Help, I want to get into long range hunting but don't know anything!!

hillajam

Help, I want to get into long range hunting but don\'t know anything!!

Hi, My name is James
A little background:
I've been deer hunting in the Michigan woods for 15 years. I've allways wanted to be very good shot and think I'm pretty good at 100 yds. (Most shots in MI aren't more than that anyway, more like 75 yds and closer). I've recently caught a couple shows on tv about long range hunting, and I loved them. Now I don't really need to shoot an animal @ 1000 yds but I would realistically like to be able to shoot up to maybe 600 yds. I might shoot longer if I really get into this and start shooting competatively or something. I would need a gun that could take down a whitetail up to a Moose or grizzly I really want to go out west.

I need to know where to start.

I have a rifle but I don't know if it would be capable of the accuracy that I want. I'm not against having it worked on to get it there (my rifle is listed at the bottom of the page). I'm not a millionaire so I don't want to spend a ton of money on it, but I want to see what can be done and how much it will cost. I would also like to hear about some really good books or movies I can buy that tell how to be a better shooter and also what I need as far as rifles, gun smithing, loads, scopes, rest's, rangefinders etc. I want to learn as much as I can. I have also just started looking at scopes, I like bushnell's and was looking at the elite 4200, would that be a good choice? Plus what do I want to look for in a scope? Also I hear if you want to shoot very accurately you need to load your own rounds. How do I get into this or should I concentrate on the gun and scope first? Well If you guy's think of any questions I didn't ask please tell me what you think I need to know,
Oh yeah my rifle is a Remington modle 700 ADL 300 win mag synthetic stock and matte finish barrel. If this gun isn't worth the work I have to put into it then I was also thinking about getting an old military gun that I could turn into a long range hunting machine. What kind of guns would be good candidates that you guys would recommend so I can narrow down my search? Well I think I've asked too many questions so I'll stop now. Looking forward to hearing from you all.
Thanks,
James
Lapeer, MI.

Re: Help, I want to get into long range hunting but don\'t know anything!!

First of all, welcome aboard James. That's how you learn...read a-lot and ask questions.

In my opinion you need a couple or three things more then you have to see if in fact this game is what you want to play.

You have a rifle, so get a Chronogragh, a good range finder, I use the Swaro. A ballistics program like Ex-bal to figure your load dope, and a most excellent scope like a N/F, I use the 3.5x15x50 NPR2. It would have a ton of crank for bullet drop. Shoot some factory ammo and plot it with the program.

There is a video called Shooting beyond belief that I really enjoyed that was pretty entertaining, it touched on a few things to do to your factory rifle and a light over view that goes into playing this game, but so so much more goes into this then was portrayed. But it was fun to watch anyhow.

That's about the cheapest way out to see if you want to play as you can dump thousands into it.

Tim

I know its hard to cough up the money on a Night Force but they truly are the way to go in my opinion. So I would get the 5.5-22 NXS. Now, I would have the trigger tuned on the rifle. If it hasn't had to many bullets down the barrel, have you're rifle glass bedded. I would also start reloading but shooting premium grade factory ammo will most of the time work. Sorry but 100yrds proves jack in this game. I used to think .1-.2 inch groups @100 was the way to find a load but soon found out that this proved jack. sight in at 100 then bring out to 2-300yrds and play with different ammo they're for groups. I will give you the heads up now. This getts verry addictating. be prpared to have this take alot of stuffing out of you're wallet. Also get a good Chrono. Mine crapped on me so Ill have to look into a new one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif This should get you started. Just my opinion. hope this helped.

Hi James,
Better get out while you can. I'll take a stab at answering a few of your questions.

I'll start with the rifle. You can make your rifle do what you need it to. It may already. My first long range rifle is a winchester 70 in 270. I put a Boyds thumbhole stock on it because I wanted one. The cost was $79. The stock needed to be fit and finished. I did this myself. Only cost was for a can of Uerethane. Next, I bedded the action. I did this myself. Cost is $20 or so. I used Brownells acraglass gel. Next, I adjusted the trigger. Total cost for gunsmithing, about $100. What you need is a rifle that'll shoot .5" or smaller groups at 100 yards. What it takes to get your particular rifle there will be unique to the rifle.

My next challenge was a scope that would track (dial up and down, left and right) properly. The Bushnell 4200's are reputed to track well. I use Nikon monarchs and buckmasters. Sightron p2 and 3's, Weaver grand slams, Burris signatures, and Leupold vx3's are some of the scopes which are reputed to work well. Power range is a personal preference. 2.5-10, 4.5-14, and 5-20ish are the most popular. Mil dot reticles are great tools, you may want to check them out.

