Should I get a long range shooting or hunting gun or try to balance between the two?

ibjsb

I'm new to this long range shooting world though I have plinked with guns out to 800 yards for years, but with no mathematical precision. I have hunted my whole life and as I am considering purchasing a gun in 7mm PRC for shooting long range. I cannot seem to get over the hump of purchasing a gun exclusively for long range shooting without being able to use it for hunting. Am I crazy to try and find a balance between the two?

Are you crazy, no. I got a rifle to start hunting at long range, then I got some to shoot long range, then a few more to hunt at long range...it's a vicious cycle. If you build a quality rifle for hunting, you will be able to shoot it much further than you would likely attempt a hunting shot with it. I shoot long range with most of my rifles but usually only shoot one round on the hunts I am on. You can find a balance but your first rifle may not be your last.

Are you crazy, no. I got a rifle to start hunting at long range, then I got some to shoot long range, then a few more to hunt at long range...it's a vicious cycle. If you build a quality rifle for hunting, you will be able to shoot it much further than you would likely attempt a hunting shot with it. I shoot long range with most of my rifles but usually only shoot one round on the hunts I am on. You can find a balance but your first rifle may not be your last.
That seems to be the case with every hobby, doesn't it!?

You've received some very good responses.

It's purely subjective - your needs, your wants, your capabilities …. and your financials.

Most of us have differing ideas of what long range hunting is.

For myself, carrying my rifle and all of my gear on my person and putting several miles per day hunting (well I once did)…..I want my rifle to be 9 pounds or under, all up (scoped, loaded, slung). It would not be the best for the long range that I and some others consider long range……1000 yards and beyond.

There are some that don't blink an eye at a 15 pound rifle, plus bi or tri pod, ranging equipment, spotting scopes, ect…..but, I dare say that most of those do not carry that daily for several miles/day on their person. Though with those rigs, they are capable of shots that I can't even imagine taking!

Personally speaking, I want a cartridge that produces much more horse power than many want to use in their lighter weight long range rifles.

If you're like me, refusing to hunt with a muzzle brake or a muffler which makes the rifle barrel look like and as handy as carrying a pole vaulter's pole….that extra horse power comes at a price of increased felt recoil.

This is where the subjective part comes in. You and only you can determine what your definition of long range is and how you will hunt it!

Summary: You may end up with 2 rifles to cover most of your wants….and if you keep your long range shots "short" 🤔, you can get by with one rifle to meet your needs! 😉

For myself, it's a balance of power, portability, and limited somewhat limited range! memtb

Last edited:
280 or 270 fits the bill to 800 yards no problem but hey money is for spending! And if your gonna shoot factory ammo 7mm rem mag might be better do to availability and if you hand load and have a good smith willing to do this he could take the 280 bbl and ream it out to a 280ai

I went out with a friend last week and had a ball shooting and hitting at 800 and almost 1000 yards with his 6.5 284
That's my favorite caliber!
72152041905__F58F5F2C-3DC3-444C-B6A3-4A43B1E33EA6.jpeg