6.5 CM or other variant is good too. But he specifically said a dual purpose target/ hunting rifle. His original post he wondered about a 7 PRC. Which is why i mentioned my set up. It's what I use for LR practice and LR hunting.

The reality is once you get bitten by the LR shooting bug it's hard not to get additional rifles. My first LR rifle was my Remington 700 PSS in 308 Win my family purchased for me back in 1991, a gift after returning from the military. I'm sure I have well over 10k rounds through that and has served me well, still does. I built a 260 AI and that serves as a replacement for the 308 Win, but it's a bit heavy. Now I have the 7mm RM and it's a great addition. But the rifle I had ordered before the 7mm RM was a new Remarms 700 ADL .223 Rem 1-8" twist. My AR15's serve as my mid range coyote rifles, but I still wish I had a bolt action .223 or 22-250. It's hard to have just one LR rifle.

I'm new to this long range shooting world though I have plinked with guns out to 800 yards for years, but with no mathematical precision. I have hunted my whole life and as I am considering purchasing a gun in 7mm PRC for shooting long range. I cannot seem to get over the hump of purchasing a gun exclusively for long range shooting without being able to use it for hunting. Am I crazy to try and find a balance between the two?
Sorry to be vague gentlemen. I hunt deer, elk, etc. here in Wyoming. I very likely would not shoot a live animal more than 500 yards out because there are just to many variables for me to feel I am being ethical in that shot. Unless were talking about varmints of course. That said I am wanting to start hobby shooting at 1000+ yards. Why? Because the country around here is great for it and it will help the kids and I to be even better shots in the big game hunts. I do not intent to compete or anything of that sort.

Sorry to be vague gentlemen. I hunt deer, elk, etc. here in Wyoming. I very likely would not shoot a live animal more than 500 yards out because there are just to many variables for me to feel I am being ethical in that shot. Unless were talking about varmints of course. That said I am wanting to start hobby shooting at 1000+ yards. Why? Because the country around here is great for it and it will help the kids and I to be even better shots in the big game hunts. I do not intent to compete or anything of that sort.
Then depending on the twist rate of your 280 rem or even your 270 Win you could shoot out to 1k yards with either rifle. It would be best if you handload.

For all the reasons @xsn10s mentions, you would be better off with 2 rifles. Especially for shooting with the family.
6.5 Creedmoor for LR practice and fun and ammo that won't break the bank or toast the barrel
7PRC for the money shots.

I'd say get a 6.5cm, and a case of 147 ELD-match. That'll cover everything you want to do. If you don't think it'll kill an elk at 500, grab your 270 or 280

I'm new to this long range shooting world though I have plinked with guns out to 800 yards for years, but with no mathematical precision. I have hunted my whole life and as I am considering purchasing a gun in 7mm PRC for shooting long range. I cannot seem to get over the hump of purchasing a gun exclusively for long range shooting without being able to use it for hunting. Am I crazy to try and find a balance between the two?
My first long range gun was not built specifically to hunt...but after getting it...I loved it so much, I used it for that purpose anyway.
I built a custom 7mm Rem Mag Match on a Win M70 CRF. Manners T5A, 23" Rock Creek pipe, sending 180 Berger Hybrids at 3100fps, Nightforce, suppressed, yada yada yada.
Still love the gun, will never sell, but I probably havent shot it in 5 or 6 years. Especially since I'm on the wrong side of 40. Darn thing weighs 22lbs unloaded and with a can...it's WAY to long for hunting. It's a dream to shoot, but a b!tch to carry. That said...I carried it and took some nice critters with it when I was a little younger.

I've since added about 5 more custom match rifles that are all as accurate or more...and as heavy or more...but I've also added a few custom hunting rifles that are nearly 1/3rd the weight.

I'll use a reference my late aunt gave about buying houses.
"You really won't know what you want till you're on about your 3rd house"

She pretty much hit that right on the head.
There's no perfect rifle for every application. You can get close, but I'd start with one or the other and decide from there what you may want different down the road.

IMAG0738.jpg
LRM_EXPORT_20170903_115530.jpg
FB_IMG_1514600922121.jpg

You'd mentioned you had went with a friend bangin' steel at 800+, if you able to do that with his stuff easily then what was the difference between his equipment and yours, your comparable in cartridges, isolate the differences and upgrade yours, get the best glass you can afford and acquire some consistent performing ammunition and shoot as much as possible, good range finder, bi-pod and learn as you go, like c-bass16 said, about the 3rd rifle you put together it'll come to you, just so happens you have 3 smoke poles 🙂 by buying good glass you can transfer that later if you upgrade your rifles later, sounds like you've got a good background hunting so I'd imagine you know what you're comfortable packing, if moneys not a issue than he!! Yes you should buy another rifle. But The rifles you have will certainly do to 1000

One odd myth I like to dismiss as often as I can. Your LR hunting rifle needs to be very accurate. You'll get some folks that think hunting shots, since they take place in less than ideal conditions don't require the same accuracy that match shooters strive for. The opposite is true - cumulative error isn't on your side, so if you're shooting up to 1k try for a 1/2 moa group. If that means hunting with a rifle that's rather heavy and doesn't look like a hunting rifle so be it.

Hikinghunter, A very good post, though it left me with a question…..could you define, not to the ounce, rather heavy!

I assume, likely a bad thing, that as a Hikinghunter…….what is rather heavy? memtb

Hikinghunter, A very good post, though it left me with a question…..could you define, not to the ounce, rather heavy!

I assume, likely a bad thing, that as a Hikinghunter…….what is rather heavy? memtb
I'd say most people would call a heavy hunting rifle 10-15 lbs. if you can find a 6lb setup that you can shoot, awesome. I haven't found one in the bigger caliber stuff, though.

Weight is less of an issue for me because I like hiking in at 1am and glassing from vantage points at sunrise. 12 lbs isn't bad if it's strapped on a pack, balanced and aligned with your center of gravity. Probably less fun if you're carrying on a sling or in hand.

Recent Posts