You'll need a rangefinder. Bushnell 1500 is probably chaeapest, and is not bad. Newcon 2000's are supposed to be a remarkable tool for the money. Leica 1200's are probably the most popular, and surprisingly affordable. Nikon 1200's are also popular. And the only one I'd say to avoid is the Leupold rx's.

There is match grade ammo available for the 300 win mag. You may find some that'll suit your needs. I'd highly reccomend getting into reloading. It is surprisingly affordable to get started, and you'll shoot much more. I started with a kit. RCBS Rockchucker supreme master reloading kit. I've heard the Lee anniversary kit is also a good one. I doubt you'll shoot much long range without reloading, but you can certainly try it with some of the factory match ammo first.

There are some ballistic programs under the bullets barrels and ballistics section. You can look up the bc of whatever bullet you shoot on the manufacturers web sight. When I started, I used published muzzle velocities. These will get you drop charts, and at least a place to start. However, eventually you'll want a chronograph.

I'm falling asleep, so I'll stop now. Good luck. You can also run a search for just about any topic or piece of equiptment you can think of, and find good advice.

sorry guys these questions will show how new I really am

Thanks for the input where can I get the ex-bal program?
What is match grade ammo?
What is having your trigger turned? (is that lightening the trigger pull?)
Thanks again guy, this is very helpfull so far. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I guess the first question is how good does you gun shoot now?

A 300 Win mag is good for everything except the grizzley so let us just leave him in peace because you will not be shooting any out West.

The only thing I would change from what Grit said is I would be Ok with a gun that would shoot 1MOA everytime, all the time as long as I wasn't going to shoot over 600 yards with it. Start out cheap and see if you enjoy the sport. Get some practice and some skills. Do the things to your current gun he suggests and if you goof things up, well you were going to get a new one anyway.

Maybe one other thing is if your gun is not shooting so great you should look and see if the crown is dinged and get it touched up.

Getting the trigger tuned is not only weight but is also creep and slack. I like slack.

what I meant by match grade ammo is ammo like black hills or something else that is held to tight tolerances. trigger tuned would be lightening and taking out creep etc. I absolutely hate creep but that is something you will have to decide on whether you like or not. I like a 2lb. trigger on my hunting rifle with all creep and slack to a minimum. I dont know on the exball program though. I will probably get one some day though.

[ QUOTE ]
The only thing I would change from what Grit said is I would be Ok with a gun that would shoot 1MOA everytime, all the time as long as I wasn't going to shoot over 600 yards with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really know what that means, 1MOA remember I'm as new as they come. But thanks for your info.

Thanks screech,
Now another question. What is creep and slack?
Sorry but I love learning these things.
Thanks James

Hillajam, you can always use the search function and look up the terms you don't fully understand yet. 1 MOA for the purposes of this discussion is basically 1" per 100 yards. As in, if your rifle can shoot 6" at 600 yards, it is still shooting MOA "Minute of Angle".
Minute of angle really is minutes of angle. A circle is 360 degrees, each degree is made up of 60 minutes. According to my math then, 1 minute of angle (MOA) is 1/21600 of a circle. When you extrapolate that small angle at distance, it conveniently comes out to around 1.047" at 300 feet (100 yards). For your purposes right this moment, this paragraph is unnecessary. Remember 1" per 100 yards (ie 2" at 200, 3" at 300....etc) and you're good for now.

Also... I am in Big Rapids, Michigan... ifn you're ever over this way there's some state land that offers 700 yard shooting with a good backstop if you're looking to send some downrange with a friend. I could give you a reloading/component crash course to the best of my ability too... keep it in mind. My email is juniorwrangler @ hotmail.com (without the spaces).
You came to the right place with your questions, these guys have taught me everything I didn't make up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

-Mike

(edited because my spelling is stoopid)

Wow, thanks a ton. I'm allready learning soo much from you guys, I think I'm actually comprehending what you are saying. Thanks I'll try the search.
James

Re: Help, I want to get into long range hunting but don\'t know anythin

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks screech,
Now another question. What is creep and slack?
Sorry but I love learning these things.
Thanks James

[/ QUOTE ]

James,

I grew up in Colorado and hunted out west a LOT.

I've been reloading for 30 years and have access to a 200yd range near Lapeer.

I'd love to help you out.

Drop me an email, I live near you and we could meet for a cup of coffee and talk hunting / shooting for a bit.

Don

The way I understand it is creep is any kind of imperfections in you're trigger pull. you pull and feel it jump or come back in stages. slack is if you're trigger moves wile pulling it back until it hits the set weight were it goes off. I might not be 100 percent right and if I am not someone correct me as for me to learn and for hillajam not to get set off on the wrong foot.

I'd take AJ up on his offer, always easier to learn from experience.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.