Should I get a long range shooting or hunting gun or try to balance between the two?

So we've covered everything from 6 dasher to 300rum. Hope that narrows it down for the OP!

Lots of suggestions, and we still don't know hardly anything about the intended use.
Aaaa Okay only made it to 300RUM.
Well how about the 30-378Weatherbee.
This is still being used in LR Competition
And I have one and Love it.
I guess you can load 150gr in it for Whitetail, 180gr for Mule Deer, and my favorite the 230Hybrid for Elk, Grizz, Moose. Take a look at a 30-378 for hunting and long range shooting. 👍🤓

I don't know you, but I think I get what you want. You want to be able to take game at 600+ yards and shoot as far as you can in PRS, steel, other range stuff.

If you are still developing your long range skill, a reasonably sized 270 Win, 280 AI, 7 SAUM, 7 PRC, 300 PRC can do both.

First, how heavy are you willing to hunt? What is the largest game animal planned?

So we've covered everything from 6 dasher to 300rum. Hope that narrows it down for the OP!

Lots of suggestions, and we still don't know hardly anything about the intended use.
From what I've seen he wants a rifle that he can carry and still shoot out to 1000 yards. That's still somewhat vague. My Remington 700 ADL 7mm RM fits the bill. Stick it in a decent stock, get a good scope, download a ballistics app, buy a rangefinder and you're done

From what I've seen he wants a rifle that he can carry and still shoot out to 1000 yards. That's still somewhat vague. My Remington 700 ADL 7mm RM fits the bill. Stick it in a decent stock, get a good scope, download a ballistics app, buy a rangefinder and you're done
Is that something you would take to the range and shoot 2-3 boxes through in one setting? Something someone could shoot a lot starting out and not develop a flinch? Or even afford to shoot a lot? How often do we think he's really going to be shooting 1,000yds, vs 300-600?

Yes, your 7rm certainly would work, but so would any rifle really. Is it the best? Maybe.

IMO this is right in the 6.5cm wheel house. Easily reaches 1k+ for fun, performs well on game at distances most should be hunting out to (500yds or so), cheap, low recoil. As long as the OP doesn't suffer from CDS 😂

Is that something you would take to the range and shoot 2-3 boxes through in one setting? Something someone could shoot a lot starting out and not develop a flinch? Or even afford to shoot a lot? How often do we think he's really going to be shooting 1,000yds, vs 300-600?

Yes, your 7rm certainly would work, but so would any rifle really. Is it the best? Maybe.

IMO this is right in the 6.5cm wheel house. Easily reaches 1k+ for fun, performs well on game at distances most should be hunting out to (500yds or so), cheap, low recoil. As long as the OP doesn't suffer from CDS 😂
I agree. This has 6.5 creed/260 written all over it

I've done more than a few range days with 150+ rounds shot from a 9pound creed lr/hunting rifle.

I think we radically over cartridge new lr shooters

Last edited:

When I go to the range I don't take just one firearm. Typically I'll rotate 2-3 rifles and a handgun. I reload so the costs are cut down and will shoot a box or less of 7mm RM, 260 AI, 308 Win, or 5.56. I'm at the stage where quantity isn't necessarily beneficial, quality is. I only use the range for load development or when I have to because of hunting seasons. The range limits me to 800 yards max, 1230 yards when no one else is there. BLM lands where I prefer to shoot I'll shoot out to a mile at various ranges.

If you're asking if my shoulder can handle the recoil of 2-3 boxes then yes that's not an issue. I dedicate that rifle for 600 yards and beyond so once I figure out the load and how well the rifle preforms at distance it won't get shot much. I'll preserve the rifle/ ammo only for actual LR yotes, deer, and elk.

I've done more than a few range days with 150+ rounds shot from a 9pound creed lr/hunting rifle.

The op chose 7mm PRC as one of the topic rifles. Not me. My rifle is slated for LR elk so I chose 7mm RM as a min.

I almost added "in a 8-10lbs rifle."
Actually I think even .223 would be a better fit than the magnums that are being recommended.

If you're asking if my shoulder can handle the recoil of 2-3 boxes then yes that's not an issue. I dedicate that rifle for 600 yards and beyond so once I figure out the load and how well the rifle preforms at distance it won't get shot much. I'll preserve the rifle/ ammo only for actual LR yotes, deer, and elk.
I may be wrong, but I'd guess you're at a different stage of shooting than the OP.